Author Topic: The Zimmerman Saga Isn't Over  (Read 2759 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
The Zimmerman Saga Isn't Over
« on: April 14, 2020, 09:38:50 AM »
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2020/04/zimmerman_prosecutors_deny_the_undeniable_as_lawsuit_proceeds.html

Apparently the prosecutors didn't have anything to do with... <checks notes> interviewing the witnesses, writing the arrest affidavit, or vetting the witnesses.

That seems like it should be a scandal, all by itself.

Oh, and it's looking more and more as though the prosecutors know very well that the witness they put on the stand was not a "witness" and seriously perjured herself.

This travesty of justice is getting worse over time.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
Re: The Zimmerman Saga Isn't Over
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 10:05:25 AM »
It sure seems amazingly easy for dishonest people to screw up the justice system and very difficult to hold them to account. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 10:13:55 AM »
I don't understand why prosecutors and attorneys are not held to the same higher standards as police officers.  All of them are given a lot of power to destroy people's lives and it should be criminal to do that to an innocent person.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 10:17:42 AM »
Clarification: Innocent was probably the wrong term.  He did kill Martin, but that doesn't mean the state should sanction fabricating evidence in an attempt to crush his self defense claim.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 10:24:17 AM »
When I'm king of the world prosecutorial misconduct along with pressing false charges, perjury, withholding exculpatory evidence or any other attempt to wrongfully convict a person would result in all parties engaged in the misconduct getting the maximum sentence they would have inflicted on their victims, up to and including the death penalty.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 10:42:49 AM »
I was just thinking that these investigations should be 100% above board and documented.  The prosecutors should be held to a higher standard if they are going to enjoy legal protection. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 10:53:39 AM »
I forgot where I recently read it, but some legal commentator for someplace like MSNBC or CNN, who was a long time federal prosecutor, said some outrageously unconstitutional thing in his legal opinion (can't remember what that was either), but what most resonated with me was one of the comments regarding his statement about, "Maybe it's a good idea to go back and review all his old cases."

When you see how outrageously anti-freedom some of these guys are after the fact, it really makes you wonder how many innocent people that couldn't outspend the federal/state/local government in legal fees are sitting behind bars or otherwise have ruined lives. I'm on an "under the radar" kick right now, and it really seems that's the only place to be safe.

"I got pinched too!"

"Which is what happens when you call the Feds."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 11:34:46 AM »
It is enough to make me very suspicious of prosecutors and maybe I shouldn't try to avoid jury duty in the future.  It also bothers me that in many cases, people accept plea deals to make things go away. 

Not sure how to fix all that.  Can rules be changes to take legal burdens off the accused?  I know there is a lot more to the defense than just hiring the lawyer.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 11:54:35 AM »
Oops
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

JN01

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 02:45:32 PM »
Zimmerman reminds me of Richard Jewel, a kind of goofy guy that the cool kids decided to utterly destroy because they did sloppy investigative work, wanted to appease the public, and because they could.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 03:55:59 PM »
Clarification: Innocent was probably the wrong term.  He did kill Martin, but that doesn't mean the state should sanction fabricating evidence in an attempt to crush his self defense claim.

"Innocent" is the correct term. He was charged with murder. Homicide (the taking of a human life) in self-defense is not murder. It's not even a crime.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 03:57:22 PM »
When I'm king of the world prosecutorial misconduct along with pressing false charges, perjury, withholding exculpatory evidence or any other attempt to wrongfully convict a person would result in all parties engaged in the misconduct getting the maximum sentence they would have inflicted on their victims, up to and including the death penalty.

I hereby cast my vote for Road King Larry as king of the world.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 04:10:09 PM »

Ironic, considering the source.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 04:35:02 PM »

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

(I've long felt the same way)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 04:39:01 PM »
I think at this point most people, regardless of what they think of George, wish The Zimmerman Saga was over.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2020, 05:47:31 PM »
From OP's cited article, "a powerful but little known tool called 'Requests for Admissions.' Under Florida Law, a plaintiff can submit a list of up to 30 questions, each beginning, 'Admit that you....' Under penalty of perjury, the defendant must either admit or deny each statement. If the defendant doesn’t bother to answer any of the questions, the court assumes that they are admitted as true. "

Sounds like that's a start on laying some blame on the prosecutorial side.  I wonder how general that concept is across the States.

But I'm sure that with this "little-known tool" now highlighted to the legal community, the vast powers of the State will soon crush this opportunity for defendants in the same way the legal Powers That Be have crushed the concept of jury nullification.

Terry, 230RN

REF (Jury nullification is the source of much debate):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 06:02:30 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2020, 08:06:01 PM »
From OP's cited article, "a powerful but little known tool called 'Requests for Admissions.' Under Florida Law, a plaintiff can submit a list of up to 30 questions, each beginning, 'Admit that you....' Under penalty of perjury, the defendant must either admit or deny each statement. If the defendant doesn’t bother to answer any of the questions, the court assumes that they are admitted as true. "

Sounds like that's a start on laying some blame on the prosecutorial side.  I wonder how general that concept is across the States.

But I'm sure that with this "little-known tool" now highlighted to the legal community, the vast powers of the State will soon crush this opportunity for defendants in the same way the legal Powers That Be have crushed the concept of jury nullification.

Terry, 230RN

REF (Jury nullification is the source of much debate):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

I still support jury nullification. I'll never admit it court or to fellow jurors, but I'll pass judgement with the nullification as my first button. If the charge doesn't fit the Constitution, it's null and void. (I wonder why I've never been called ti sit on a jury ...)

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2020, 08:20:12 PM »
Well, don't forget to take the "left to the States, or the people" clause into account.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:42:06 PM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2020, 08:33:12 PM »
I still support jury nullification. I'll never admit it court or to fellow jurors, but I'll pass judgement with the nullification as my first button. If the charge doesn't fit the Constitution, it's null and void. (I wonder why I've never been called ti sit on a jury ...)

Woody

I haven't been called for jury duty in more than fifteen years, and I'm sure it's because of jury nullification. It's a long story, but it ended up with a judge telling me that the Supreme Court didn't say what the record shows the Supreme Court did say. The judge told me I was wrong, dismissed me from the jury pool, and told me to go home and do my homework. I did -- and I then wrote her a letter citing the case and the exact words. I never received a reply, and I haven't been called for jury duty since.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2020, 08:44:19 PM »
^ "...I did -- and I then wrote her a letter citing the case and the exact words. I never received a reply..."

That's because your letter was deemed a living document and didn't really mean what it said.

>:D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2020, 08:44:32 PM »
I think at this point most people, regardless of what they think of George, wish The Zimmerman Saga was over.
I wish it was over years ago and the prosecutors never tried to pursue murder charges.  Given all the crap they did do, I hope they get what they deserve.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2020, 09:06:12 PM »
I was an assistant prosecuting attorney for almost 12 years.  I was fortunate to work for an elected prosecutor who couldn't care less about politics.  His rules were simple...do the right thing.  Period.  And, in his eyes, his staff attorneys were wrong until they proved to him they were right.  Prove you were right, and he would unleash hell on whoever was coming after you.  Fail, and he would literally throw your belongings out as you were fired.  It was a great place to start my career, and grow as an attorney.

With that said, I would agree that any prosecutor proven to deliberately bring false charges or falsify/hide evidence should be criminally liable.  But you need to set the bar high for accusers as well.  Having been sued a few times by criminal defendants for prosecuting their cases (and in one case, by a victim for not filing a bullshit charge), you need to afford some protections to prosecutors from this kind of harassment, or no one will do the job.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2020, 09:13:07 PM »

It will never be over because

1) The left/MSM won't stop using the incident to beat over our heads as an example of how racist we are.
2) Something shady in the prosecution was obviously going on.
3) Zimmerman won't stop doing stupid *expletive deleted*it
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2020, 09:44:19 PM »
It will never be over because

1) The left/MSM won't stop using the incident to beat over our heads as an example of how racist we are.
2) Something shady in the prosecution was obviously going on.
3) Zimmerman won't stop doing stupid *expletive deleted*it

Winner winner.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2020, 09:51:21 PM »
Well, don't forget to take the "left to the States, or the people" clause into account.

Will do!

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood