Author Topic: Jussie Smollett indicted.  (Read 8945 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Jussie Smollett indicted.
« on: February 11, 2020, 05:56:28 PM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Jussie Smollett indicted.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 06:11:57 PM »
I'll believe it when he's convicted and given the same sentence a random schmuck off the street would get.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 06:23:25 PM »
^^^
What he said.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 08:47:47 PM »
I'll believe it when he's convicted and given the same sentence a random schmuck off the street would get.

To borrow a phrase from RKL:

^^^
What he said.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 08:49:42 PM »
Sorry, haters, but I agree with what Ben said.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 09:11:57 PM »
So y'all think a slap on the hand plea deal is in the works?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 09:21:11 PM »
So y'all think a slap on the hand plea deal is in the works?

Sorry to come off as a deplorable, racist, homophobe, but he's an elitist celebrity*, black, and gay. He's got connections and diversity points. It might not be a "get out of jail free" card, but I bet it'll be one of those lame ass probation/community service things where the community service is a catered event. He'll also probably end up making money out of the whole thing.

* Though I never even heard of him before this whole thing started.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 04:11:46 AM »
What do we think the normal sentence for false reporting of an assault would be?

I can't imagine that's a maximum sentence, jail time kind of thing, especially with no prior record. Does anyone know of a case where someone was prosecuted for false reporting?

Anecdotally I know a couple wives/girlfriends that falsely reported assaults,  and when they recanted they just let the guy go and dropped it.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 07:29:29 AM »
What do we think the normal sentence for false reporting of an assault would be?

I can't imagine that's a maximum sentence, jail time kind of thing, especially with no prior record. Does anyone know of a case where someone was prosecuted for false reporting?

Anecdotally I know a couple wives/girlfriends that falsely reported assaults,  and when they recanted they just let the guy go and dropped it.

I bet those cases weren't international news stories that embarrassed the city and wasted vast sums of tax-payer funds.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 07:48:59 AM »

While it would never happen in real life, in Ben's World, the false reporter would face the same jail time as the innocent people they set up. In Smollett's case, I'll WAG that the "Trump supporters" would have gotten at least five years for the black/gay hate crime.

Also in Ben's World, there would be no such thing as a hate crime, or if there were, the punishment would be the same as for any other crime.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 07:50:52 AM »
Is he still wearing the noose around, or has he finally taken it off?

Wasn't that one of the rumors, that he alleged wore the noose for several hours after the incident?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 10:50:33 AM »
I bet those cases weren't international news stories that embarrassed the city and wasted vast sums of tax-payer funds.

Quote from: Ben
While it would never happen in real life, in Ben's World, the false reporter would face the same jail time as the innocent people they set up. In Smollett's case, I'll WAG that the "Trump supporters" would have gotten at least five years for the black/gay hate crime.

Got it. This case is kinda different from a nobody filing a false report.

But there were a bunch of agreement's to Ben's post:

Quote from: Ben

I don't disagree off hand, but I wonder what we think a random schmuck would get.  It's a genuine request for data.

I can google the law and find the max penalties, but I don't think those are likely for anyone, so how are we judging whether Jussie get's more, less, or the same justice a non celeb would get?  Does anyone know of a case where someone got jail time for faking an assault?  Any of those fake SJ folks from last election go to jail?  What is the norm?  While I understand that the City of Chicago spent some money and manpower investigating, it's not like it is known for great fiscal management.  His crime's "victim" is pretty nebulous.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 10:52:27 AM »

Wasn't that one of the rumors, that he alleged wore the noose for several hours after the incident?

I thought there was video to that effect.

I recall having seen at least a picture of the "noose" made with cotton clothesline rope around the French actor's neck. 
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 11:28:06 AM »
I don't disagree off hand, but I wonder what we think a random schmuck would get.  It's a genuine request for data.

