Author Topic: Army Guys - Is Tom Cotton a Ranger or Not?  (Read 717 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Army Guys - Is Tom Cotton a Ranger or Not?
« on: January 25, 2021, 07:11:45 PM »
This story say he's stealing valor because he wasn't in the Ranger Regiment, although he earned the tab.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/01/25/washington-free-beacon-looks-into-the-researcher-who-helped-with-salons-saddest-hit-piece-ever-on-sen-tom-cotton/

An aside is how the "reporter" got the info, and from whom, and what other kinds of hit pieces they set up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Army Guys - Is Tom Cotton a Ranger or Not?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 07:29:35 PM »
He earned his tab.  Seems legit to me.

If a person earns jump wings, we say he is Airborne even if he never jumps again.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 07:38:09 PM »
A tab means you graduated Ranger school.  It does not mean you went through qualification/testing, wore the beret, and served in the Regiment.  By tradition, only those who wore the beret claim the title "Ranger".

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 07:44:54 PM »
I believe as of now two women have made it through Ranger school. Are they assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment? If not, does the liberal press make a point of informing us that, even though they passed the course, these women are "not rangers"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 07:56:34 PM »
I believe as of now two women have made it through Ranger school. Are they assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment? If not, does the liberal press make a point of informing us that, even though they passed the course, these women are "not rangers"?

The articles I have read about them call them "Ranger school graduates" , which is accurate.

Think of it this way...you go to law school and graduate...you are a law school graduate.  Pass the bar exam, and you are a lawyer. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 09:59:43 PM »
I am not familiar with Tom Cotton.  Was he claiming to be "A Ranger"? 

Seems a silly thing to get bent out of shape about considering all the other stuff going on and the quality of most of the politicians in D.C.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 10:49:43 PM »
I am not familiar with Tom Cotton.  Was he claiming to be "A Ranger"?  

Seems a silly thing to get bent out of shape about considering all the other stuff going on and the quality of most of the politicians in D.C.

Well, he's a republican so...

From his web page-
After law school, Tom joined the infantry where he completed combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. He served as an officer in the Old Guard at Arlington Cemetery, the unit responsible for military funerals. Tom was awarded the Bronze Star Medal, the Combat Infantry Badge, and the Ranger Tab during his service.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 10:52:46 PM »
Maybe that author should next look into Richard Blumenthal's claims to have served as a Marine in Vietnam ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 01:00:26 PM »
Strictly speaking he is not a Ranger.

Serve in 75th Ranger Regiment and earn a tan beret and Ranger Scroll (unit patch) = Ranger
Graduate Ranger School and earn the Ranger Tab = Ranger qualified, tabbed, or "graduated Ranger School"

However, this usage is not consistent even in the Army.  Much less by campaign staffers or reporters.  And I have yet to see anything from Tom Cotton or his campaign literature claiming he served in the 75th Ranger Regiment.  He is usually very clear about his service.  See for example, the quote RoadKingLarry posted.  The only direct evidence I've seen was that campaign flyer stating he "volunteered to be an Army Ranger."  That looks like it was written by a campaign staffer or local party with limited knowledge and limited space.

Underneath all the media hype and political accusations I'm not sure he's even guilty of using the term "Ranger" loosely.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:14:08 PM by Phantom Warrior »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 06:36:04 PM »
What T.OM. and Phantom said.

Not a Ranger, but a school graduate  or "earned a tab" are both accurate.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 09:45:34 PM »
It's just hit-piece after hit-piece with these people.

Cotton should get himself sworn in as a park ranger and really make it hard for them to write their idiot stories without going into a long explanation.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 10:54:30 PM »
I read this book a while back, and the author makes it clear that if you are a young Army officer who intends to climb the infantry career ladder, you go to Ranger School and get the tab, just as you get your jump wings.  Actually serving in the Ranger Regiment and getting the Regimental patch is a different level.

https://www.amazon.com/Sua-Sponte-Forging-Modern-American/dp/0425253600

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 11:23:55 PM »
Like the rest said,  difference between Ranger Qualified and actually served in the regiment.

I technically served with a MARSOC unit.  I'm POG all day, and didn't so any damned thing that was high speed but hey,  MARSOC!  Yet there are plenty of retards out there claiming that particular honor that didn't really earn it.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.