Author Topic: U.S. Military Now Authorized to Kill Americans on U.S. Soil?  (Read 486 times)

MechAg94

• friend
U.S. Military Now Authorized to Kill Americans on U.S. Soil?
« on: October 16, 2024, 08:52:05 AM »
I saw the video below.  He does 2nd amendment videos with Military Arms Channel (https://www.youtube.com/@secondlegacy).  No smoking guns yet, but very curious timing on a change to DoD rules on domestic actions of the military.  Lethal Force is authorized under specific conditions. 

HAPPENING NOW: Military Authorized To Use LETHAL FORCE To ASSIST Civilian Police In Civil Unrest...
Langley Outdoors Academy
https://www.youtube.com/live/mJ1Kuoi4yTc

U.S. Military Now Authorized to Kill Americans on U.S. Soil?
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2024-10-12/us-military-now-authorized-kill-americans-us-soil-new-dod-directive-drops

Via GreenMedInfo (emphasis added):

“As the U.S. prepares for one of the most controversial and closely watched elections in its history, a concerning update to DoD Directive 5240.01 has quietly been put into effect. Reissued on September 27, 2024, this directive governs the Department of Defense's (DoD) intelligence activities and now includes provisions authorizing lethal force in certain circumstances when assisting civilian law enforcement. While the directive forbids assassination, it opens the door to lethal interventions under "national security" conditions….

The reissuance of DoD Directive 5240.01 repealed previous versions, including the 1982 DoD 5240.1-R. While the update might seem routine, the changes regarding the use of lethal force in domestic operations are significant.

In the 2016 version, the directive primarily focused on intelligence collection and ensuring civil liberties protections for U.S. persons. It emphasized strict oversight and the need for authorization before collecting U.S. person information.

However, the 2024 version expands the military's role, particularly in assisting civil law enforcement, and authorizes lethal force under specific conditions, raising questions about its use during potential civil unrest surrounding the election.”

Zerohedge links to these guys. 
DoD Directive 5240.01: The Stealth Expansion of Military Intelligence Powers in Life-or-Death Domestic Scenarios
https://greenmedinfo.com/content/dod-directive-524001-stealth-expansion-military-intelligence-powers-life-or--0

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: U.S. Military Now Authorized to Kill Americans on U.S. Soil?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2024, 09:15:53 AM »
Wouldn't any DoD assistance to civilian law enforcement be a violation pf Posse Comitatus?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2024, 09:32:21 AM »
They have to do it now, before Trump does it, to prevent Trump from doing it when he does it.

It's perfectly cromulent.
Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?
--Thomas Jefferson

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2024, 12:11:36 PM »
It may not mean anything by itself.  I guess some like to remind us about the potential election steal.  One more little thing done to remove any obstacles against using any Govt force against American citizens. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2024, 12:13:11 PM »
Wouldn't any DoD assistance to civilian law enforcement be a violation pf Posse Comitatus?
I do not know the details.  I sort of assume those limits have been eroded over the years like a lot of other things.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2024, 12:22:55 PM »
As as I can tell, Fox News hasn't picked up on this at all, which makes it highly suspect in my opinion.

Reading some of the information that's on the various hard-right-leaning websites, this strikes me something like the incredibly overinflated reaction to DHS buying a large amount of ammo in "civilian" calibers some years ago... everything from "GUBMINT GON BY ALL THE AMMOS TO MAKE GUN KENTROL!!!" to "This is a clear indication that the DHS is being armed and equipped to wage war on Conservative Americans to ensure a coup and an Obama dictatorship."

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2024, 12:37:11 PM »
That is not what that DoDD says.

It actually makes it more restrictive on when, how, and who can appove DOD Intel assets working with Domestic law enforcement.  It lays out a bunch of limits on what can be done, and who can make the approval.  The paragraph that has zero hedge all aflutter is saying that IF you are responding with assets that have the potential for leathality (Which is pretty much everything the DOD has) the approval authority is the SECDEF, and it can not be delegated any lower.  The whole section is on laying out what DOD Intel and counter intel folks can and can't do while assisting Local Law Enforcement.

in contrast, the previous DoDD 5240.01 just said:

This Directive:
2.3. Does not apply to authorized law enforcement activities carried out by the Defense
Intelligence Components, or to individuals executing law enforcement missions while assigned
to the Defense Intelligence Components.

