Author Topic: Am I insane?  (Read 2563 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Am I insane?
« on: March 08, 2007, 02:57:09 AM »
Randonneuring: Randonneuring is long-distance unsupported endurance cycling. This style of riding is non-competitive in nature, and self-sufficiency is paramount. When riders participate in randonneuring events, they are part of a long tradition that goes back to the beginning of the sport of cycling in France and Italy. Friendly camaraderie, not competition, is the hallmark of randonneuring.

It sounds like it's right up my alley.  There's even a local club devoted to it. 

The shortest Brevet (officially sanctioned ride) distance is 200km. 

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Am I insane?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 02:58:37 AM »
Unsupported bicycling?

What, no jock strap?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 03:04:58 AM »
Go for it, 200 clicks is a one day ride  grin
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 03:26:03 AM »
Don't know.  Are you in shape to do it?

If so, then no, you are committed.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 04:38:22 AM »
Not yet (dang weather!).  I've been in the shape required for the shorter Brevets in the past, but I'm not currently there yet.  I should be by this summer though.  I'm not much into racing, but I have always enjoyed going on long, pointless bike rides.  The closest I've gotten to 200km is 110miles and that was because I made a wrong turn during a standard Century. Shocked

Chris

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 04:59:34 AM »
On a good day I can drive 200k in my car without breaking a sweat.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 05:13:17 AM »
I think by unsupported he means carrying everything you need, on you. No motorcycles clearing traffic and no estate cars handing you water every few miles.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 05:16:29 AM »
That's what it means and Mike knows that.  He's being "funny". Wink

I've never done any rides with motorcycles clearning traffic or cars bringing me drinks, but I have done longer rides that included official rest stops with drinks and snacks every 10-20 miles.  A Randonneur wouldn't even offer that much.  Just you and the bike with a few checkpoints to ensure you aren't lying in a ditch somewhere.

Chris

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 06:05:10 AM »
If you are looking for the standard smart-ass answer would should expect from us on this board yes you are insane.  However, since I am not someone who practices in that field nor stayed in a Holiday Inn last night I would advise you seek professional help for a more conclusive diagnosis. grin

But seriously 200k works out to what 124 some miles give or take.  If you are in shape and can carry enough water with you then sure go for it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 06:28:12 AM »
Neat article on the main event of Randonneuring, the Paris-Best-Paris ride: http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/545746.html

Having done some racing in my past, I'm not too keen on that scene, but I really enjoy long distance riding events.  I loved both of the MS150s I did.  The Seagull Century was a lot of fun, but my neck and shoulders weren't up to it.  By the 80th mile, I was in some pain.  However, I work out in the gym as well as bike these days, so I think my core will handle the stress better.  I just need more endurance work.  If the MS150 goes well this year, I'm going to sign up for the Seagull again. 

I'm hoping the long distance biking thing sticks because I need some way to offset my eating habits.  I'm not disciplined enough to maintain a reduced calorie diet year around. Smiley  Mountain biking 20-30 miles a week isn't going to cut it.

Maybe JamisJockey will join me.  I'd like to make him suffer a bit. Cheesy

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 06:54:48 AM »
"That's what it means and Mike knows that.  He's being "funny"."

You're the one contemplating another minion. You'd think you'd be worried about the damage that riding "unsupported" could do... Cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 10:29:51 AM »

Am I insane?

Yes.  Next question?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 12:24:23 PM »
Nope, you're not insane.  Randonneuring sounds like fun. 

I started doing some light touring last summer and really enjoyed it.  There's something deeply satisfying about knowing that you have everything you need to survive on the back of your bike, and that you go anywhere you want and cover some pretty impressive distances using only your own body power.  The sense of freedom that offers sort of took me by surprise.  I figured it would be just another way to go camping, but it turned out to be a borderline spiritual experience.

I imagine randonneuring isn't so terribly different.  The concept is basically the same, except for the fact that randonneur rides are one day affairs instead of overnighters.

