Author Topic: youtube commercials  (Read 2229 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
youtube commercials
« on: April 12, 2020, 04:39:11 PM »
A new thing I've notice just recently; *long* commercials (some over 5 minutes) at the beginning of yt videos that you can't skip or even speed up.   :mad:  And you can't tell when you start how many commercials there will even be.  The first one might be 1 minute (tolerable, just barely) and the next is 5:20; who knows if there's a third.  I often give up without even watching the video I wanted.

Is youtube controlling this, or is it the original content uploader?  The videos uploaded by my pastor don't have any ads at all, so I think the uploader has something to do with it.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: youtube commercials
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 04:50:06 PM »
I downloaded the video I'd given up on halfway thru the 2nd commercial, just to see what I'd get.  I got the actual video I wanted to see, not one of the commercials.
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 04:54:51 PM »
Third-party ads are supposed to appear only on monetized content. Content uploaders choose whether or not to monetize their video.  I think they have the ability to select if the ads are skippable. IIRC, non-skippable ads generate more revenue for the content provider, but at the expense of potentially alienating their viewers.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 05:19:51 PM »
I believe channel owners can decide what kind of formats ads can take in their videos. How many, maximum length, skipability, beginning, middle, end, etc.

If you are seeing very long ads it is ultimately the choice of the creator you are watching.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 06:01:21 PM »
I love it when I click on a 4-minute video, and am treated to an ad that is literally a feature-length film.

That being said, I try not to complain too much about ads that pay for free (to me) content.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 01:49:22 AM »
It gives money to the Evil Empire (but what doesn't?), but if you watch very much YouTube at all the premium subscription kills all those ads.  It also gives you some extra videos and allows you to save offline to mobile devices and the like. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 12:07:37 PM »
I figure I'm not paying YouTube for their service, they need to make money somehow, same with over the air TV. Ads pay the bills.

I wonder what the real cost (to the consumer) of cable TV or streaming services would be without advertising.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 12:13:03 PM »
I figure I'm not paying YouTube for their service, they need to make money somehow, same with over the air TV. Ads pay the bills.

I wonder what the real cost (to the consumer) of cable TV or streaming services would be without advertising.

I don't have a problem with a reasonable amount of commercials.  6 minutes of ads for a 3 minute video is too much.  The worst was a SNL video; I think the link was from Google news.  I thought it was a 3 minute video, but it was a 3 minute commercial, followed by a 15 second clip.  "Fool me once, shame on you..."
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 12:19:16 PM »
I think the longest unskippable commercial I've ever run across is 30 seconds. Where are you finding these minutes-long unskippables? Could be be something in your adware blocker that's keeping the YouTube player from popping up the Skip radio button?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 12:37:59 PM »
I think the longest unskippable commercial I've ever run across is 30 seconds. Where are you finding these minutes-long unskippables? Could be be something in your adware blocker that's keeping the YouTube player from popping up the Skip radio button?

Brad

I don't know.  I'll post the next one I run across.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 12:44:44 PM »

I'd be curious as well. As an old guy, I remember when there was no such thing as commercials on cable, which was one of the selling points for paying for a service. If you wanted free TV, you used an antenna and lived with commercials. If you were paying for TV, that was in lieu of commercials. Now it's like $150 for an average cable or sat account, and it's nothing but commercials.

As for youtube commercials. I occasionally get the "skip in 15 seconds" commercials on my phone, but I get zero commercials on my main computer. I don't know if it's adblock or what.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 12:50:41 PM »
I'd be curious as well. As an old guy, I remember when there was no such thing as commercials on cable, which was one of the selling points for paying for a service. If you wanted free TV, you used an antenna and lived with commercials. If you were paying for TV, that was in lieu of commercials. Now it's like $150 for an average cable or sat account, and it's nothing but commercials.

As for youtube commercials. I occasionally get the "skip in 15 seconds" commercials on my phone, but I get zero commercials on my main computer. I don't know if it's adblock or what.

My memory of cable goes back to 1981 when my parents had it for a couple years. I remember commercials on about every channel except for the premium channels like HBO. My parents for rid of cable when it went from $18 to $20 a month, said it was too expensive.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 12:55:29 PM »
Here's one with three minutes of non-skip commericals:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4Q-1ai-xs  The first (and longer) one was for masterclass.com, and the second was for a stock picker.  I've been seeing a lot of masterclass commercials; perhaps they are following me.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2020, 12:57:16 PM »
Here's one with three minutes of non-skip commericals:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4Q-1ai-xs  The first (and longer) one was for masterclass.com, and the second was for a stock picker.  I've been seeing a lot of masterclass commercials; perhaps they are following me.

No commercials for me, went right to a short haired woman with an Italian accent.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2020, 12:57:46 PM »
My memory of cable goes back to 1981 when my parents had it for a couple years. I remember commercials on about every channel except for the premium channels like HBO. My parents for rid of cable when it went from $18 to $20 a month, said it was too expensive.

