Author Topic: Need help -- Excel  (Read 558 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Need help -- Excel
« on: March 20, 2020, 10:09:35 PM »
I'm trying to graph two sets of numbers, and it ain't working. I hope someone can steer me in the right direction.

Column A is dates. Columns B and C are numbers associated with those dates. If I highlight (select) only column A and column B and then click on Insert --> Chart --> Column ... I get exactly what I expect to see: a line of vertical columns marching across my graph.

However, if I initially select columns A, B, and C and then do the same thing, the resulting graph is just a total mess.

What I want is to display the numbers for two columns for each date in the graph. How do I get there?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Need help -- Excel
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 11:06:44 PM »
You could try graphing A&B then adding C as an additional series.  

It seems to me you ought to be able to go into the graph settings and designate X and Y axis columns. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 12:09:48 AM »
How do I add C to a graph of A and B? When I go to the screen to fine tune the axes, I can only enter values for X and Y. There are additional boxes, but they are grayed out and I can't enter anything in them.

I admit, I have trouble with Excel. I was a whiz with Quattro Pro, and QP's graphing even twenty-five years ago was light years ahead of where Excel is today.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 02:23:09 AM »
I got what I *think* you are looking for by highlighting all three columns and then going insert->chart->clustered column.  The clustered column tells excel that you want two series from the data.

See screenshot.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 02:26:23 AM »
"Clustered Column"

Sounds good, I'll try it. Thank you.

No good. Turns out that was what I tried first, and it didn't work any better the second time than it did the first time.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 02:40:29 AM »
I think I got it. I had it set up to use an "IF" operator so if there was no entry in column B, nothing would display in column C. I tried it without that IF operator, and it display correctly.

That creates some other issues, but you got me started in what I hope is the correct direction. Thanks again.