Go for it.  Give us a good write up after your first ride.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 02:56:27 PM »
Maybe, but it's a good crazy!  Having seen many of the "supported" long distance cycling events up here, I don't think much of them.  They have several vans, a mobile bike repair facility and of course all the food and comforts of home.  It's a real three ring event.  As I understand it, the Randonneurs take things back to the dawn of long distance cycling, when you had to be prepared to deal with trouble yourself.  The bikes have spare parts and kits attached, along with supplies. 

Not yet (dang weather!)

That's no excuse!  Check out these guys, who bike along the Iditarod route a month before the hunds:

http://www.alaskaultrasport.com/latest_news.html

Even I've been riding to work for the past few weeks, with winds at up to 40mph and temps as far down as ten below.  The only thing that really causes problems are deep snow drifts.  I've got a repair kit attached to the basket, and keep a possibles bag with me on all but the local shopping runs. 

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 03:18:17 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I've been riding, but it's hard to do any meaningful training because they plow the roads and pile the snow onto the sidewalks or where the bike paths cross the roads.  I'm getting about 10-20 miles a week.  I'd rather be in the 50-100 mile per week range.

The trails are too wet for my mtb, the bike paths are just clearing when we get more snow, and riding the roads is suicide.  angry

Chris

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 04:51:42 PM »

Yes.

And after reading the post, Gods yes.  You need to be locked in a secure facility and studied by scientists to figure out how to make sure your insanity can be eradicated.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 10:53:01 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I've been riding, but it's hard to do any meaningful training because they plow the roads and pile the snow onto the sidewalks or where the bike paths cross the roads.  I'm getting about 10-20 miles a week.  I'd rather be in the 50-100 mile per week range.

The trails are too wet for my mtb, the bike paths are just clearing when we get more snow, and riding the roads is suicide.  angry
Chris

I know what you mean about the sidewalks.  They're a mix of chunder ice and what I call "biscuit dough" snow.  Very hard to navigate.  But I'm surprised you can't find some back roads to get some distance on.  Using Google Earth I've managed to find some nice unadvertised routes that avoid the main roads but stay on (relatively) plowed surface streets.  Also, keep in mind that a mile through the chunder is worth three on the open road.  You get a heck of a workout plowing your way through on a bike. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 04:49:38 AM »
In this area of Northern Virginia the "back roads" are often as heavily traveled as the main roads, only there are no shoulders to speak of.

Double suicidal.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 04:57:52 AM »
My sister in law recently ran a 50 miles marathon so I guess I can't call you insane. 

If you have to carry a flashlight to run a marathon, something is wrong.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 05:22:28 AM »
In this area of Northern Virginia the "back roads" are often as heavily traveled as the main roads, only there are no shoulders to speak of.
Double suicidal.

Exactly.  At least the main roads have wide shoulders, sidewalks, etc to bail onto.  There are quite a number of bike paths, but they're in bad shape this time of year.  Another couple weeks and things will improve greatly.

Chris

crt360

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 02:07:18 PM »
My sister in law recently ran a 50 miles marathon so I guess I can't call you insane. 

If you have to carry a flashlight to run a marathon, something is wrong.

Those 50 mile marathons are crazy.  If you have to run 50 miles, something is wrong.  If you WANT to run 50 miles, something is seriously wrong.

I ran regularly when I was in high school and college.  I used to run in the Capitol 10,000 and some 5Ks.  Now I have a bad ankle that craps out on me if I run for any significant distance.

I never understood why anybody wanted to run a marathon, much less a 50 mile one.  I never had fun running.  None of the people I ran with looked like they were enjoying it either.  The only "runner's high" I ever got was from running by some Rastas smoking weed on the sidewalk.

Cycling is at least exciting - a violent crash is always just a small mistake away, sometimes you get to go really fast, and scenery moves by fast enough to keep you from getting bored.  The randonneuring thing doesn't sound too bad.
For entertainment purposes only.