Author Topic: Printer question  (Read 1057 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Printer question
« on: April 27, 2020, 12:14:48 AM »
Does anyone know what's the maximum thickness paper that can be fed through a laser printer? (Or an inkjet, for that matter.)

I need to get something printed on .046" chip board, which is cardboard, not paper. Are there any laser or inkjet printers that can handle stock that thick?

[Edit: How about .024" stock?]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 12:58:06 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Printer question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 01:40:07 AM »
Printer make and model?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 02:04:49 AM »
I have access to an H-P LaserJet 1536dnf MFP, a Canon color laser MF628Cw, and some sort of Epson wide format inkjet. I don't think any of them will handle it; I'm wondering if any professional printers (such as at Staples or FedEx Office) might be able to handle it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 08:36:27 AM »
I have access to an H-P LaserJet 1536dnf MFP, a Canon color laser MF628Cw, and some sort of Epson wide format inkjet. I don't think any of them will handle it; I'm wondering if any professional printers (such as at Staples or FedEx Office) might be able to handle it.

Check HP's support site for the HP.  Somwehere in the specs they'll show supported media.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 08:45:00 AM »
I just looked, and my Brother laser lists stock by pounds. 43lb is the thickest it says it will take, which I guess is not that thick. I have printed greeting card thickness on it with no problems.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 09:41:58 AM »
HP lists 110 lb card stock as the thickest material the 1536 will handle (roughly 0.0046 thick). I'm going to presume that limitation will apply to most consumer and consumer/commercial machines.

A sign shop should be able to easily handle what you need. They deal with thick, large-format stuff all day. Depending on the shop, they may be able to direct-print or could make you an adhesive-backed decal that you place on your backing of choice.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 10:51:03 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 11:19:30 AM »
Yeah. That's just going to be too thick. You'll need to print it out on paper the printer can handle, then glue it to the thin chipboard.

Or as Brad says, see if a sign shop can do it for you. They'll have things like flat-bed inkjet or dye-sub printers that can work on a flat surface that's laid on the bed of the printer. Like for printing on foam-core posterboards etc.

Avery does sell full 8.5x11" single sheet adhesive labels. So you could print that and just stick it onto the board. 

https://www.avery.com/blank/labels/94268
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 11:26:37 PM »

I was going to suggest print-and-paste as the most practical solution.  I can see others felt the same way.

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.