Author Topic: It's a conspiracy!  (Read 786 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
It's a conspiracy!
« on: March 11, 2020, 10:47:01 AM »
Darn chemtrail sniffing lizard people at it again  [tinfoil]

Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones charged with DWI near Austin, authorities say
https://www.statesman.com/news/20200310/conspiracy-theorist-alex-jones-charged-with-dwi-near-austin-authorities-say

But some think something is fishly

Alex Jones is arrested for a DWI in Austin, but there is ALL manner of suspicious activity surrounding the incident!
https://twitchy.com/brads-313037/2020/03/11/alex-jones-is-arrested-for-a-dwi-in-austin-but-there-is-all-manner-of-suspicious-activity-surrounding-the-incident/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
Re: It's a conspiracy!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 11:57:37 AM »
So according to the article, his BAC was measured below the 0.08 limit.  They still arrested him.  He was likely intoxicated pretty good at 8 PM.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 12:44:08 PM »
The aliens manipulated the BAC meter in retaliation for him spilling the beans.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 12:59:31 PM »
It's sad to say that while a conspiracy theory like this should be ridiculous, it wouldn't surprise me to find out they are actually trying to either shut him up or keep him from investigating something.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 01:27:00 PM »
So according to the article, his BAC was measured below the 0.08 limit.  They still arrested him.  He was likely intoxicated pretty good at 8 PM.
My understanding is the way it works in many states is this:
If you are over the legal limit as demonstrated by a calibrated breath test (not the little breathalizers the cop has, but the big one back at the station) or blood draw and operating a vehicle then that is enough to typically get a conviction for DUI/DWI.
If you are under the legal limit but are still showing signs of significant impairment (i.e., through failing the stupid human tricks) then they can get you for that.  Also, keep in mind that alcohol is not the only intoxicant that is typically covered by DUI/DWI.  Just because someone is below the legal limit for alcohol at the time they were tested doesn't mean they couldn't also be intoxicated on another substance and rendered unsafe to drive from that chemical, or through a combination of chemicals.

I have no idea in this case whether Alex Jones was breaking the law or not, or if he is being unreasonably prosecuted or not, but just being under the limit doesn't save you from a conviction.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 01:33:29 PM »

Cordex beat me to it.   Oregon is that way, not sure if TX is...   Even if you only blow a 0.02, if you fail the stupid human tricks, they can pop you for DUII.

Also, as he stated, there's other intoxicants besides EtOH
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 02:40:36 PM »
DWI- Driving while impaired, can be a damn broad brush, doesn't even have to be substance related. Too tired, too conservative, too black... [tinfoil]

I was told by a medical professional that me driving too soon after my shoulder surgery and still wearing a sling could be considered impaired driving.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 03:40:29 PM »
Cordex beat me to it.   Oregon is that way, not sure if TX is...   Even if you only blow a 0.02, if you fail the stupid human tricks, they can pop you for DUII.

Also, as he stated, there's other intoxicants besides EtOH
Which is why you don't do the stupid human tricks.  I am sure he has a decent lawyer.  

I am aware they can take you in for other reasons.  A few years ago there was a cop either near the Texas/Louisiana border (not sure which side) that finally got in trouble.  He arrested a bunch of people for DUI who had no alcohol in their system at all (and nothing else).  He was awarded for making more DUI arrests.  I think someone finally proved he was a liar in court.  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 03:53:13 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge