Author Topic: Need advice for a car pistol "safe"  (Read 1116 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Need advice for a car pistol "safe"
« on: June 16, 2020, 06:28:13 PM »
I put safe in quotes because I know it's obviously not a "safe", but y'all get the idea.

Sis-in-law is looking for recommendations for my brother for father's day.   Any suggestions on a decent car security container for handguns?

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Need advice for a car pistol "safe"
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 06:45:14 PM »
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1093639915570

I use this, with a combination lock.  It is cabled to the seat bracket of the front driver's seat in the Tacoma. I keep it stowed under the seat.  I am looking only to deter a 'smash and grab', since a pair of boltcutters would cut the cable. But up here, the typical car prowler does not carry boltcutters.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 07:06:41 PM »
When I used one, it was similar to Millcreek's. I kept the combo one number off for sorta semi-quick access. Example: combo 1 2 3 would be set at 1 2 4.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 08:49:51 PM »
I have the same type box, but mine uses a key.  There are more secure options out there, but for a quick stow-and-go option, this is good enough.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 07:39:59 AM »
I got this one from Amazon (no longer available, apparently).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077FJB2Y9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great, feels very sturdy, cable seems to be tough.

I debated back and forth about whether to get one with a simplex lock or a key and finally decided on the key. My primary use for it is stowing my revolver when I'm at the office. Given what I do and the customers I support, they have a very dim view of carting a gun into the work place.

But, it's a good place to stow my wallet when I'm at the park with Seren and I also keep some road money in there in case I'm traveling and need cash.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 08:51:31 AM »
I have to admit that I violate the 'rules' in that I keep a revolver in my truck safe 24/7.  It is there for emergencies and I am not taking it in and out of the house every day.  It is a Taurus 605 Poly Protector, so that if it is stolen, I am not out one of my much more expensive pistols or revolvers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 09:01:34 AM »
In my last truck, I had a console vault.  It wasn't real cheap, but it was sturdy. 

One thing I was always told was to keep anything and everything out of plain sight.  If I bought something at one store, it went in the floor of the back seat when I stopped at the next store.  Does everyone do that?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 10:17:16 AM »
One thing I was always told was to keep anything and everything out of plain sight.  If I bought something at one store, it went in the floor of the back seat when I stopped at the next store.  Does everyone do that?

I usually don't go way out of my way to hide stuff, other than not keeping it someplace like the front passenger seat. The tinted rear windows on both my vehicles make it hard to see anything I throw in the back. I suppose part of it depends on where you live. Even in the places I lived in CA, I only took normal precautions against theft. If I lived in Oakland or somewhere, I would handle things differently.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 12:08:22 PM »
I have to admit that I violate the 'rules' in that I keep a revolver in my truck safe 24/7.  It is there for emergencies and I am not taking it in and out of the house every day.  It is a Taurus 605 Poly Protector, so that if it is stolen, I am not out one of my much more expensive pistols or revolvers.

I’ve read a few articles on web sites about truck guns or car guns, and they always admonish you never to leave a gun in a car unattended. Which is strange to me, as I thought the whole point of such a gun is to always be available in the vehicle. I don’t see how it’s practical to cart a gun to and from the safe in the house to the safe in the car every time I drive somewhere.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 05:48:35 PM »

I’ve read a few articles on web sites about truck guns or car guns, and they always admonish you never to leave a gun in a car unattended. Which is strange to me, as I thought the whole point of such a gun is to always be available in the vehicle. I don’t see how it’s practical to cart a gun to and from the safe in the house to the safe in the car every time I drive somewhere.

The important thing is they got to admonish you.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 07:05:44 PM »
The important thing is they got to admonish you.

There is that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife