Author Topic: Summer road trip  (Read 840 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Summer road trip
« on: December 29, 2019, 11:10:59 PM »
Swmbo is trying to plan a summer road trip with the kids.  I'd probably join for a portion, health allowing.  We live 80 miles north of Seattle.  Road trip would possibly go out to Glacier National Park, Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, then out to Denver to see my sister, the northern Arizona to see my parents.  Likely hit places like Zion National Park and other sights in Arizona and Utah and eastern California.  Then hit Disneyland, and some sights in CA like Sequoia National Park, and Yosemite.  Then head back home.  All told it would probably be a 4 week trip. 

One question for the hive mind is the best firearm choice for such a trip.  California is of course the biggest concern, but although national parks have gotten better there are still rules, and I'm not up to date on those.

Gun would be mostly for 4-legged critter defense.  2-legged critters are also a concern.  I have an expired CCW permit, but it's (or was last time) easy to renew.  Swmbo hasn't had one since probably 2008.  But again, should be easy to get a WA permit. 

Anything we buy for this trip will get plenty of exercise before we go.  Especially since swmbo would, of necessity, be without me for half to 3/4 of the duration. 

Also would appreciate tips on how best to secure it when we can't legally have it on our person.  And if we'd need CCW permits from other than WA to cover most states we would traverse.  I know Oregon is a PITA as they won't recognize any other state's permits.  And of course CA is no-bueno for actually carrying.  I assume while in CA we'd need to lock it up in the car.
Formerly sumpnz

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Summer road trip
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 12:40:13 AM »
I believe the rule for National Parks is that they default to the laws of the state in which the park is located. I'm not sure just how that plays out for Yellowstone, which I believe straddles the state border.

My resource is usually www.handgunlaw.us . Unfortunately, as of Sunday evening Gary Slider, the administrator, confirmed they were experiencing some kind of technical problems that affected accessing information on the various states. I'm sure they'll get it straightened out, but be aware that it might take a couple of days.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 12:55:18 AM »
The thing with national parks is that all the buildings are posted. So you either need a bolted in car safe or plan on ignoring the law. I would assume you have some sort of gun already, is that not a suitable option?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 02:00:37 AM »
The thing with national parks is that all the buildings are posted. So you either need a bolted in car safe or plan on ignoring the law. I would assume you have some sort of gun already, is that not a suitable option?

Federal law. 18 U.S. Code Section 930. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/930

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vehicle+gun+safe&s=price-asc-rank&qid=1577689378&ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 09:25:08 AM »
Hawkmoon gave the pertinent info on National Parks and state laws. I carried all over Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. I carried concealed, but open carry is allowed. I never did because there are so many people from so many countries, I didn't want to take a chance of a hoplophobe panicking. Gun was locked in the car when I entered a building. I recommend renewing your CCW. It will be good everywhere you mentioned except of course, CA. Also I believe you need a "resident" permit from your home state for CO - if you're from WA but carry a UT permit, that's a no-go in CO.

For Yosemite and Sequoia, and CA in general, your gun is going to be unloaded in a locked container while traveling. The "locked container" can be pretty much anything, even a rucksack. You can keep the unloaded gun and ammo in the same container. Hence, a semi-auto is probably best since you can keep the loaded magazine and gun together and I would think making the gun operable is faster this way than a revolver, even with a speed loader.

I always carried a small steel pistol case that has a steel cable to secure it under a seat. I used the combo style, and always kept the combo one number off of "open" (e.g., combo =123, I kept it at 124). This is really only "smash and grab" protection, but hidden under other stuff, it works.

On the trip, if you need any ideas for cool hikes or stuff to see in the CA National Parks or the Eastern Sierra, PM me when you have a schedule, and I can give you some neat day hikes and sights to see.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 09:29:43 AM »
Gun would be mostly for 4-legged critter defense.  2-legged critters are also a concern. 

Brown bear is probably the only 4 legged threat, need something bigger than a 9mm if you are serious about that threat.

If I recall correctly, Bison kill/injure more tourist than any critter, secret to them is stay the away from them. Observe from a distance, stay in the vehicle if they are crossing the road. I've had bison walk along side my vehicle in Yellowstone.

NP staff do a pretty good job of harassing dangerous wildlife to keep them a safe distance from tourists.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 09:33:42 AM »
Oh, sorry - I didn't see the "4-legged critter" thing. Don't shoot a black bear (about the only big animal you'll see) in National Parks in CA. You'll go to jail.

This is really nothing to be that worried about. Yelling or throwing rocks has chased off any black bear I've ever wanted to chase off. Mostly I like to observe them though. If you're camping, keep your camp clean and use bear boxes.

Focus your firearm  carry on two-legged varmints.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 09:47:20 AM »
I think that everyone who lives in the West should have a Utah permit.  If I recall correctly, Skagit Arms in Burlington either has the class, or has connections with local trainers who do.  However, since you live in Washington, Utah does now require that you also have a Washington CPL, and you have to send a scan of it along with your Utah permit application.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 09:54:10 AM »
I bought a Liberty cable tethered lock box earlier this year on Amazon. It was $20 or so, but is no longer being sold (or I can't find it if it is).

It's a keyed lock; I wish I had gotten either a simplex lock or a combination lock, but no big deal. It's well built. I also keep a couple of $20s under the padding as emergency road money.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 11:11:02 AM »
I think that everyone who lives in the West should have a Utah permit.  If I recall correctly, Skagit Arms in Burlington either has the class, or has connections with local trainers who do.  However, since you live in Washington, Utah does now require that you also have a Washington CPL, and you have to send a scan of it along with your Utah permit application.

If you can swing it an Idaho Enhanced is even better than a UT, you also get New Mexico with it. The only problem is you have to get it in Idaho because of the shooting requirement, class room and dropping off the packet to the local Sheriff.

When I recently went to CA I took a single stack 1911 with me. I didn't want to somehow run afoul of their magazine laws also. I used a small lock box to lock up my guns in the car while I was in CA, with the ammo separated from the gun.

Oregon, if out of the main cities and into rural OR you can open carry without a permit. The cities have their own laws so you need to know them. Vehicle carry without a permit in OR has its own rules also. https://www.usacarry.com/oregon-open-carry.html

bob