Author Topic: The demise of the nuclear family  (Read 1015 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The demise of the nuclear family
« on: February 20, 2020, 03:10:03 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/03/the-nuclear-family-was-a-mistake/605536/

A very interesting article on the time frame in which the classic nuclear family flourished, how society supported that ideal, and how it all went away in recent years.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: The demise of the nuclear family
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 04:18:32 PM »
Yeah... he's wrong.

I'll pick out a few of his wrong-ideas:

During this period, a certain family ideal became engraved in our minds: a married couple with 2.5 kids.

Throughout the 70s, the ideal family had 4 or more children. It was only once we got to the 90s that people thought 2.5 was right.

For one thing, most women were relegated to the home. Many corporations, well into the mid-20th century, barred married women from employment: Companies would hire single women, but if those women got married, they would have to quit. Demeaning and disempowering treatment of women was rampant. Women spent enormous numbers of hours trapped inside the home under the headship of their husband, raising children.

Uh-huh. And would you say women are happier, on average, now? (I'll give you a hint, the answer is a resounding no.)

For another thing, nuclear families in this era were much more connected to other nuclear families than they are today—constituting a “modified extended family,” as the sociologist Eugene Litwak calls it, “a coalition of nuclear families in a state of mutual dependence.” Even as late as the 1950s, before television and air-conditioning had fully caught on, people continued to live on one another’s front porches and were part of one another’s lives. Friends felt free to discipline one another’s children.

Oh look! It's an issue with DISCONNECTED people, NOT the nuclear family. But if he'd have made that argument, he'd not got to pretend the family is the problem.

Eli Finkel, a psychologist and marriage scholar at Northwestern University, has argued that since the 1960s, the dominant family culture has been the “self-expressive marriage.” “Americans,” he has written, “now look to marriage increasingly for self-discovery, self-esteem and personal growth.” Marriage, according to the sociologists Kathryn Edin and Maria Kefalas, “is no longer primarily about childbearing and childrearing. Now marriage is primarily about adult fulfillment.”

Yeah, that's a problem with the FAMILY, oh yeah.
I'm not going to fisk the whole article, but he catalogues a huge number of SOCIETAL issues that have attacked the family and claimed it shows how the "nuclear family" is a failure.

Ok, one more, I loved this one:

But these conditions did not last. The constellation of forces that had briefly shored up the nuclear family began to fall away, and the sheltered family of the 1950s was supplanted by the stressed family of every decade since. Some of the strains were economic. Starting in the mid-’70s, young men’s wages declined, putting pressure on working-class families in particular. The major strains were cultural. Society became more individualistic and more self-oriented. People put greater value on privacy and autonomy. A rising feminist movement helped endow women with greater freedom to live and work as they chose.

Hmm.... Soooo.... we increased by almost DOUBLE the number of young people available for the workforce and we saw young men's wages decline, significantly.

WOW, that's just a head-scratcher on how that could have happened.

Seems to me we have a big problem in how society views and supports the family AND how we encourage people to think of themselves first, their children... well, probably second, but way farther away, and their spouse, if they feel like they love them right now.

THEN we also tell people, (as Mr. Brooks cohort Kevin Williamson gleefully has written) to just let their awful little towns die and just move somewhere else. Leaving behind all the family structure and built up social capital.

Seems we have an issue with valuing the family, not an issue with the nature of the family.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 08:25:56 PM »
Article is interesting, but the author is wrong on basically everything, except coming close to the truth with maybe 1 sentence:

We want close families, but not the legal, cultural, and sociological constraints that made them possible

Because the family has been destroyed by feminism, amoralism and progressive social policy, the author states that families are "brittle" and not so great actually anyway, except for all the ways he lists in which they actually were great. Those grapes are probably sour anyway...

It sort of reminds me about people who claim millennials like living in crowded apartments and not being able to afford a car, when actually they do those things because it's all they can afford.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 08:06:40 AM »
Article is interesting, but the author is wrong on basically everything, except coming close to the truth with maybe 1 sentence:

Because the family has been destroyed by feminism, amoralism and progressive social policy, the author states that families are "brittle" and not so great actually anyway, except for all the ways he lists in which they actually were great. Those grapes are probably sour anyway...

It sort of reminds me about people who claim millennials like living in crowded apartments and not being able to afford a car, when actually they do those things because it's all they can afford.

Nailed it.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 03:38:16 PM »
I agree with you all.

Over forty percent of kids in the USA are bastards.  I expect that to grow to a large majority within my lifetime.

The divorce rate hovers around 50%.

Sexual morality has become a joke for most people. 

The USA is in serious trouble.

Having and keeping healthy families requires severe sexual restraint, and shaming people who violate those norms.

Women who enter marriage as virgins have a very low divorce rate (~9% - correlation or causation? probably both).  If a woman isn't... see the divorce rate above.

We teach women to be "strong" and "independent" and to pursue professional careers...and to delay marriage, while having sex with a long string of men.  Feminism heaps contempt on men, and despises the idea that a husband is the head of the family.

No wonder a huge percent of young men have no desire to be married.  Who wants to be married to a feminist slut who won't respect you as leader of the house, and divorce you about 40% of the time?