Author Topic: Dog dies saving owner in black bear attack  (Read 934 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dog dies saving owner in black bear attack
« on: March 04, 2007, 11:39:10 PM »
http://www.madison.com/tct/news/index.php?ntid=120672&ntpid=4

Dog dies saving owner in black bear attack

CATARACT, Wis. (AP) - Jason Schindler says he wouldn't be alive if it were not for his dog, Dude.

The 27-year-old rural Cataract man said the 8-year-old mixed-breed hound jumped between him and an attacking black bear Thursday night, saving his life but giving up his own.

The animal sustained at least 28 puncture wounds to his chest and neck, he said.

"I'd hate for someone else's dog to go through what mine did," he said.

Schindler and his wife, Kimberly, buried the dog with a blanket and pillow the next day, using a rented jackhammer to dig the grave in the frozen soil.

He said he heard the dog yelping loudly Thursday after dark and went out to see what was happening.

Suddenly, "all I saw was this dark thing lunging at me," Schindler said.

But his dog jumped between the two and was quickly snatched up in the bear's jaw, he said.

"If not for the dog, I wouldn't be standing here," Schindler said.

The bear, estimated at between 400 and 500 pounds, dragged the dog to his nearby den under a thicket of downed trees.

Schindler said he returned to his house, grabbed a rifle, returned to the scene and fired, possibly hitting his target before the bear fled into the woods. He rescued his dog, gushing blood but breathing, and rushed him to the Sparta Veterinary Clinic.

He said Dude was the last of a litter of puppies available at the Monroe County Animal Shelter when Schindler adopted him.

Another week in the shelter and he would have been euthanized, Schindler said.

"I saw him lying there alone in his cage and I felt so bad for him," he said. "In a way he was a miracle dog."
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Dog dies saving owner in black bear attack
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 01:17:47 AM »
that dog  went to heaven, I don't care if you disagree angel
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 03:24:10 AM »
No disagreement here. That Dude was a hero.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 06:13:26 AM »
Can't have really happened ... cause I heard that black bears don't attack people  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 06:23:50 AM »
Like to know what caliber he tried to use against the bear.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 11:13:10 PM »
That dog would be alive today if he (the dog) could have had a concealed handgun.

His blood is on Doyle's hands.

Seriously, that's a good dog, a very good dog.  Eternal belly rubs and soup bones for him.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."