Author Topic: Rip CD's  (Read 1107 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Rip CD's
« on: April 21, 2020, 09:13:54 PM »
I'm looking for recommendations on a program to burn music Cd's to decent quality mp3.  I still have a bunch of CD's and need to finally rip them all to mp3.  Windows media player has never been very stable on my current computer so I hate to use that.  

At one time I had a program called Cdex back when I used a standalone itunes player.  It appears Cdex is still around.  https://cdex.mu/     Just looking for decent quality plus looking up the CD information automatically.    

https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-burning-software-2438473
This site has some recommendations, but it doesn't have to be free, but certainly affordable.  

(I took burn off the title.)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Rip CD's
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 09:28:47 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Andiron

• friend
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 11:59:22 PM »
I've been using FreAC for ripping recently.  It's an audio file converter, but it has an integrated CD ripper.  Seems to work pretty well, batches everything if you want, includes CD and track data.  It rips to multiple formats including mp3. 
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 09:35:26 AM »
I'm curious why Media Player isn't stable on your machine. It's the simplest of simple apps, one of the few I've never had a problem with.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 10:15:11 AM »
I'm curious why Media Player isn't stable on your machine. It's the simplest of simple apps, one of the few I've never had a problem with.

Brad
Don't know.  I never bothered trying to reinstall it.  It will play a file just fine, but if you start moving around in the video or doing more complicated stuff, it just randomly crashes.  WMP has a lot of capabilities if it works.  The computer is an inexpensive Lenovo that I probably need to replace soon anyway.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 11:44:38 AM »
Don't know.  I never bothered trying to reinstall it.  It will play a file just fine, but if you start moving around in the video or doing more complicated stuff, it just randomly crashes.  WMP has a lot of capabilities if it works.  The computer is an inexpensive Lenovo that I probably need to replace soon anyway.

Sounds like a video card incompatibility or driver conflict. Not an uncommon issue, especially on laptops or bargain Big Box machines with system board-based graphics solutions. For the audio-only task of ripping CDs I wouldn't expect you'd experience an issue.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 11:47:28 AM »
In my Linux distro, when I put in a CD it shows all the tracks and I can just right click and save as mp3.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 02:41:44 PM »
In my Linux distro, when I put in a CD it shows all the tracks and I can just right click and save as mp3.

The Rhythmbox media player does a fine job of ripping as well. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.