Author Topic: Does anyone here do yoga, or know anything about it?  (Read 3045 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Does anyone here do yoga, or know anything about it?
« on: June 02, 2020, 02:45:24 PM »
I am the first to admit that I know nothing of yoga.  My wife, however, has been talking about it from the standpoint of stretching and maintaining range of motion as we get older.  Apparently there are some local classes at the Y and some other places. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Does anyone here do yoga, or know anything about it?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 03:04:49 PM »
SWMBO does it on occasion, mostly as a stress reliever and to deal with leg and lower back cramps. Given its relatively low impact and controlled physicality, it seems it would be an excellent way for those of us past the half-century mark to maintain agility and range of motion.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 03:14:51 PM »
I am the first to admit that I know nothing of yoga.  My wife, however, has been talking about it from the standpoint of stretching and maintaining range of motion as we get older.  Apparently there are some local classes at the Y and some other places.  

If your wife is a white gal woman of whiteness, it's cultural appropriation, and it totally triggers me.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 03:22:56 PM »
I have bad knees and the normal "22 years in the Army" aches.  I started doing yoga 3(ish) times a week for core strength and flexibility about a year, year and a half ago.  When I keep up on it it really helps with flexibility and aches and pains, as well as making me less sore after running and workouts.  I haven't been able to do anything for about 6 weeks, and I can definitely feel it. 

I wouldn't go to a class however.  There is more than a lifetime's free yoga on Youtube that you can do in your own house, comfortably.

Here are some of the routines I use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCIviBT3Txc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYY8KovKO3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzm3fA2HhkQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JiIb8nUNJM

But there are thousands of vids depending on what you want to work on.  I just grabbed a yoga mat off of amazon for a non slip surface.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 03:41:08 PM »
What? Asking if anyone does yoga here after all the times I';ve talked about it!?!  [ar15]   :laugh:

Backstory: Cramming myself into little cockpits for hours at a time was killing my back during my working days. My doctor told me to do yoga and I told him I wasn't a liberal woman who drinks clear liquor or a homo. He told me to get over myself, but if I was having manliness issues to try Budokon, which is a mix of martial arts and yoga.

http://budokon.com/

I started using this DVD:

https://www.amazon.com/Cameron-Shayne-Budokon-Beginners/dp/B00068RZ18/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1TDNDK8NWOHPD&dchild=1&keywords=budokon+cameron+shayne&qid=1591126364&sprefix=budokon%2Caps%2C334&sr=8-2

It kicked my ass. Not the martial arts portion, but the yoga portion. I felt like a weakling. I had no idea how many muscles were involved in yoga. To this day, if for some reason I skip the moves in that DVD (at this point I have them memorized so work them into weekly training that also involves the heavy bag and TRX) for any length of time, I get my ass kicked again when I get back up to speed. Oh, also, the yoga took care of the back issues and to this day I attribute it to keeping my back mostly in shape.

There's also something like this DVD - "Yoga for Inflexible People":

https://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Inflexible-People-Judi-Rice/dp/B00006JXWB/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Yoga+for+Inflexible+People&qid=1591127041&s=movies-tv&sr=1-4

Which I find much easier than Budokon style yoga and good just for streching while watching TV or whatever, or, if you're inflexible. :)

Just examples. As Dogmush pointed out, lots of free stuff on the interwebz. But yes, I'm a big fan, especially, as far too many people here like to point out, I'm "Okay Boomer". I've been big on both the yoga and other strength training and protein supplements to keep my muscle mass from disappearing too fast as I approach death's door.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 03:56:37 PM »
What? Asking if anyone does yoga here after all the times I';ve talked about it!?!  [ar15]   :laugh:

Backstory: Cramming myself into little cockpits for hours at a time was killing my back during my working days. My doctor told me to do yoga and I told him I wasn't a liberal woman who drinks clear liquor or a homo. He told me to get over myself, but if I was having manliness issues to try Budokon, which is a mix of martial arts and yoga.

http://budokon.com/

I started using this DVD:

https://www.amazon.com/Cameron-Shayne-Budokon-Beginners/dp/B00068RZ18/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1TDNDK8NWOHPD&dchild=1&keywords=budokon+cameron+shayne&qid=1591126364&sprefix=budokon%2Caps%2C334&sr=8-2

It kicked my ass. Not the martial arts portion, but the yoga portion. I felt like a weakling. I had no idea how many muscles were involved in yoga. To this day, if for some reason I skip the moves in that DVD (at this point I have them memorized so work them into weekly training that also involves the heavy bag and TRX) for any length of time, I get my ass kicked again when I get back up to speed. Oh, also, the yoga took care of the back issues and to this day I attribute it to keeping my back mostly in shape.

There's also something like this DVD - "Yoga for Inflexible People":

https://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Inflexible-People-Judi-Rice/dp/B00006JXWB/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Yoga+for+Inflexible+People&qid=1591127041&s=movies-tv&sr=1-4

Which I find much easier than Budokon style yoga and good just for streching while watching TV or whatever, or, if you're inflexible. :)

Just examples. As Dogmush pointed out, lots of free stuff on the interwebz. But yes, I'm a big fan, especially, as far too many people here like to point out, I'm "Okay Boomer". I've been big on both the yoga and other strength training and protein supplements to keep my muscle mass from disappearing too fast as I approach death's door.

OK Boomer

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 04:05:45 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 04:19:59 PM »
I haven't done yoga in a while, but I've previously done yoga at a gym and with videos. Most recently I've used the Wii fit routine.

It might be more worthwhile to try the Wii fit yoga routines. It provides a lot of feedback about keeping your balance and form that you can't get from a DVD.

With the balance board measuring, it's a significant challenge and even has some more advanced poses. (And, of course, some that don't need the balance board.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 04:37:34 PM »
For stretching, Yin yoga is all stretching.

The other styles will build some measure of strength over time, particularly core strength.

I used to go to a Yin Yoga class at my gym and found it really helpful.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 04:40:49 PM »
As I see it, a possible advantages of classes is that I might get to see acceptable uses of yoga pants. 

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 04:57:09 PM »
As I see it, a possible advantages of classes is that I might get to see acceptable uses of yoga pants. 

Great...the thought of MillCreek in yoga pants just flashed through my mind...
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 04:57:34 PM »

Sure, whatever floats your boat, dude.  =D

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 05:12:43 PM »
If you don't yoga, you ain't black.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 05:37:57 PM »
If Ben were truly A Friend To All, he would come up with some pictures of Hot Ukrainian (former) Co-Worker in yoga pants.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 05:38:54 PM »
Great...the thought of MillCreek in yoga pants just flashed through my mind...

I am often in cycling tights and jersey, so just as bad, I suppose.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 05:47:13 PM »
If Ben were truly A Friend To All, he would come up with some pictures of Hot Ukrainian (former) Co-Worker in yoga pants.

There's way better ones than that on the interwebz now. She started competing nationally in those bikini fitness competitions and won like 2nd place or something  in the 40ish category.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 07:10:07 PM »
I thought it said Yoda.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 08:42:42 PM »

And the flip side, totally inappropriate use of yoga pants. You do know that yoga embraces all body shapes and more than of few of them use round as a shape. ;)

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 08:46:39 PM »
And the flip side, totally inappropriate use of yoga pants. You do know that yoga embraces all body shapes and more than of few of them use round as a shape. ;)

bob

I bet Millcreek thinks nude beaches are full of hot women.  :laugh:

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 09:03:32 PM »
I bet Millcreek thinks nude beaches are full of hot women.  :laugh:

A truism: the older you get, the people you are more likely to see naked are the very people you do not want to see naked.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 09:25:19 PM »
A truism: the older you get, the people you are more likely to see naked are the very people you do not want to see naked.

You don't have to wait till you're old. My 20something youthful libido was shocked into impotency on the beaches of Yugoslavia.

Though I will say that I saw some of the most beautiful women of my life there, but for every one of those, there were 20 "cannot be unseen" women. Sadly (Okay Boomer!) those beautiful women are today likely in the "cannot be unseen" category.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 09:41:15 PM »
Hell, the only thing I wore when I was super fat was yoga pants. They are comfy, damnit. I may never go back.

I have yoga DVD, but I never really stuck with it long enough to feel any real impact. However, there's a few positions that make my back feel wonderful.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2020, 02:19:19 PM »
Wouldn’t Tai Chi be better?
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2020, 03:37:34 PM »
Wouldn’t Tai Chi be better?

I always saw Tai Chi as more of a balance and movement thing. Yoga is the deep stretching and breathing.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2020, 12:45:23 PM »
This is something I need to start.

Looking on amazon prime I have access to 1039 different yoga instructors.