Turner, AMC, MTV, and a host of others were commercial free when they started. Some did commercials in between shows or movies, but not commercials every 12 minutes like broadcast TV.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 12:59:42 PM »

No commercials for me either. I just now tried it on both my computer and phone.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 01:01:17 PM »
No commercials for me, went right to a short haired woman with an Italian accent.

Thanks.  I'll try clearing my cookies, turning off ad blocker, using a different browser, etc to see what makes the difference.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 01:06:44 PM »
Turner, AMC, MTV, and a host of others were commercial free when they started. Some did commercials in between shows or movies, but not commercials every 12 minutes like broadcast TV.

I do remember in the 1990s AMC didn't have commercials. MTV had commercials from day one, FYI.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/28399/mtvs-first-hour-air-i-mean-cable

The first MTV commercial starts just over 10 minutes into the hour. It's for "The Bulk," a 3-ring binder. The second ad is for Superman II, "the most exciting movie event of our time." The third ad is for Dolby noise reduction. Then you'll be treated to a vintage Rod Stewart video in which he wears some very unfortunate trousers. The much-better "You Better You Bet" then puts us all in a better mood.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 01:16:23 PM »
Then I guess MTV did, but I sure don't remember them, so there must not have been many. 1981 article from the NYT on the subject:

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/26/arts/will-cable-tv-be-invaded-by-commercials.html

Plus I still insist that if I have to pay for TV, I shouldn't be bombarded by ads, at least to the point we are now.  Ads between shows, like they do on all kraut TV, are okay I guess, but when I was still watching Walking Dead, I was getting pretty perturbed by commercials literally every 5 minutes on a channel I was paying for.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 01:26:56 PM »
I remember when I was a TV engineer in '79 and '80, commercial breaks were pretty much two minutes long, with four 30 second ads.  Sometimes they stretched between 2:15 and 2:30 if there was a station ID or a PSA that had to be aired.  I miss those days.
It's fast approaching a point where program time and ad time in a given hour will be the same.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 01:27:31 PM »
So there are these new services that allow you to watch TV in your home without commercials.  You do have to pay for them, but they tend to be much cheaper than cable each, and you can have three or four "channels" for less then you would pay for cable, there by saving money.

No commercials at all.  At most there will be previews for other shows.  As an added bonus there are no schedules.  You can just turn on the TV and watch whatever you want, whenever you want.  Even pause and rewind.

You guys with cable should check them out.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2020, 02:12:27 PM »
So there are these new services that allow you to watch TV in your home without commercials.  You do have to pay for them, but they tend to be much cheaper than cable each, and you can have three or four "channels" for less then you would pay for cable, there by saving money.

No commercials at all.  At most there will be previews for other shows.  As an added bonus there are no schedules.  You can just turn on the TV and watch whatever you want, whenever you want.  Even pause and rewind.

You guys with cable should check them out.

Well, I don't have cable.  I do have 50 ducat/mo Youtube TV, which is rife with commercials that you can't even fast forward through like cable and sat TV. Of course with most shows, if I add them to my library, I can then watch (all episodes post-adding them, not pre-added) them commercial free. But I have to know that I want to watch them ahead of time to get them commercial free. If I randomly channel surf, and stumble on a program, for many channels, I have to sit through all the commercials (1.5-2.5 min per cut, and there are often up to 8 of them) if I want to watch the program. That's almost worse than cable.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2020, 02:13:37 PM »
Then I guess MTV did, but I sure don't remember them, so there must not have been many. 1981 article from the NYT on the subject:

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/26/arts/will-cable-tv-be-invaded-by-commercials.html

Plus I still insist that if I have to pay for TV, I shouldn't be bombarded by ads, at least to the point we are now.  Ads between shows, like they do on all kraut TV, are okay I guess, but when I was still watching Walking Dead, I was getting pretty perturbed by commercials literally every 5 minutes on a channel I was paying for.

I concur, if you pay for it, no ads.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2020, 03:25:07 PM »
I remember when I was a TV engineer in '79 and '80, commercial breaks were pretty much two minutes long, with four 30 second ads.  Sometimes they stretched between 2:15 and 2:30 if there was a station ID or a PSA that had to be aired.  I miss those days.
It's fast approaching a point where program time and ad time in a given hour will be the same.
I got an antenna recently since I got rid of my satellite box.  I wanted access to news and stuff if needed.  I have found I cannot watch normal programs.  The commercial breaks are so long you forget you were even watching a program. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2020, 03:27:46 PM »
On youtube, I haven't seen the long commercials.  I have trouble with the neverending ads.  Sometimes I have a youtube video playing and my hands are full so I can't hit SKIP.  Some of these commercials will keep playing and keep extending for 5 or 10 minutes until you finally get to it to hit SKIP.  I can deal with 5 or 15 second commercials, but when they play multiple ads if you forget to hit SKIP, I think youtube is just padding their advertising statistics. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge