Author Topic: Anyone playing Crackdown for Xbox 360?  (Read 1405 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Anyone playing Crackdown for Xbox 360?
« on: March 03, 2007, 07:46:04 AM »
Holy crap, it's like video crack...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Dannyboy

• friend
Re: Anyone playing Crackdown for Xbox 360?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 08:01:17 AM »
Isn't that the new anti-GTA game?  The commercial's kinda funny but I haven't played it yet.  I'm waiting for Ghost Recon AW 2 and Brothers in Arms:  Hell's Highway.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 08:15:10 AM »
GTA = Grand Theft Auto?

Never played it, so I can't comment on it.

I loved the first couple of Ghost Recon games, but GRAW left me kind of cold.

My BIGGEST, and I mean BIGGEST and most crushing disappointment was Call of Duty 3. It didn't even come close to matching COD2 for individual game play or multiplayer.

And the backstories that they inserted into COD3? The ones you HAD to watch because you couldn't interrupt them?

Who the hell wants to watch a WW II soap opera, and a BAD one at that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 08:22:28 AM »
Man, now I'm glad they didn't release that mess for the PC. Grumble, mumble, console gamers.

~GnSx

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 08:26:07 AM »
COD3? Blech. After playing sandbox-type games, linear games don't do anything for me. GRAW? Blech. Same reason.

Crackdown looks interesting, I may have to give that one a go. I liked Saint's Row and the GTA series, so Crackdown may appeal to me.

The two I am biding my time waiting for are "BioShock" and "Mass Effect".
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 09:23:40 AM »
Crackdown looks cool.  I liked Saint's Row, though having to retake neighberhoods got old after the first few times.  GTA has a lousy combat system, IMO.

I am still playing Gears of War and Lost Planet...trying to complete them on the hardest setting, though with GOW, I don't think I will be able to.

COD 2 was way better than COD 3.  Different company, IIRC.  I am looking forward to Assassin's Creed and Halo 3.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 09:47:13 AM »
I'm getting ready to trade COD3 and Gears of War in for credit towards Crackdown.

I just couldn't get into GoW at all.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 09:49:55 AM »
I didn't even bother with GoW. Looked like just another linear 1st person shooter to me.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 10:27:06 AM »
GoW is a linear third person shooter, but it's the best shooter to hit a console since Goldeneye, easily--calling it just another shooter is like calling the Departed just another cop movie.  That said, it is short, and it won't be everyone's cup of tea, especially those of you who come from the R6/COD camps.  But if you were raised on Doom and Quake like me, it's absolute heaven.

SteveS: grab a friend to beat Insane on GoW if you're having trouble.  Most of it can be done solo, but honestly the boss fight is near impossible without a torque bow and a second player.

I'll have to grab the demo for Crackdown, thanks for the tip Mike.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
I just rented Crackdown.  I'll get into it after I eat my dinner and see if Mike's right or not.  Considering he doesn't like root beer, I'm not gonna get my jopes up too high. grin
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 02:20:27 PM »
I just played over 2 hours straight of Crackdown and I don't think I scratched the surface...

Except the surfaces of my eyes...

Holy crap, this game is awsome!

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 04:20:42 PM »

SteveS: grab a friend to beat Insane on GoW if you're having trouble.  Most of it can be done solo, but honestly the boss fight is near impossible without a torque bow and a second player.

I'll have to grab the demo for Crackdown, thanks for the tip Mike.

I have heard that.  I think it is still pretty hard on hardcore.  The AI for the rest of your squad can be pretty stupid. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 05:03:52 PM »
Vice City Stories for PSP. Major thumbs-up.

It's a prequel to Vice City, takes place two years previous in 1984, the WHOLE city is in there plus the San Andreas enhancements to the engine, (you can swim now!)...and you play Lance's older brother. Sadly, though, the dialogue is so good and so Tarantino-esque that it makes the recent Miami Vice movie look terrible, as if this is what it ought to have been instead. Some of the best characters are back, like Diaz the angry insane druglord who, anytime he gets near a firearm, manages to point the muzzle at every single ally in the room.

The story is awesome, and the soundtrack is better than the original. Much better. At least a hundred songs, and they finally added the essential music for any Miami Vice-like immersion. It finally includes Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight", plus other seriously fun 80's stuff like "The Freaks Come Out At Night" and "Together in Electric Dreams". Lots of hair metal, too.

Oh, yeah, and Phil Collins even appears in the game as a voiced cameo...as himself. Cheesy

There are trailers on the website that show how good the dialogue is. And yeah, this is on a handheld, sure doesn't feel like it. http://www.rockstargames.com/vicecitystories/

The "ME TV" news on the website is pretty hilarious, too. Smiley