Author Topic: Potential Embassy Breach in Baghdad  (Read 4208 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Potential Embassy Breach in Baghdad
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2020, 11:11:27 AM »
Saw some articles where they were labeled this event along the lines as being Trump's Jimmy Carter moment as in it will have the effect on Trump as it did on JC. Got to wonder about these people sometimes.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2020, 09:22:56 PM »
They're not dealing with Obama anymore.
Things could get interesting

(AP) - Iraqi state TV and three Iraqi officials say Iranian Gen. Qassim Soleimani, the head of Iran’s elite Quds Force, has been killed in an airstrike at Baghdad’s international airport.

The officials said the strike also killed Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the deputy commander of Iran’s-backed militias known as the Popular Mobilization Forces.

Iran’s Gen. Soleimani killed in airstrike at Baghdad airport
https://www.wave3.com/2020/01/03/iraq-rockets-fired-baghdad-airport-people-killed/

Baghdad rocket attack kills Iranian military leaders including Gen. Qassim Soleimani, reports say
https://www.foxnews.com/world/rockets-baghdad-airport-injuries-reported
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2020, 09:34:12 PM »
Obama would probably be getting another pallet of money ready
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2020, 09:45:01 PM »
Somebody had some awfully good intel to land crappy rockets right on top of some very good targets. [popcorn]
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2020, 10:52:22 PM »
Somebody had some awfully good intel to land crappy rockets right on top of some very good targets. [popcorn]

Unclear reporting.  Those targets were hit by US Guided Munitions.

An official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that Muhandis had arrived to the airport in a convoy to receive Soleimani whose plane had arrived from either Lebanon or Syria. The airstrike occurred as soon as he descended from the plane to be greeted by Muhandis and his companions, killing them all.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2020, 11:16:27 PM »
Yeah, kinda what I assumed from the start. Since when does a Katusha pinpoint anything. Hellfire? Crappy reporting also said american helos in the area.

I can't really see how this is bad. Obligatory don't get into land wars in Asia thing, but this fellow had it coming. May escalate dramatically from here, probably on the water. Hopefully point defenses on some of my former homes all work well. I can't see Iran doing too well, they are fresh out of regional friends and have a population that is already pissed.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2020, 11:45:01 PM »
If we have a fight coming with Iran, at least go about it.  Iran isn't powerful enough to justify some long cold war.  We also don't need to see Iraq get further in bed with Iran.  And it seems this guy is a long standing enemy of the US and perhaps the Iraqis killed were as well. 

We will see how it pans out.  I don't know enough to judge the action too far. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2020, 11:52:53 PM »
I'm sure many, if not all, of the dems will be up in arms over this tomorrow.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2020, 10:34:16 PM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/hillary-clinton-slams-trump-for-not-taking-a-more-hands-off-approach-to-embassy-attack
Hillary Clinton Slams Trump For Not Taking A More 'Hands-Off' Approach To Embassy Attack

She later admitted her criticisms might not matter, because, "What difference, at this point, does it make?"
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2020, 10:47:24 PM »
https://cnsnews.com/article/international/patrick-goodenough/iran-backed-iraqi-militias-vow-retaliate-after-us-military
Here is an article on the US air strikes that are supposed to have triggered this.

It seems the embassy attack did not discourage airstrikes after all.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife