Author Topic: youtube commercials  (Read 2232 times)

Cliffh

• friend
Re: youtube commercials
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2020, 07:26:21 PM »
I figure I'm not paying YouTube for their service, they need to make money somehow, same with over the air TV. Ads pay the bills.

I wonder what the real cost (to the consumer) of cable TV or streaming services would be without advertising.

Wasn't cable first advertised as commercial free?  Basically: "Since you're paying for our content, we won't need to run commercials"

Now we're not only paying for the basic service with commercials, we're paying extra for "premium" channels and get to watch commercials.  

ETA:

And that's what you get for not reading the entire thread before posting.

I'd be curious as well. As an old guy, I remember when there was no such thing as commercials on cable, which was one of the selling points for paying for a service. If you wanted free TV, you used an antenna and lived with commercials. If you were paying for TV, that was in lieu of commercials. Now it's like $150 for an average cable or sat account, and it's nothing but commercials.

As for youtube commercials. I occasionally get the "skip in 15 seconds" commercials on my phone, but I get zero commercials on my main computer. I don't know if it's adblock or what.