Author Topic: This isn't cricket. I'm a little stunned.  (Read 1056 times)

Iain

• friend
This isn't cricket. I'm a little stunned.
« on: March 22, 2007, 04:01:21 PM »
Background - right now it's the cricket world cup, being hosted in the West Indies, although I expect that is not a widely known fact 'over there'. Anyway, recently Pakistan lost a couple of matches, including one to an Irish team of part-timers. They are out of a world cup that they should have been in serious contention to win, and cricket is a national obsession.

The Pakistan coach, a former England player called Bob Woolmer, was found unconscious in his room and died in hospital shortly after. Immediately there was speculation over heart attacks, he was a large chap and in his late '50s, obviously recently under a good deal of stress. Soon after the Jamaican police began referring to his death as 'suspicious', although they pointed out that this was because it was initially unexplained.

Now it is being treated as murder, "manual strangulation" is said to be what caused his death. - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6482981.stm
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: This isn't cricket. I'm a little stunned.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 04:06:46 PM »
Believe it or not, it's being reported here on the sports wires.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 04:10:03 PM »
Funny that former colonial territories have a passion for the games of their former overlords.  But then, the Japanese are mad about Baseball and Golf.

If not cardiac failure, the first two motives that come to mind are:

1. Punishment for the loss and resulting dishonor by the Pakistanis.

2. A lot of money had been wagered on the Pakastanis by organized crime, who are understandably miffed that their favored team now being out of the running.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 01:49:03 AM »
Thinking about it, that doesn't surprise me Mike. Which is partly why this is so shocking, cricket is a national obsession in some countries (India, Pakistan...) and a major sport in others, like mine or Australia. Other than the countries that play it, it doesn't attract much attention, there have been scandals such as the odd doping offence, or match-fixing, but it really does take something awful for the whole world to sit up and take notice of cricket.

For me cricket existed outside the real dirty end of professional sports, even of life. The intrusions of match fixing or doping allegations were just that, intrusions and were generally treated as such. When Pakistan and the umpire Darryl Hair had their spat last summer it seemed so unworthy and petty, like it wasn't a part of cricket. This is like a loss of innocence, but that might just be me. Bit sad on my part perhaps.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 03:26:26 AM »
Oh yeah, the Darry Hair thing made the sports wires here, too.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 04:54:02 AM »
I dont know what people get out of that game. I've had it explained to me several times and it makes no sense.  Watching it makes even less sense.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 05:26:24 AM »
Isn't every death in Jamaica a little dodgy? police

Cricket is followed closely where I am, Iain.  The Indian joint where I had lunch the other day had a match on and it was hard to get a table.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 05:57:11 AM »
This past summer a group converted a city park that wasn't being used for baseball into a cricket field.  At least once a week they would be out there playing and at least every other month they would have a tournament.  And this is Tulsa, OK.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 06:34:48 AM »
Ok, that's good news. Now, go watch some Twenty20, it's the easiest route into the game there is.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 07:30:54 AM »
Well, color me unsurprised.  One of Saddam's sons tortured the heck out of the Iraqi soccer team for losing.

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Note to self: Do not engage in organized athletics east of Vienna.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Iain

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 12:34:40 AM »
Update - This may turn out to be a little embarrassing for the Jamaican police...
Scotland Yard detectives have told Jamaican police that the former Pakistan cricket coach, Bob Woolmer, was not murdered, the BBC understands.

The apparent verdict follows work by a UK Home Office pathologist, who flew to Jamaica to probe Mr Woolmer's death...

...according to a report in the Daily Mail newspaper, police in Kingston now believe Mr Woolmer died of natural causes, brought on by chronic ill-health and possibly diabetes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6714545.stm

Vile Nylons

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 02:58:06 AM »
Probably gonna be pretty tough to fill coaches slot, eh? grin