Author Topic: Bad luck video  (Read 887 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Bad luck video
« on: January 10, 2020, 01:40:46 PM »

https://youtu.be/2uaJ1D2tXOA (10:35)

Compendium of weird accidents and incidents.  Some are pretty sphincter-shrinking and with many of them I don't think you could say there were no injuries.

Interesting that we're still calling it "filming" and "footage" and "did you get that on tape?"

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Bad luck video
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 01:56:17 PM »
"Interesting that we're still calling it "filming" and "footage" and "did you get that on tape?"

I'm not going to watch that video at work, but yeah, some idioms and sayings hold on a long time AFTER they make no real logical sense anymore...

One of my favorites is "get him on the blower" for getting in touch with someone by phone. But it goes back to the days when speaking tubes were a lot more common.

Some systems had caps with built in whistles. To call someone you'd uncap the tube on your end and literally blow into it to sound the whistle. Ah, here you go... a reproduction Royal Navy voice tube mouth piece with alert whistle...

https://www.trinitymarine.co.uk/shop/ships-speaking-tube-bakelite-mouth-piece-whistle/

Years ago I visited a museum in a restored mansion and it had an operable speaking tube system that was still in place along side the "modern" 1920s electric sound intercom...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 02:00:32 PM »
And how could we ever forget...

Bring me a beer from the icebox!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 02:03:22 PM »
Eastern Europeans are stone cold calm in the face of stuff going down.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 02:17:33 PM »
"Interesting that we're still calling it "filming" and "footage" and "did you get that on tape?"

I'm not going to watch that video at work, but yeah, some idioms and sayings hold on a long time AFTER they make no real logical sense anymore...

One of my favorites is "get him on the blower" for getting in touch with someone by phone. But it goes back to the days when speaking tubes were a lot more common.

Some systems had caps with built in whistles. To call someone you'd uncap the tube on your end and literally blow into it to sound the whistle. Ah, here you go... a reproduction Royal Navy voice tube mouth piece with alert whistle...

https://www.trinitymarine.co.uk/shop/ships-speaking-tube-bakelite-mouth-piece-whistle/

Years ago I visited a museum in a restored mansion and it had an operable speaking tube system that was still in place along side the "modern" 1920s electric sound intercom...
Never heard the "blower" one.  I guess "dial a phone" is just as outdated.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 02:27:40 PM »
Get him on the wire is also going the way of the dodo, but people still have land lines so it's not dead yet...

Of course, I know someone who also has an ice box...

Except he uses it as a liquor cabinet....

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 02:32:21 PM »
Lots of interesting incidents on that video.  I think the one where the car hits the moose surprised me the most.  I would be curious what the injuries were from that one.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 02:35:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu08SKv4qAU
This came up after that video.  Has some interesting weather events.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 03:15:04 PM »
I grew up with "icebox", likely because in German you say, literally, "cool closet" (kuhle schrank) for refrigerator, so the translation to "icebox" probably sounded better to my parents. Anyway, heard it so much as a kid, I still say "icebox" today.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 04:48:33 PM »
Eastern Europeans are stone cold calm in the face of stuff going down.

Its a Slav thing.

What we would call a 'life shattering event,' they call 'Tuesday.'

Example: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/pilots-shoulder-impaled-huge-tree-12642881
"A pilot who crashed his microlight into a tree and was skewered by a giant branch through his shoulder brushed off the serious injury by telling the doctors "I am Groot!"."

I'm convinced the only pain he felt was the loss of his favorite track suit.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 12:00:22 AM »
Need to create account and sign in.  :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero