Author Topic: Does anyone use the Kindle reader for PC?  (Read 842 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Does anyone use the Kindle reader for PC?
« on: January 16, 2021, 10:44:53 AM »
Mine has developed a new trick. I open the program, select a book from my library, tell it to go to the first page, and the program ... vanishes.

Just ... GONE. No error messages, no lengthy delays or time-outs. The program just disappears from the screen. If I check Task manager, there's no Kindle running in the background. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it, to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Does anyone use the Kindle reader for PC?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 11:01:13 AM »
start with, uninstall and reinstall from a freshly downloaded copy.  your data files (downloaded books) will still be there.

(I have it installed somewhere, because there is a procedure for converting kindle to drm free epub or pdf that uses that as an intermediary step.  Had mine open yesterday, was working, have never seen what you  describe.)

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 01:07:07 PM »
start with, uninstall and reinstall from a freshly downloaded copy.  your data files (downloaded books) will still be there.

Already did that. No joy.

(I have it installed somewhere, because there is a procedure for converting kindle to drm free epub or pdf that uses that as an intermediary step.  Had mine open yesterday, was working, have never seen what you  describe.)

Are you talking about the Kindle for PC reader, or the Kindle Create software? I don't think the reader has any conversion capabilities. (Of course, I can't really check that, since it won't run for me.)

robear

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 01:12:44 PM »
I use Kindle for PC Reader (V 1.30.0 (59056)) and have had no trouble at all lately.   I just tried it and all works fine.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 01:17:19 PM »
Kindle working fine here.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 04:32:45 PM »
Already did that. No joy.

Are you talking about the Kindle for PC reader, or the Kindle Create software? I don't think the reader has any conversion capabilities. (Of course, I can't really check that, since it won't run for me.)

The reader per se does  not.   A bit of software called "calibre", plus some plugins for it, does.  Or did.  Mine stopped working a while ago.  You'd use the Kindle reader to actually download the files.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 09:39:58 PM »
The reader per se does  not.   A bit of software called "calibre", plus some plugins for it, does.  Or did.  Mine stopped working a while ago.  You'd use the Kindle reader to actually download the files.

Yeah, I have Calibre. My problem is that the reader stopped working. I haven't tried it (until last night) since the update from Windows release 2004 to release 20H2, so I wonder if Windows broke it. I'll have to try it on another computer.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 10:25:45 PM »
Yeah, I have Calibre. My problem is that the reader stopped working. I haven't tried it (until last night) since the update from Windows release 2004 to release 20H2, so I wonder if Windows broke it. I'll have to try it on another computer.

The virtual I have the Kindle reader software on is 20h2, so that by itself isn't the problem.

-----edit to add----

Me as tech would start with "sfc /scannow" and "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" from a command line with admin rights.  After that, if it still crashes, check the application event log right after it crashes, to see if there might be a clue.  I'm going to guess some needed precursor is broke.  One of the .NET releases, MS C++ runtime, something like that.  Just a guess.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:14:02 AM by lee n. field »