Author Topic: Ceiling Fan Question  (Read 623 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Ceiling Fan Question
« on: June 08, 2020, 06:22:47 PM »
I have a ceiling fan in my dining room that the pull chain switch has failed on.

A back-burner project of mine has been to replace all the ceiling fans in the house, ideally with low profile ones so the fans are closer to the ceiling, and eliminate the three-bulb light fixtures on them in favor of something more modern.

Given the evolution of light bulb technology, I've been eagerly awaiting the demise of the "Edison Screw" format.  It's horrifically wasteful in space.  But it seems even if you look for a ceiling fan with an LED fixture under the fan, they just put LED bulbs in standard Edison outlets.  Are you folks aware of any fans that have a long life permanent installed low profile LED light fixture?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jim147

• friends
Re: Ceiling Fan Question
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 06:27:44 PM »
I'm not a fan of ceilings. No I don't know of any and I have two to replace so have been looking in recent weeks.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 07:11:17 PM »
As space-intensive as Edison bases are, they do offer up the option of easily switching out lamps. Gives endless lumen/color temp options. Permanently affixed LEDs lock you to whatever they are. Forever. Replaceable lamps also future-proof you against a failed lamp. Lose a ballast or emitter in a permanent set and you have to replace the whole thing.

To directly answer your question, I've seen a couple of fans with permamount LED setups. IIRC, they were artsy fartsy type designs that were pretty way out there in terms of style.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 09:13:54 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 10:11:49 PM »
As space-intensive as Edison bases are, they do offer up the option of easily switching out lamps. Gives endless lumen/color temp options. Permanently affixed LEDs lock you to whatever they are. Forever. Replaceable lamps also future-proof you against a failed lamp. Lose an emitter in a permanent set and you have to replace the whole thing.

Very true. Might be over-ridden by space constraints though.

You can find fixtures tunable and/or programmable for color or brightness. Eventually, I guess they'll all be that way.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 10:27:34 PM »
Replace an E26 lamp and you replace the ballast as well.  That's a good thing.  I have a low-profile LED ceiling fixture that I really like that the ballast went out after about a year.  I haven't thrown it out yet because I keep telling myself I can find a replacement ballast for it -- but I haven't found one yet.
"It's good, though..."