Author Topic: Rivian Electric Truck  (Read 961 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Rivian Electric Truck
« on: December 26, 2019, 10:09:23 AM »
The Rivian electric truck can do this:

https://youtu.be/yzwM8KE2L3I

Way too rich for my blood, but you've gotta love it. I've gotten myself into a lot of predicaments where it would have been handy.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Rivian Electric Truck
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 11:59:45 AM »
When I can buy one used for $8000 (with batteries that still hold a good amount of charge) let me know.
Formerly sumpnz

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 12:21:47 PM »
That looks like what Musk's electric truck should have been.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 12:34:09 PM »
That looks like what Musk's electric truck should have been.

Yeah, I don't know what Musk was thinking with that design other than "urban hipster". The Rivian actually looks similar to any 4 door Platinum F150 you might see on the road, and about the same price. Give it an extended cab model with a longer bed, and that's a useful truck. I'd consider one after they're proven if they were at Ford XLT prices, but I wouldn't buy one at that price just like I wouldn't buy a Platinum F150 at that price.

I just think that turn feature is cool. I know nothing about the engineering, but now that I see it, wonder why no one has done it before if not for pickups, for offroad vehicles or heck, for UPS vans.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 12:38:40 PM »
Yeah, I don't know what Musk was thinking with that design other than "urban hipster". The Rivian actually looks similar to any 4 door Platinum F150 you might see on the road, and about the same price. Give it an extended cab model with a longer bed, and that's a useful truck. I'd consider one after they're proven if they were at Ford XLT prices, but I wouldn't buy one at that price just like I wouldn't buy a Platinum F150 at that price.

I just think that turn feature is cool. I know nothing about the engineering, but now that I see it, wonder why no one has done it before if not for pickups, for offroad vehicles or heck, for UPS vans.

Electric has the advantage of being able to put separate motors at each wheel.  So you can very precisely deliver different torque to each one, including forward and reverse directions.  ICE vehicles have to run a driveshaft through a transmission and then a differential to get to the wheels.  Not sure how you could get that "tank turn" to work.  There's probably a way, but it's not obvious to me.
Formerly sumpnz

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 01:50:06 PM »
When I can buy one used for $8000 (with batteries that still hold a good amount of charge) let me know.

Having recently bought a new work truck, that 8k won't get you all that much ICE truck these days. 

That Rivian is a neat truck, and they know their customer base.  They said at launch a couple years ago they were aiming it at luxury truck buyers, and it's competitive in that market.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 02:35:10 PM »
I thought I read recently that Amazon also made a big investment in Rivian, and they are working on electric delivery vans, presumably for Amazon and other logistics customers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 03:02:39 PM »

It needs 4 motors to work; one for each wheel.  Or really complicated front and rear differentials.  Rivian uses four motors, which is one of the reasons the truck is so expensive. 

Tesla typically uses only one motor on the rear diff.  The dual motor/AWD feature is available

I really like the quirks and features of the Rivian, but I will have to wait until it has proven itself.  Ford and Amazon have invested in Rivian, so at least they believe in the products.  Rivian will also build a SUV on the same platform.  It looks like an oversized Bronco.  https://rivian.com/r1s/

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 04:05:42 PM »
Jeep made a "zero turn" concept vehicle several years ago, using a conventional HEMI internal combustion engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b5zH0G5pxE

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 04:15:09 PM »
Rivian will also build a SUV on the same platform.  It looks like an oversized Bronco.  https://rivian.com/r1s/

They lie.

The "blurb" on the SUV says the range is "up to 400+ miles" -- "Boston to NYC and back." I just double checked with Google Maps to verify my recollection -- the shortest route from Boston to NYC is 220 miles, one way.

And what does "Up to 400+ miles" mean, anyway? "Up to" means we can expect to get less than that usually, maybe that if we're lucky, but never more than that. So when "that" is not a fixed number -- what is it?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 05:56:56 PM »
They lie.

The "blurb" on the SUV says the range is "up to 400+ miles" -- "Boston to NYC and back." I just double checked with Google Maps to verify my recollection -- the shortest route from Boston to NYC is 220 miles, one way.

And what does "Up to 400+ miles" mean, anyway? "Up to" means we can expect to get less than that usually, maybe that if we're lucky, but never more than that. So when "that" is not a fixed number -- what is it?

Up to 400 miles with the radio, lights, and climate control all turned off, while driving 30 MPH.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 06:04:10 PM »
Up to 400 miles with the radio, lights, and climate control all turned off, while driving 30 MPH.

Yep.  I take about a 20% penalty in winter driving.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?