Author Topic: jumbo eggs  (Read 1996 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
jumbo eggs
« on: May 06, 2020, 04:16:28 PM »
Up until a couple years ago, I bought a dozen jumbo eggs from one of several supermarkets every week.  Since then, I haven't seen any jumbo eggs for sale.  When I ask a grocery store Restocking Professional what happened to the jumbos, they pretend to not know.   =(

Does anybody have an appropriate conspiracy theory I can borrow?

Jim147

• friends
Re: jumbo eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 04:20:55 PM »
They killed the big chickens....
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 04:23:13 PM »
Up until a couple years ago, I bought a dozen jumbo eggs from one of several supermarkets every week.  Since then, I haven't seen any jumbo eggs for sale.  When I ask a grocery store Restocking Professional what happened to the jumbos, they pretend to not know.   =(

Does anybody have an appropriate conspiracy theory I can borrow?

The chicken confinements that have the chickens that lay jumbo eggs have been euthanized all their chickens due to low demand on the industrial side, i.e. egg breakers.

Difference in weight between a dozen large eggs and dozen jumbo eggs is 6 ounces, fyi.

Also I'm just starting to enjoy fried eggs again after visiting a egg production farm last fall and spending a few hours inside one of the laying confinements.  
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 04:24:03 PM »
They killed the big chickens....

Yes ... yes, I can see how that fits the facts!  Now it makes sense.   :cool:

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 04:26:17 PM »
The chicken confinements that have the chickens that lay jumbo eggs have been euthanized all their chickens due to low demand on the industrial side, i.e. egg breakers.

???  I thought Jim was kidding. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 04:28:30 PM »
???  I thought Jim was kidding.  

Nope, pigs and chickens are being euthanized left and right because of no place to process the animal or take the eggs. Pork kill is set up for about a 200-230# 6 month old pig and most eggs go to a breaking plant for industrial/commercial food use.

Eggs are graded at the egg washing plant, there isn't a special breed that lays jumbo eggs for commercial production.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 04:31:44 PM »
there isn't a special breed that lays jumbo eggs for commercial production.

So the jumbo eggs are just a hoax? I knew it all along.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 04:45:29 PM »

Chicken egg that weighs 2.5 ounces or greater is classified a jumbo egg by the USDA.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 04:54:43 PM »

Level 6 Killjoys are a hoax. Jumbo eggs are real.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 04:59:24 PM »
Jumbo egg

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 05:02:36 PM »
Chicken egg that weighs 2.5 ounces or greater is classified a jumbo egg by the USDA.

Fat-shaming!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 05:11:52 PM »
Fat-shaming!

Ovum positivity.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 08:31:28 PM »

Also I'm just starting to enjoy fried eggs again after visiting a egg production farm last fall and spending a few hours inside one of the laying confinements.  

The eggs I buy say "Free Range" on the carton. They aren't cheap.

Am I just kidding myself or does free range actually mean free range in the industry?

They are superior tasting and I'll probably never go back to the cheap eggs.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 08:50:03 PM »
[/i]
Am I just kidding myself or does free range actually mean free range in the industry?

I think that might mean they get to run around the yard and eat bugs, possibly different from chickens who are kept cooped up and fed grain.  I read that the Omega-3 value in eggs from bug-eating chickens is superior to those in eggs from grain-eating chickens.  That's why it cracks me up to see the eggs that proudly proclaim their chickens are "vegetarian fed".  I don't know if that makes them taste better, I'll have to try it.

Others here know a lot more about chickens than I do, though.  All I know is I think jumbo are significantly bigger.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 09:26:50 PM »
[/i]
I think that might mean they get to run around the yard and eat bugs, possibly different from chickens who are kept cooped up and fed grain.  I read that the Omega-3 value in eggs from bug-eating chickens is superior to those in eggs from grain-eating chickens.  That's why it cracks me up to see the eggs that proudly proclaim their chickens are "vegetarian fed".  I don't know if that makes them taste better, I'll have to try it.

Others here know a lot more about chickens than I do, though.  All I know is I think jumbo are significantly bigger.

Chicken confinement chickens are fed a vegetarian diet of chicken mash.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 09:31:33 PM »

Because they aren't 4-5 per cage stacked several rows high over a manure pit from 100,000 chickens that gets cleaned out every 24 months when the whole house is euthanized with gas. Chickens then become dog food or other rendered proteins. Industry term for chicken poop from the pit is chicken litter.

I think free range eggs are still in a house but the chickens run free on the floor of the house (no pit and regularly scooped clean of manure, might even be destined for broiler birds for more turnover in the house, less manure build up), workers pick up the eggs by hand.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 09:53:38 PM »
Several web sites indicate that free range means the chickens have to have access to outside of the coop, at least part of the day.  A fence can still be utilized.

Wikipedia:  "A behavioral definition of free range is perhaps the most useful: "chickens kept with a fence that restricts their movements very little." This has practical implications. For example, according to Jull, "The most effective measure of preventing cannibalism seems to be to give the birds good grass range." De-beaking was invented to prevent cannibalism for birds not on free range, and the need for de-beaking can be seen as a litmus test for whether the chickens' environment is sufficiently "free-range-like."

So, free range means the chickens still have their beaks.   :lol:

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 09:58:36 PM »
 My eggs come from a few miles down the road. The only thing I have to worry about is that the stupid birds aren't out in the highway when I drive past.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2020, 10:31:03 PM »
Free range chickens will usually have a tiny brand from a little bitty chicken sized branding iron and little rope burns or marks from the spring roundup. They use really little short legged ponies for the roping and branding of the real free range chickens.
Don’t fall for the fake branding
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2020, 10:31:54 PM »

Find someone locally selling fresh eggs. The taste difference between them and store bought are worth the 3 bucks or so a dozen. I once read the freshest store bought are probably between 2 and 3 weeks old by the time they hit the sore shelves. Other sources say they hit the shelves in 3 days. Buy from the source and take the guess work out of it.

bob

bob

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2020, 11:26:55 AM »

"Free Range definition: Eggs packed in USDA grademarked consumer packages labeled as free range must be produced by hens housed in a building, room, or area that allows for unlimited access to food, water, and continuous access to the outdoors during their laying cycle."

https://www.google.com/search?q=usda+free+range+eggs+definition&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS746US747&oq=usda+free+range&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l6.8005j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2020, 12:44:15 PM »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2020, 03:26:32 PM »
I stopped buying Jumbo mainly because the shells were fragile.  The free range stuff HEB sells also tend to have harder shells so I assume they are feeding them something different. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2020, 03:48:24 PM »
I stopped buying Jumbo mainly because the shells were fragile.  The free range stuff HEB sells also tend to have harder shells so I assume they are feeding them something different. 

Rations are set pretty tight for chicken confinements, I'm willing to bet they only give enough calcium for medium to large egg sizes.

Uranus is a gas giant.