Author Topic: Army's New Huge Barrel Packing 155mm Howitzer Doubles Range To 40 Miles In Tests  (Read 878 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Army's New Huge Barrel Packing 155mm Howitzer Doubles Range To 40 Miles In Tests
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/24238/armys-new-huge-barrel-packing-155mm-howitzer-doubles-range-to-40-miles-in-tests

I stumbled across this in one of the semi-spam emails.  Rocket assisted artillery is pretty awesome.  I wonder if the payload is the same or not.  May not matter a great deal.  I am also curious just how high an altitude these reach. 

The Army Wants Longer Barreled Howitzers To Fire Ramjet-Powered And Other Special Shells
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/21598/the-army-wants-longer-barreled-howitzers-to-fire-ramjet-powered-and-other-special-shells

The addition of a ramjet-powered artillery shell could push the maximum range of these weapons out to more than 60 miles. The Army has yet to say what specific designs it might be looking at with regards to this type of ammunition, but has made it clear it is very interested in the concept.

Pretty cool stuff if you like weapons in general. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Army's New Huge Barrel Packing 155mm Howitzer Doubles Range To 40 Miles In Tests
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/24238/armys-new-huge-barrel-packing-155mm-howitzer-doubles-range-to-40-miles-in-tests

I stumbled across this in one of the semi-spam emails.  Rocket assisted artillery is pretty awesome.  I wonder if the payload is the same or not.  May not matter a great deal.  I am also curious just how high an altitude these reach. 

The Army Wants Longer Barreled Howitzers To Fire Ramjet-Powered And Other Special Shells
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/21598/the-army-wants-longer-barreled-howitzers-to-fire-ramjet-powered-and-other-special-shells

Pretty cool stuff if you like weapons in general. 

I DO!   Is it NFA?   [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
I DO!   Is it NFA?   [tinfoil]
I figure Destructive Device at least. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
I was imagining what would happen if the rocket assist tech gets so good they can push artillery into low orbit.  Give artillery support to troops in Afghanistan from Nebraska.  Of course, other countries might object to sending unmanned explosive shells over their territory.   =D

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Winning!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
I was imagining what would happen if the rocket assist tech gets so good they can push artillery into low orbit.  Give artillery support to troops in Afghanistan from Nebraska.  Of course, other countries might object to sending unmanned explosive shells over their territory.   =D

That's called an ICBM

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
I figure Destructive Device at least. 

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
I wonder if the ammo will be as expensive as the special 155mm rounds used by the cannon on the new Zumwalt class destroyers?

With the Navy's rocket assisted shells costing something over $800,000 each, the destroyer probably won't have a full ammo loadout when deployed. As for training -  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend

Those things had a maximum range of 20 miles, but 10 miles was more likely.  Was that far enough away to not get severe radiation poisoning, or was manning one of those guns a suicide mission?

The yield of the W9 warhead was a lot higher than the "Davy Crockett" portable nukes; I think the W9 was about like what we dropped on Japan, just in a much smaller package.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
Those things had a maximum range of 20 miles, but 10 miles was more likely.  Was that far enough away to not get severe radiation poisoning, or was manning one of those guns a suicide mission?
From what I've read, if you were 10 miles away from a Hiroshima-level detonation, you wouldn't be in too much danger from the direct effects of the bomb apart from flash blindness.

For a ground burst generating lots of fallout, being downwind 10 miles away would be a problem.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain