Author Topic: Candle Lanterns  (Read 1007 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Candle Lanterns
« on: March 03, 2007, 02:38:03 PM »
I'm thinking about adding a candle lantern to my camping equipment, mostly as a weight saver and to have around in case of power outage.

So how much light do they put out? I am looking at the UCO original latern.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Candle Lanterns
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 03:02:50 PM »
Candle lanterns are neither light nor bright.  I've got one.  It's buried somewhere near the bottom of my unused camping gear box (I think).  I haven't used the thing in years and years.

Consider a good LED headlamp instead.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 03:12:45 PM »
I use them strictly for lighting the tent (small 2 person model).  They're nearly worthless otherwise. 

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 03:13:12 PM »
Candle lanterns are neither light nor bright.  I've got one.  It's buried somewhere near the bottom of my unused camping gear box (I think).  I haven't used the thing in years and years.

Got that, just want something stationary

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 03:16:34 PM »

Got that, just want something stationary

-C

Then take if off your head and set it on the ground.  grin

(ba-dum bump!)

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hugh Damright

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 07:50:11 AM »
A candle lantern helps take some of the chill and dampness out of a small tent, otherwise I think an led is better. Maybe a pak-lite would be a good choice? http://www.ccrane.com/lights/led-flashlights/pak-lite-super-led-flashlight.aspx

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 08:32:09 AM »
The Uco Candalier is about as bright as a candle lantern gets.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/uco/candlelier/

It will also do a fair job heating a canteen cup of water or soup.

There are also single candle versions available.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 09:15:45 AM »
My primary purpose is that I will use it in August in the Boundary Waters, 7 days/6nights. I already have a snow-peak giga power stove and I have looked at a gas lantern that fits on the gas bottles but I thought maybe the candle lantern would small enough and easy enough to use. Mostly just going to be playing cards with it, or just ambient light for me. Plus the candle lantern looked pretty indestructible when you fold it in on itself.

I have a led headlamp but I like to use it as a head lamp, plus its is directional light so it blinds you if you look into it at night, even on low.

So any other suggestions? I have a old Coleman lantern but its far to heavy and bulky to take with me. I like the non directional light of a lantern, any good led lanterns out there?

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 09:20:59 AM »
Depending on any size/weight issues you may have, Cabelas has some LED lanterns. I've only been thinking about getting one myself though -- no experience with them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 09:44:29 AM »
Turn off the lights in your house, light a candle, play cards.  Even with a reflector, that's about as much light as you're gonna get.

I like them more for the ambiance and they do put out enough light to tell your sock from a snake.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Hugh Damright

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 12:13:26 PM »
You might check out the led and lantern forums at http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 09:51:21 AM »
Candle lanterns serve more purpose than just feeble light.

I have one of the collapsible aluminum versions in my truck's survival kit, along with several spare candles.  I learned in USAF Arctic Survival School that the heat from just one candle is enough to keep one very comfortable in a snow cave or similar small space.  Looking at all the cars that were left along the Interstate during last weekends blizzards, it's not a bad idea.  The highway patrol stopped responding to assistance calls unless there were injuries, and even the snowplows parked alongside the highways when they couldn't maintain traction or visibility. 

They look like this, although mine predates the current versions with nice decals:

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 12:46:06 PM »
Actually I like the idea of having on in my vehicle just in case I have to keep warm some winter evening. I wonder how the candles hold up to the heat of the summer because I am one to forget to take it out after April

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 01:42:49 PM »
They're fine.  The candles I have for mine have survived 100+ degree temps in Sacramento and the humid heat of Cocoa Beach no problem. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"