So instead of giving a blanket out for anything a DOD Spook does while conducting "authorized Law Enforcement activities", the new DODD lays out specifically what assistance can be offered, and who you have to ask to get permission to give it.

Also of note: This DoDD does not apply to the "US Military".  It applies only to DOD intel assets and units doing intel work.  Specifically:
This issuance applies to

b. Any DoD Component, when conducting the training of personnel to perform intelligence
duties or activities; any use of tradecraft as defined in this issuance; the conduct of research,
development, testing and evaluation for the purpose of developing intelligence capabilities; and
any intelligence-related and sensitive activities
and related matters subject to the Under Secretary
of Defense for Intelligence and Security (USD(I&S))

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2024, 12:47:21 PM »

No.

Quote from: 10 U.S.C. § 275.
Restriction on direct participation by military personnel:
The Secretary of Defense shall prescribe such regulations as may be necessary to ensure that any activity (including the provision of any equipment or facility or the assignment or detail of any personnel) under this chapter does not include or permit direct participation by a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps in a search, seizure, arrest, or other similar activity unless participation in such activity by such member is otherwise authorized by law.

The .mil does lots of law enforcement assistance that fall outside those prescriptions.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2024, 03:55:18 PM »
As as I can tell, Fox News hasn't picked up on this at all, which makes it highly suspect in my opinion.

Reading some of the information that's on the various hard-right-leaning websites, this strikes me something like the incredibly overinflated reaction to DHS buying a large amount of ammo in "civilian" calibers some years ago... everything from "GUBMINT GON BY ALL THE AMMOS TO MAKE GUN KENTROL!!!" to "This is a clear indication that the DHS is being armed and equipped to wage war on Conservative Americans to ensure a coup and an Obama dictatorship."

Some millions of hollowpoint .40 S&W, wasn' tit?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2024, 04:53:34 PM »
Some millions of hollowpoint .40 S&W, wasn' tit?

I think that's what kicked the entire mess off (16 million rounds sticks in my head?), but by the time it was over, DA GUBMINT BYIN ALL DA AMOZ!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2024, 07:03:35 PM »
So, when are we authorized to return fire? Blue Helmets first? Inquiring minds wanna know.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2024, 09:44:24 AM »
ALERT! Biden & Harris Authorize Military To Use Lethal Force On Americans!!
Guns & Gadgets 2nd Amendment News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLCzT6Tdnc

Guns & Gadgets puts in their 2 cents.  About the same tone as the one I posted.  Hopefully, it is nothing.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2024, 09:55:28 AM »
Jesus Christ...

*expletive deleted*ing idiots.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2024, 09:56:06 AM »
ALERT! Biden & Harris Authorize Military To Use Lethal Force On Americans!!
Guns & Gadgets 2nd Amendment News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLCzT6Tdnc

Guns & Gadgets puts in their 2 cents.  About the same tone as the one I posted.  Hopefully, it is nothing.

Again,  That's not what it says.  He's a liar.  He's also lying about "Never before has the Army been allowed to use leathal force in the homeland" as anyone with even a cursory knowledge of history knows.

Don't take my word for it.  DoDD 5024.01 is public: https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/dodd/524001p.PDF?ver=UpTwJ66AyyBgvy7wFyTGbA%3d%3d
« Last Edit: October 17, 2024, 01:55:22 PM by dogmush »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2024, 10:07:08 AM »
Again,  That's not what it says.  He's a liar.  He's also lying about "Never before has the Army been allowed to use leathal force in the homeland" as anyone with even a cursory knowledge of history knows.

Don't take my word for it.  DoDD 5024.01 is public: https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/dodd/524001p.PDF?ver=UpTwJ66AyyBgvy7wFyTGbA%3d%3d

BUH BUH BUH BUH... DED PATROTIK 'MURIKANS!

DEMS DIKTAYTORSHEP!

ITS HAPPIN, MAN! ITS HAPPIN!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2024, 10:29:51 AM »

Who are you talking about? The G&G guy?
Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?
--Thomas Jefferson

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2024, 01:54:34 PM »
Who are you talking about? The G&G guy?

Yes,  I thought I had gotten in directly under MechAg's post.  I'll add a quote to make it more clear.