Author Topic: The real Lord of the Flies: what happened when six boys were shipwrecked  (Read 1116 times)

Pb

• friend

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Read that a couple weeks ago.  Cool story.
Formerly sumpnz

JN01

• friend

But in the last 20 years, something extraordinary has happened. Scientists from all over the world have switched to a more hopeful view of mankind.

They are bound to be disappointed.

MechAg94

• friend

They are bound to be disappointed.
I think people are at their worst when they have all their needs met and have too much leisure time.  When faced with a real external threat, they tend band together more. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
I think people are at their worst when they have all their needs met and have too much leisure time.  When faced with a real external threat, they tend band together more. 

Fairly true.  So many degenerate into inflicting their opinions on others when faced with an excess of free time.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Fairly true.  So many degenerate into inflicting their opinions on others when faced with an excess of free time.

Hmm . . . a message for the APS regulars?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

RoadKingLarry

• friends
I also doubt that such a stranding would have a happy ending today but for other reasons. Very few young people have even the beginnings of an idea of how to survive in such a situation. Even probably the majority of adults I know couldn't last 2 weeks like those boys did.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Hmm . . . a message for the APS regulars?

It's a feature not a bug  :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.