Author Topic: Studs in non load bearing wall  (Read 778 times)

Chester32141

• friend
Studs in non load bearing wall
« on: January 18, 2021, 09:28:09 AM »

I need to put a six inch hole through the wall of one bedroom into another.  The hole needs to go straight thru a stud w/minimal wiggle room for positioning.  It is 18" from the outside corner in the one room and about 5 feet from the corner in the second room as the second room is 5' longer than the first.  It is a non load bearing wall.  Can I just cut through the stud w/out hurting structural integrity.   I plan on having a contractor check the load bearing status of the wall prior to cutting.  If it's a load bearing wall would the answer be the same or different?

[popcorn]
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Studs in non load bearing wall
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 10:02:03 AM »
There's a lot of redundancy in houses.  By code, I don't think it's allowed.  The IMC (and probably IRC) have rules dealing with how much a non-load bearing wall can be cut, notched or bored. 
https://up.codes/s/drilling-and-notching-of-studs

Doing it proper would probably involve relocating the stud in question, and possibly adding another to keep distance between studs reasonable.

Hawkmoon can probably give a more detailed answer.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 10:08:50 AM »
Should be fine if it's not load bearing. If not load bearing the studs are mostly keeping the drywall up. Even if load bearing one shouldn't hurt since as said above "There's a lot of redundancy in houses". Only real issues I can think of is if someone comes along and wants to hang heavy load hooks or shelves on that stud.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 10:17:03 AM »
What are you installing that's so positionally-inflexible that the port cant be offset three inches to clear the stud?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 10:52:23 AM »
What are you installing that's so positionally-inflexible that the port cant be offset three inches to clear the stud?

Brad

It's a special air filtration/ventilation system for my wife.  Off setting it 3 inches would move the unit 3 inches further into the room and result in wasted space in a small room.  Although not ideal it is my solution should the wall be load bearing.  My wife has breathing problems that trigger her MS.  This will allow her to have a room that has both fresh air and clean air more so than a simple air filtration unit.
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 12:04:28 PM »
If you are certain that it's not a load-carrying wall, there's no structural problem. Is it allowed by code? No.

From the 2018 International Residential Code (some version of which all states have adopted):

R602.6 Drilling and notching of studs. Drilling and notching
of studs shall be in accordance with the following:

1. Notching. Any stud in an exterior wall or bearing partition
shall be permitted to be cut or notched to a depth
not exceeding 25 percent of its width. Studs in nonbearing
partitions shall be permitted to be notched to a
depth not to exceed 40 percent of a single stud width.

2. Drilling. Any stud shall be permitted to be bored or
drilled, provided that the diameter of the resulting hole
is not more than 60 percent of the stud width, the edge
of the hole is not more than 5/8 inch (16 mm) to the edge
of the stud, and the hole is not located in the same section
as a cut or notch. Studs located in exterior walls or
bearing partitions drilled over 40 percent and up to 60
percent shall be doubled with not more than two successive
doubled studs bored. See Figures R602.6(1) and
R602.6(2).

The right way to do it would be to open up the wall and frame out a box (like for a window) around where you need the pipe or duct to go through the wall. If it's sheetrock on one or both sides, this would be easy to do. (Admittedly, not as easy as drilling a hole and pushing the duct through.)

If the wall is load-bearing, then the only way to do it is to open it up and frame it like a small window opening. In checking it for load-bearing, in addition to vertical loads you also need to ascertain if that wall/partition is part of the braced wall system for the structure. Within 18 inches of the exterior wall, it might be part of a braced wall.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:16:36 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 12:21:37 PM »
Thanks a lot guys .... I've got a contractor starting on a cosmetic remodel in the near future ... much as I'd like to install it myself now, I think I'll have him install it and then I will know it was done right.  (Guy's got a great reputation) I appreciate the input.

=)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 12:37:27 PM by Chester32141 »

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce