Author Topic: Comet ATLAS may soon be visible to the naked eye  (Read 1184 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Comet ATLAS may soon be visible to the naked eye
« on: April 22, 2020, 10:37:52 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sySq22nHMUQ
This video popped up on my youtube home page.  The video gets off into some more outlandish stuff, but mentions a comet might be visible in the night sky soon. 

Looks like it might be visible soon or even now.

Comet ATLAS may soon be visible to the naked eye
https://astronomy.com/news/observing/2020/03/comet-atlas-may-soon-be-visible-to-the-naked-eye
The Northern Hemisphere has great seats from now right up until the comet reaches perihelion on May 31, when ATLAS makes its closest approach to the Sun and performs a sharp turn around our star. Observers from 40 to 60 degrees north latitude are close to the stage, with those from 50 to 55 degrees north getting front-row seats. Equatorial and southern locations get one decent week starting May 28, but then Y4 stays low and fades quickly into the distance, like an object viewed out the back window of a fast-moving car.

By mid- to late April, which includes the New Moon on April 22, ATLAS is already large and diffuse for its distance. Note that reported magnitudes are integrated, which essentially crunches all its light into a point, rather than spreading it out between the coma and tails. Magnitude 2 is easy for the unaided eye, but from the city a big halo will be invisible through the light pollution. Streaking halfway between Polaris and brilliant Capella, Y4 might resemble a lopsided Andromeda Galaxy

Comet ATLAS: When, where, and how to see the hyperbolic comet
https://www.inverse.com/science/comet-atlas-may-23-2020

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
Re: Comet ATLAS may soon be visible to the naked eye
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 01:30:20 AM »
Not near close enough.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 11:04:59 AM »
Here comet comet comet....
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 11:20:42 AM »
Well, if it doesn't hit, maybe it will at least release a space virus when it passes, which will then mergwe with and mutate the beer virus  and we'll finally get zombies. I've got all this ammo sitting around...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 11:58:50 AM »
Well, if it doesn't hit, maybe it will at least release a space virus when it passes, which will then mergwe with and mutate the beer virus  and we'll finally get zombies. I've got all this ammo sitting around...

We need less democrats not more.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 12:05:24 PM »
I heard that when Haley's comet came around in the early 1900's, the earth passed through the comet's tail.  There was apparently all sorts of hysteria and snake oil salesmen in some areas. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 04:57:18 PM »
Uhm... last I heard, Atlas was in the process of breaking up and was dimming to the point where it likely won't be visible at all.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 05:00:40 PM »
Double tap...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 05:01:33 PM »
"As comets travel closer to the Sun, they increase in brightness as the heat from the star causes them to burn."

Uhm... No. Just NO. That's not how a comet freaking works.

And I came across something on the web this morning that said the nucleus of Atlas is larger than 3 Jupiters...

Jesus wept... where do people get their freaking information?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 05:09:55 PM »
"As comets travel closer to the Sun, they increase in brightness as the heat from the star causes them to burn."

And I came across something on the web this morning that said the nucleus of Atlas is larger than 3 Jupiters...

The last was in the video I linked to.  They were more careful to say "the atmosphere" of Atlas in the video.  I thought it was stupid myself.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 05:10:52 PM »

CNN
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 11:35:20 AM »
CNN

Comet News Network??     [tinfoil]    [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 03:09:16 PM »

I heard about this comet a couple weeks back, and the report I read said "it" was as big as 5 Jupiters.  No mention of what part of "it" was 5-Jupiter sized... nucleus, atmosphere, tail, etc.  I assumed they meant the tenuous coronal atmosphere around the nucleus, since a 5xJupiter body entering our Solar System would probably throw gravitational balances all out of whack and destroy life as we know it, flinging Earth into a new orbit with different climate (climate change!), if it didn't bombard us with disruptions of the asteroid belt for the next 10,000 years.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!