Author Topic: Can't please the Democrats  (Read 4161 times)

grampster

• friend
Can't please the Democrats
« on: April 14, 2020, 11:51:01 AM »
They criticize Trump because he didn't do enough soon enough and shut the country down to halt the C-19.

Now they criticize Trump because he wants to tell them to begin to think about opening the country up.

He can't win for losing.  I agree that the president is somewhat limited to tell the states what to do.  But when one state does something that could be harmful to other states, I think he has some authority to call the shots.  Isn't that what Federalism is all about...making it so one state can't take advantage of another?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Can't please the Democrats
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 12:41:31 PM »
They criticize Trump because he didn't do enough soon enough and shut the country down to halt the C-19.

You missed the part before that where they were still criticizing Trump in March for shutting down travel from China in January.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/03/20/nolte-mere-8-days-ago-joe-biden-still-attacking-trumps-travel-bans/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 01:58:16 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 02:31:14 PM »
Just give them Czechoslovak, that should appease them 
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 07:23:17 PM »
Just give them Czechoslovak, that should appease them  

Tragifunny, but :rofl: anyway.

Chamberlain touting the "Peace in our time" agreement signed by Hitler.  And don't give me any bullshit about Godwining the thread.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 07:49:54 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 08:45:09 AM »
Democrats reflexively condemn Trump for everything he says or doesn't say, as well as everything he does or doesn't do.

It's in their nature.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 08:54:12 AM »
Democrats reflexively condemn Trump for everything he says or doesn't say, as well as everything he does or doesn't do.

It's in their nature.

The democrats and friendly media have done that to every Republican President in my memory since Reagan (I don't go back any further).  Some of the biggest mistakes Republicans have made in that time have been trying to make deals with Democrats or trying to appease the media. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 12:32:24 PM »
The democrats and friendly media have done that to every Republican President in my memory since Reagan (I don't go back any further).  Some of the biggest mistakes Republicans have made in that time have been trying to make deals with Democrats or trying to appease the media. 

This. It's the one thing I liked about Trump during the primary. There were a number of people running on the Republican ticket that I liked more. He has grown on me on some other issues, but still the thing I like about him the most is that he fights back against the media. I didn't like any of the last Republican presidents or nominees since Reagan, and there were things I didn't like about him. Reagan did occasionally fight back, he did it less directly. None since him have. Republican voters want that, they know the mainstream media has forced Republicans to make bad decisions, lied about them and directly supported Democrats for a long time.

There was even a flash of this during the McCain campaign, for all her faults Palin did fight back against the media and was excoriated for it. McCain was not well supported by the non-beltway type Republican's. He got a lot of populist boost from Palin, but then didn't back her and let the media do what they do. Of course McCain was a product of and collaborator with the media so he was never going to actually stand on any principles, reason I detested that man even before his nomination, but that was an early indicator that someone like Trump could energize that base that was fed up with squishy Republicans. McCain and Romney being exhibit A & B, but both Bush's and a lot of others from local to national just like them.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Can't please the Democrats
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 01:07:00 PM »
This. It's the one thing I liked about Trump during the primary. There were a number of people running on the Republican ticket that I liked more. He has grown on me on some other issues, but still the thing I like about him the most is that he fights back against the media. I didn't like any of the last Republican presidents or nominees since Reagan, and there were things I didn't like about him. Reagan did occasionally fight back, he did it less directly. None since him have. Republican voters want that, they know the mainstream media has forced Republicans to make bad decisions, lied about them and directly supported Democrats for a long time.

There was even a flash of this during the McCain campaign, for all her faults Palin did fight back against the media and was excoriated for it. McCain was not well supported by the non-beltway type Republican's. He got a lot of populist boost from Palin, but then didn't back her and let the media do what they do. Of course McCain was a product of and collaborator with the media so he was never going to actually stand on any principles, reason I detested that man even before his nomination, but that was an early indicator that someone like Trump could energize that base that was fed up with squishy Republicans. McCain and Romney being exhibit A & B, but both Bush's and a lot of others from local to national just like them.
The same can be said also for Romney. His best chance was after the one debate where he ripped into things. And then tossed the boost away by going back to nice politics. Moot point as we've now seen.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 01:17:02 PM »

Controlled opposition isn't there to win.  Republicrats are one group playing both sides of this kabuki theater for their own gain and the gain of their masters which is none of you.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 01:26:31 PM »
Controlled opposition isn't there to win.  Republicrats are one group playing both sides of this kabuki theater for their own gain and the gain of their masters which is none of you.

