Author Topic: Wounded FedEx Driver Kills Armed Robber During Shootout in Philadelphia  (Read 1238 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/wounded-fedex-driver-kills-armed-robber-during-shootout-in-philadelphia-police-say/2262144/?_osource=db_npd_nbc_wcau_twt_shr

The 32-year-old FedEx driver traveled to the 600 block of Unruh Avenue in Northeast Philadelphia at 7:05 p.m. Tuesday to make a delivery. As he walked to the home he was approached by an armed robber who stole items from his FedEx truck, according to investigators. The robber then opened fire, shooting the driver in the abdomen.

The driver, who police said was armed with his own weapon, returned fire, striking the robber several times. The injured robber managed to escape with several stolen items.

Looks like the driver was prepared and was carrying.  I hope he recovers fully.  I also hope Fedex doesn't fire him. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Wounded FedEx Driver Kills Armed Robber During Shootout in Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 11:04:48 AM »
^^^They probably will. FedEx has a policy against employees having firearms or weapons on company property, in company vehicles, and in company buildings.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 11:17:20 AM »
Yep, more than likely he'll be fired and considering the location, a dem hell hole, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they, at least tried, to charge him with murder
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 11:19:05 AM »
^^^They probably will. FedEx has a policy against employees having firearms or weapons on company property, in company vehicles, and in company buildings.
I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect that - like Pizza Hut - obeying company policy is worth an employee's life.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »
Police have confirmed that the driver had a license to carry.

"A FedEx spokesperson would not reveal whether or not the company has a policy regarding its drivers being armed, saying only that, “The safety of our team members and service providers is a top priority..."

That's corporate code speak for "the *expletive deleted*er will be terminated when the publicity dies down."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 12:43:41 PM »
Oh, and in the next day or so I'm sure we'll be hearing from family/friends of the robber, telling us how he was turning his life around, how he was such a wonderful guy, and what right did that driver have to gun him down... and why did he steal those packages? Well how else was he supposed to get his Christmas gifts?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 12:47:18 PM »
Oh, and in the next day or so I'm sure we'll be hearing from family/friends of the robber, telling us how he was turning his life around, how he was such a wonderful guy, and what right did that driver have to gun him down... and why did he steal those packages? Well how else was he supposed to get his Christmas gifts?

Because Trump DUH!

Guy down the street blames every shooting in town on Trump because Trump's hatred causes all violence in the country now. Apparently it was all peace and sunshine under Obama
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 12:58:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure corporate policy is "allow police to kill driver and innocent bystanders in the event of a robbery/carjacking."
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 01:21:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure corporate policy is "allow police to kill driver and innocent bystanders in the event of a robbery/carjacking."

I thought that was UPS.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 02:02:58 PM »
I thought that was UPS.

Well, its been confirmed for UPS, followed by "praise LEO response after they fire 200 rounds into one of our trucks and driver."
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 04:52:25 PM »
Because Trump DUH!

Guy down the street blames every shooting in town on Trump because Trump's hatred causes all violence in the country now. Apparently it was all peace and sunshine under Obama

I've told the story before about the African immigrant I met in 2009. He told me the young men in our St. Louis area neighborhood were going to be productive members of society now, because Obama. I would like to have asked him for his opinion after the Ferguson nonsense happened just 8 miles down the road.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 05:05:05 PM »
I thought that was UPS.
Yeah, that was the brown colored trucks, not the white colors trucks.      [tinfoil]   Maybe I should rephrase that.

I was thinking this guy was shot while on the clock with Fedex.  He might get fired for having a gun, but Fedex is on the hook for the medical care and recovery.  Might be cheaper to keep him employed, put him on short term disability until he recovers, then fire him once he is released to full time work. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 05:52:57 PM »
If Fed Ex is as concerned as they say about driver safety, they'd arm all of their drivers.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 06:13:11 PM »
I think of the times I've heard stuff like, "But what are the odds of someone carjacking / home invading / robbing your cab or Fedex truck / whatever ?"

I have to reply, "It's not a question of the odds of it happening.  It's the stakes involved. Life or death."

They sometimes have to think about that for a while, but it usually shuts them up.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2019, 09:28:00 PM »
If Fed Ex is as concerned as they say about driver safety, they'd arm all of their drivers.

Do they say they are concerned about driver safety?  (I've never heard them say that, but if they do they are lying) To big corporations, employees are not assets, they are expenses and liabilities.  If they care at all whether you live or die, they'd rather you died as long as they don't have to pay too much to your widow.  I'm not singling out FedEx or UPS, they are all that way; the only lives that matter are the senior executives.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 09:31:55 PM »
On the plus side for FedEx, they can now claim delivery speeds of up to 1000 feet per second.*

*Depending on caliber, barrel length, etc.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 07:48:25 AM »
"Do they say they are concerned about driver safety? "

Well, yeah. I quoted the company spokesman...

“The safety of our team members and service providers is a top priority..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 05:26:48 PM »
"Do they say they are concerned about driver safety? "

Well, yeah. I quoted the company spokesman...

“The safety of our team members and service providers is a top priority..."

Yes you did; I wasn't paying attention again.  ;/  He's still lying, the company cares more about the truck than they do the driver.
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 07:16:03 PM »
I thought FedEx Ground drivers were independent contractors and owned their own trucks.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2019, 09:16:51 AM »
I thought FedEx Ground drivers were independent contractors and owned their own trucks.

That's a new one on me. The only Fedex ground drivers I have seen have been uniformed Fedex employees in the larger Fedex trucks, the only difference being there was green in the paint scheme for the ground trucks. One of those big trucks seems kinda spendy for a guy on Fedex ground delivery pay.

Maybe they have some independent drivers in BFE areas?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2019, 12:23:26 PM »
Fedex drivers seem to have "some" autonomy. I ordered an item that Fedex first scheduled for delivery on Monday, Dec. 9. Then their website changed delivery to Tuesday, Dec. 10.

The item arrived Sunday, Dec. 8, about 9 in the evening. The driver said the company had "overloaded" him and he was trying to catch up.

I've received other Fedex deliveries as late as 10:30 PM on a Saturday.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain