Author Topic: Yeah, my website...again  (Read 1900 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Yeah, my website...again
« on: March 02, 2007, 07:53:23 PM »
I've been working away at my website <a href="http://www.gunshopfinder.com" target="_blank">http://www.gunshopfinder.com[/url] for almost three years.

It's working, and it's bringing in a decent amount of money. Not enough money yet for it to be my sole source of income, but it's getting closer.

When I started the site, there wasn't another out there that did what mine does. In hindsight, I suspect that some people who thought of the idea looked at the time involved and said, "nah."

Anyway, today I was checking my Google rankings for various search terms. And I was really surprised to find another site trying to do what mine does.

As some owners of gun stores on APS, THR and TFL will attest, the time I spend with them on the phone getting information about their stores can get pretty lengthy (not to mention the time just chatting each other up).

If you're so inclined, please visit this competitor site and let me know what you think. I found it horrible to navigate, and the pages took forever to load.

Worse, I found that there seems to be just two gun stores on the site. One is a fake store, and the other is I don't know what.

If immitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then I wish this guy the best.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:44:55 AM by Monkeyleg »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Yeah, my website...again
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 07:59:25 PM »
Just checked out your website for the first time, Dick.

How do you acquire your entries?

I ask because I know of several gunshops in my neck of the woods that aren't on your list. 

Is your data gathered by volunteer inputs, or do you have a system?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 08:57:25 PM »
Gewehr98, you just checked it out for the first time? I guess I must not be spamming the forums enough. Wink" border="0

(For those of you who have read enough of my whines about my site, just move on to the next topic. There's nothing new here.)

Actually, I try to be non-intrusive, and not abuse Oleg Volk and Rich Lucibella's hospitality.

When I started cold-calling shops back in late 2004, I got a lot of second-rate shops whose owners were suspicious of "free" offers. Can't say that I blame them, as I've been burned as well. Still, there were a lot of them that went for the free offer, then renewed; others took their free time, didn't give the idea any more thought, and hung up on me.

As traffic increased rapidly into 2005, I got a phone call from Denny Fallon at Shooting Industry News magazine. He'd seen my site, was intrigued by the idea, and wanted to do a story on it.

That led to stores contacting me, wanting to be on the site.

The article also led to one of the sales reps for Accusports contacting me, and asking for details about the site. He thought it would be a great idea for Accusports retailers to give the free trial a run. And he sent my email reply to other Accusports reps.

I'm very, very good at getting websites ranked on the first page of the major search engines. If you do a search for "Remington shotguns" or "Sigarms pistols" or "New York gun shops" or "Texas gun shops," or just about any other term, I'm first-page for just about every term I decided was important.

I also read every post on THR and other forums about good and bad gun shops. If somebody is talking up a shop, I'll contact the owner. Sometimes it takes months before he and I can connect, I get the relevant information about his store(s), and he does the free six-month trial.

Somewhere between two-thirds and three quarters of the shops I have on the free trials pay the $60 for six months or $100 per year to renew. Those store owners either see $10 a month (or less) as the least expensive advertising they can buy, see it as additional exposure on the internet at a price they can't get anywhere else, have received new customers either by phone, email or in person, or just realize that they're getting exposure to people who wouldn't otherwise know their stores existed.

The site works. It really does. Not for every shop, but for most.

I've been lazy in putting together a Testimonials page, but finally have started. It's at <a href="http://www.gunshopfinder.com/testimonials.html" target="_blank">http://www.gunshopfinder.com/testimonials.html[/url]. There's a lot more shop owners whose comments I need to put on that page.

(For those who have heard all this from me before, just stop here and go on to the next thread).

Gewehr98, here's what I really offer, and what 99% of the shop owners don't realize they're getting.

I've spent over five years learning and pefecting search engine optimization skills. My site doesn't rank first-page by accident.

I do freelance search engine optimization (SEO) work for a company in Michigan. That company charges $2000 a month or more per client for my services.

How many gun store owners would pay that much? Yet, they're getting the equivalent of that for $10 a month or less.

(OK, another end of rant. Continue at your own risk).

What I don't understand is why the owner of  is pursuing the avenue he is. I have an almost three-year head start on his site, lots of publicity, a fairly loyal customer base, and, frankly, a site that delivers more information. What's more, the owner of that site has created a Frankenstein that doesn't work.

He's trying to go up against GunsAmerica.com, Gunbroker.com, AuctionArms.com, my site, and a whole host of others.

OK, time to stop ranting. If anyone has the time to check out this new site, I'd appreciate your feedback.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:45:35 AM by Monkeyleg »

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 09:17:34 PM »
The site is ugly as sin, and I'm honestly too tired to do any research on it, but I'd bet money it's based on one of two famous internet schemes: ad or affiliate based revenue, or simply being a front for a single gun store posing as a "directory".  Like you said, doesn't seem to be much on there.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 09:45:55 PM »
Vodka7, thanks for at least looking at the site with tired eyes.

There's no point in someone trying to challenge Gunbroker.com, GunsAmerica.com, or AuctionArms.com. They've just become too firmly entrenched.

I spent a lot of time, and no small amount of money, creating a Classifieds section for my site at the outset. Problem was, nobody used it, even though it was free. And it actually had a better search function than the Top Three.

I see gun classified sites come and go constantly. Free or not, they don't get the traffic that the Big Three do.

Unless I've missed something, my site does what no other site does. I learned my lesson about trying to challenge established sites just by having a Classified section that nobody wanted to advertise in.

My concern is that this guy has moved ahead in position on me in two states. Up until now, I've been #1 for "(insert state) gun shops" for every state in the country.

I don't know how he got ahead of me in those two states, but I suspect it's another
Google Dance.

Time, and perserverance, will tell.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 09:26:37 AM »
That other site is too busy, cluttered. Ugly, too. But hey, competition is healthy, and you'll only look better and more professional by comparison, right? Smiley
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 12:03:58 PM »
Dick,

A friend of mine wants the new Remington Mod 105 CTi.  Can you tune me in to how to navigate your site to find a gun shop that might have one.  Seem to be pretty scarce.  Larry Correia doesn't have one, no ETA for new stock.

Thought I'd go to the Monkey's mouth rather than looking myself, kinda lazy today from shoveling and blowing snow.  angel

Send me a PM on THR if you would be so kind.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 01:27:42 PM »
Grampster, the shops don't list the individual models they carry, and my database isn't set up to hold all the models that are featured on my site. That would be a huge database.

If the 105 CTi is hard to find, I can add it to my "wish list" file. I have a lot of people email me, asking if any shops have this or that model of gun. When I'm calling the shops, I'll run down the list and see if the shops have anything. If they do, I email the person(s) who were looking.

So far I've found several M6 Scout carbines, and some other guns.

The hardest one to find was a pre-64 Winchester model 70. The guy was looking for one in .375 H&H, Supergrade or better, and in 98% or better condition.

I found him one that was NIB from 1951. I didn't even ask the price, just put the buyer in contact with the seller.

Right now I have someone who's looking for a fine English double rifle in .375 H&H. I'm having trouble finding one of those, so if anyone knows of a shop that has one, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 01:47:35 PM »
Thanks, Dick.  If you hear anything let me know.  Either Remington didn't make many or they misjudged the market's desire for the gun.  It's a featherweight and bottom ejector.  2 very nice features.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 08:22:20 PM »
Apples and pears.  Your site is about finding dealers.  That site is about finding guns. 

He's competing with Gunbroker and the like--why would a dealer pay to be on his site when he can list on one of the big guys?

FWIW, I found the pages loaded fairly quickly (I'm on dial-up), and while navigation wasn't terrible, it was nothing special.  As vodka7 said, it's not very pretty--I think my head would start to hurt after a while.

I wouldn't sweat it too much.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 08:38:15 PM »
Antibubba, I sweat this site every day.

I just did searches on Google again for "(insert state here) gun shops." I found myself out-ranked by a couple of other sites in eight states. That's more than last night.

A couple of times a year, Google tests a new algorithm, which usually results in bad search results. They then seem to go back to what was working for them before.

For over five years, I had a friend's shop ranked #1 for "Ed Brown pistols."

A few months ago, my friend's site disappeared completely for that phrase. Now it's back to #1 again.

Welcome to the roller coaster.