/stage whisper on

Oh, good, my human persona is working.

/stage whisper off
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 01:32:23 PM »
Tragifunny, but :rofl: anyway.

Chamberlain touting the "Peace in our time" agreement signed by Hitler.  And don't give me any bullshit about Godwining the thread.

Sorry for the thread drift

I've done a reassessment of Chamberlain and it turns out he was no fool especially when you learn that the first thing he did after waving that piece of TP around was ordering a massive rearmament of Britain. He knew Germany had a head start in rearming and he knew that both Britain and France needed time to catch up, he was buying time. Hilter kicked off the war when he did largely because he realized this. History though has roasted Chamberlain for it.
My above comment was based on the common historical option.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 02:22:36 PM »
Sorry for the thread drift

I've done a reassessment of Chamberlain and it turns out he was no fool especially when you learn that the first thing he did after waving that piece of TP around was ordering a massive rearmament of Britain. He knew Germany had a head start in rearming and he knew that both Britain and France needed time to catch up, he was buying time. Hilter kicked off the war when he did largely because he realized this. History though has roasted Chamberlain for it.
My above comment was based on the common historical option.
Struggling to resist commenting......
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Re: Can't please the Democrats
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 02:30:02 PM »
The same can be said also for Romney. His best chance was after the one debate where he ripped into things. And then tossed the boost away by going back to nice politics. Moot point as we've now seen.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That popped in my head as well.  Romney started closing the gap on Obama after that first debate.  I assume some advisor(s) convinced him he would look bad if he kept attacking Obama. 
And it was sad to see the McCain campaign essentially conspire with the media to knock down Palin.  She wasn't best candidate out there, but she was better than McCain. 

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 02:46:36 PM »
The only reason that Swmbo and I actually voted in the presidential election when McCain was the candidate was because of Palin. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 03:45:57 PM »
Struggling to resist commenting......

A subject for another thread another day.
BTW: Worded something wrong. "I've done a reassessment" should be  "I've somewhat done a reassessment"
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 06:15:11 PM »
A subject for another thread another day.
BTW: Worded something wrong. "I've done a reassessment" should be  "I've somewhat done a reassessment"
I like some of those historical subjects.  Wasn't any disagreement.  I saw a video not long ago about the French army organization pre-WWII with a number of anecdotes about how they responded to the invasion.  It was pretty interesting.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI29hh5qBug
I think it was this one.

https://youtu.be/1E9Da2ge-aM
This was another.

Maybe I should have put this on the thread drift thread.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:00:50 PM by MechAg94 »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 08:10:11 PM »
Maybe I should have put this on the thread drift thread.

That would have kept it on topic. Can't have that. It's better here.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2020, 04:58:16 PM »
^ :rofl:

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 12:42:43 PM »
You mean the traditional GOP strategy of preemptive surrender doesn't work very well?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 12:47:28 PM »
You mean the traditional GOP strategy of preemptive surrender doesn't work very well?

What's even more infuriating is when they do something that is comparable to the US surrendering to Japan after dropping the bombs.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 05:16:54 PM »
Victor Davis Hanson

https://amgreatness.com/2020/04/05/corona-meltdowns/#top

From the article:

For now, the media, Pelosi, and Biden, along with the Left in general, wish to perpetuate a sense of viral Armageddon to make it politically impossible for Trump to initiate a graduated plan of returning America to work. Their hope is for a summer and fall of continued lockdown, a near depression rather than a mere recession, and enough public furor to end Trump in November—while hoping that a sudden post-election end to the lockdown will allow the natural recovery of Trump’s booming economy on their watch in 2021.

Missing in all these calculations is empathy for those who are ill and the losses that such macabre expectations certainly entail. Also absent is a sense of the irony that, by unfairly scapegoating Trump in hours of darkness, they are ensuring that in the upcoming dawn, he will be credited by their same logic with owning what will likely be an impressive U.S. response to suppressing the virus and reviving the economy.

That pretty well sums it up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2020, 11:20:22 PM »
What's even more infuriating is when they do something that is comparable to the US surrendering to Japan after dropping the bombs.

Just doing what the people who bought them want done.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 05:41:19 AM »
HankB

preemptive surrender

too true