I'd be curious as well. I would say there is a difference between the people who smash their cars with a baseball bat and cry "X" diversity hate crime, and the Smollett types, where he both hired people to smack him around, and then we initially "had video of the attackers", and I'm not giving high odds that Smollett would have come clean if some innocent randos were picked up and prosecuted. I think he would have let them go to jail, no problem.

Just like some of the stuff we've talked about in the past, where someone was accused and identified, but it was a case of spite and they were innocent. Their lives were still ruined, even after they were cleared of a crime. I can see letting the "car beater" go with probation or whatever, but when you plan something that would get innocent people locked up, you need to be locked up.

Not really the same thing, but it seems these celebrities involved in the college admissions scandal are getting off easy, and easier than someone without fame or money.

Then I guess we have the other side of it, where, for example, Roger Stone was up for 9 years in prison for something that would get someone else a slap, or wouldn't even be considered a crime. All because he's famous in the wrong way by being aligned with Trump.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 12:20:03 PM »
I thought that it was a horrible precedent to not prosecute someone trying to cause social upheaval by committing fake hate crimes, I also think its probably worse, if there is no meaningful punishment handed down if he is prosecuted.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 12:24:45 PM »
I thought that it was a horrible precedent to not prosecute someone trying to cause social upheaval by committing fake hate crimes, I also think its probably worse, if there is no meaningful punishment handed down if he is prosecuted.

How can you prosecute someone when they self-identify as an honest person?

That would be hurty and wrong.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2020, 12:27:48 PM »

Not a rumor -- documented. He was still wearing it when the police showed up at his apartment in response to his call.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2020, 12:35:09 PM »
Not a rumor -- documented. He was still wearing it when the police showed up at his apartment in response to his call.

That's residue of the vision Obama had for America.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 12:41:58 PM »
Interesting.

I'd not followed the case closely at all, but I remember when it originally happened I just had this nagging feeling that there was something off about the allegations.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2020, 01:30:38 PM »
Got it. This case is kinda different from a nobody filing a false report.

But there were a bunch of agreement's to Ben's post:

I can google the law and find the max penalties, but I don't think those are likely for anyone, so how are we judging whether Jussie get's more, less, or the same justice a non celeb would get?  Does anyone know of a case where someone got jail time for faking an assault?  Any of those fake SJ folks from last election go to jail?  What is the norm?  While I understand that the City of Chicago spent some money and manpower investigating, it's not like it is known for great fiscal management.  His crime's "victim" is pretty nebulous.

I would like Smollett to receive the same sentence as any nobody who reported a fake crime, which was international news, and embarrassed the city, and wasted vast sums of taxpayer funds.

Or think of it this way. Some of us would prefer heavier penalties for crying wolf, and we'd like for it to start with that inarticulate America-hating homosexual with the silly name.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2020, 04:35:35 PM »
I agree.  He should be prosecuted.  If found guilty, he should get a consistent sentence and forced to serve it out 100%.  No good behavior or early release.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2020, 04:47:49 PM »
I would like Smollett to receive the same sentence as any nobody who reported a fake crime

Some have suggested that Smollett should receive the same punishment as the perpetrator of the "hate crime", had it actually occurred.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 03:38:16 AM »
I would like Smollett to receive the same sentence as any nobody who reported a fake crime, which was international news, and embarrassed the city, and wasted vast sums of taxpayer funds.

And that sentance would be.........?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 11:53:43 AM »
Some have suggested that Smollett should receive the same punishment as the perpetrator of the "hate crime", had it actually occurred.

That is fine and all, but it sure seems like such a law would just be another in a long list of laws that don't really accomplish much.  Lying to police and/or perjury should offer plenty of punishment.  We need to simplify our criminal punishment laws and use them, not add on more.  If they actually prosecute him instead of doing the sweetheart plea deal, it should be enough.  

JN01

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 02:05:07 PM »
Six counts of disorderly conduct- I’m guessing he won’t be sent to the Big House.