Author Topic: If it was a .45 it...  (Read 1071 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
If it was a .45 it...
« on: April 23, 2020, 08:26:33 PM »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: If it was a .45 it...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 09:00:14 PM »
If it was a .45-70 it would have blown the shield apart and then taken out 4-5 guys behind it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 10:11:28 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36NMCLbf_7o
Roman Pilum Throwing - Javelin & Shield Roman Army Style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRYFCH5Ae50

Scholagladiatoria has done a couple videos on the Pilum lately.  The iron shaft looks thicker on his.  The one on the first video looks so thin it wouldn't be straight by the time soldiers got it to the battle. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 10:14:30 AM »
I have seen videos testing longbows against armor.  I have never seen a video seeing just how well a typical pistol or rifle bullet would penetrate armor from the middle ages.  Penetrating a wooden shield makes sense, but what about chain mail, plate armor, or just heavy cotton behind it?  Of course, from what I have heard, most soldiers didn't full armor. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 10:35:14 AM »
Force ÷ Area = Pressure

The smaller the area, the greater the pressure:

That's why people use needles to sew with.  The near-zero diameter point makes the pressure enormous.

Even the Romans knew that.

In Roman numbers,

Force  Ã· Area = Pressure
XV ÷ V = III
But with a smaller-area point,
XV ÷  III = V

Obviously the smaller area III gives a higher pressure V, thus allowing the small pointy thing to penetrate better than the large pointy thing with the same force of XV applied in both cases.

:rofl:

Terry runneth and hideth
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:55:18 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 12:28:55 PM »
Force ÷ Area = Pressure

The smaller the area, the greater the pressure:

That's why people use needles to sew with.  The near-zero diameter point makes the pressure enormous.

Even the Romans knew that.

In Roman numbers,

Force  Ã· Area = Pressure
XV ÷ V = III
But with a smaller-area point,
XV ÷  III = V

Obviously the smaller area III gives a higher pressure V, thus allowing the small pointy thing to penetrate better than the large pointy thing with the same force of XV applied in both cases.

:rofl:

Terry runneth and hideth

Beware the ides of March
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 04:56:57 AM »
Anyone else notice that "shield" was made of particle board and not the solid wood that would have been used at the time?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 10:13:11 AM »
Anyone else notice that "shield" was made of particle board and not the solid wood that would have been used at the time?
I have seen videos criticizing that show's testing before.  One that stuck in my head dealt with chain mail.