Author Topic: Ubuntu Help ??  (Read 1292 times)

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
Ubuntu Help ??
« on: March 23, 2007, 06:04:31 AM »
Yesterday, I took the plunge and installed Ubuntu on a "spare" PC I had laying around. All in all, it went really smoothly. Two problems I'm not sure how to fix. 1.) The HP D135 Printer. The icon says it's "ready" but it doesn't print (It's a network printer) 2.) Streaming audio won't play off of a website. I downloaded and installed MPlayer & RealPlayer10. The sound apparently works because I can access the sounds icon and there is sound when I press test, plus there are sounds when I open a window, etc. Any ideas??
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Iain

• friend
Re: Ubuntu Help ??
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 06:31:53 AM »
Do you know about restricted formats? If you've got all that sorted then I'm of no use to you, sorry.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 09:39:33 AM »
I did find one problem. For some reason, whenever I'd boot up the Ubuntu PC, it would kill the rest of the network. Upon pages and pages of reading, I discovered that IPv6 was my problem. I turned that off and rebooted. One problem down.

I also went to a site and did some video. Both the video and audio played fine. Perhaps it's just the one site I was trying to listen to.

I installed HPLIP and that found the printer, but it still acts like it's printing, but nada.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

USMILNET

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 11:11:56 AM »
I did find one problem. For some reason, whenever I'd boot up the Ubuntu PC, it would kill the rest of the network. Upon pages and pages of reading, I discovered that IPv6 was my problem. I turned that off and rebooted. One problem down.
IPv6 will not kill the rest of the network.  It must be some other dumb thing ubuntu does on boot.

The icon says it's "ready" but it doesn't print (It's a network printer)
It's not a network printer.  I'm guessing you thought it was one when you configured it, so the config is all messed up.

I installed HPLIP and that found the printer,
HPLIP should be the right driver.  Did you restart CUPS?  Is the configuration correct now?

The printer is actually hooked up to the ubuntu machine, right?  You're not trying to print through samba to a D135 attached to another machine?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 11:15:18 AM »
No, the printer has it's own print server and is connected to a DLink router (ethernet). HPLIP actually discovered it on the network, it acts like it's printing, but nothing. The icons says "Ready" and when printing a test page, the print manage says "printing". It's like it's not actually getting the data to the printer.

I wouldn't have thought that IPv6 would have killed the rest of the network, but when I disconnect the desktop from the network, things started working normally again. I found out how to disable IPv6 through the ubuntu forums and did so. So far, everything has been working normally and the Ubuntu machine is even faster than most windows machines I have when connecting to a web site.

USMILNET

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 12:07:45 PM »
Are you running Dapper (also known as version 6.06), Edgy (6.10) or the new beta Feisty (7.04)?

I'm playing with the beta Feisty right now and it ROCKS.

If there's a graphic or audio codec it doesn't have, the moment you try and use it it tells you what's missing and goes and grabs it.  Biiiig improvement and a first in the Linux world so far as I know Smiley.

As to the printer: I would simplify the problem by direct-connecting the printer to the Ubuntu box and get it working that way FIRST.  Then you know the drivers are working.  Only then would I add the extra network complexity.  Right now you don't know whether the issue is the basic drivers or a network issue and that's way annoying.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 12:20:25 PM »
I installed Edgy (6.10) I'm not so sure about direct connecting the printer to the Ubuntu box. The printer is quite large and upstairs. The Ubuntu box is downstairs on a KVM switch.  Sad Printing is not a priority, but I would like to figure the problem out. I may wait on that and install a different printer.

USMILNET

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 07:53:56 PM »

I'm playing with the beta Feisty right now and it ROCKS.

If there's a graphic or audio codec it doesn't have, the moment you try and use it it tells you what's missing and goes and grabs it.  Biiiig improvement and a first in the Linux world so far as I know Smiley.

Ooh.  I'm thinking I'm gonna have to go play w/ Feisty.  Do you know if they've fixed the problem w/ Wireless Networking and Ubuntu yet?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 10:48:40 PM »
Trust me, they have MASSIVELY improved wireless in Feisty!

I found an old Linksys 11mbs card used for $20 and first tried it in Edgy.  No good.  This is the old Prism3 chipset which is usually no problemo.

In Feisty?  Freakin' EASY.  Well...almost anyhow Smiley.

The basic System-Administration-Network Gnome tool hooked me up to my own WiFi router no sweat because I knew all of it's details (name, encryption type/settings, password, etc.).  The one thing Feisty doesn't have immediately is the ability to scan for other WiFi ports and report whether or not they're open (no password needed).  For that you want to get into Synaptic and look for the WiFi-radar package.  It will be available in Applications>Internet>Wifi-radar.  It can scan for open ports and then you tell the Feisty normal "network" tool to use that open port.  You have to type it in based on what you read on Wifi-radar but other than that ONE tiny "glitch" it freakin' rocks.

There is also a built-in GUI tool for autoconfiguring ndiswrapper if your card isn't yet natively Linux supported.  If you're not aware yet: ndiswrapper is a very specialized Windows software emulator: it takes network-related drivers for Windows and gets them running under Linux.  This is a mediocre option but it does usually work if you don't yet have native Linux support.

Guys: so far in a day's heavy pounding and upgrades and tweaking, Feisty hasn't broke on me yet.  If this is "early beta" the final release is going to kick massive Chuck Norris-level doses of ass Smiley.  I even found (on the Feisty support forum) a version of xorg.conf tuned for my oddball video that's pretty much doubled my video speed, although granted it would probably work just as well with Edgy and maybe even Dapper.  If you have an ATI Radeon 7500 (esp. the "Mobility" laptop variant) see also:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2345281#post2345281

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 03:19:54 AM »
Jim, I may have to switch to Feisty. I don't have anything on that PC yet, except a few bookmarks. All in all, I'm impressed with Edgy. If Feisty is better........... Hmmmmmmmm.

USMILNET

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 04:13:55 AM »
OOOOH!

Thanks Jim.  Now I"m gonna be up late tonight installing Feisty......

grin
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy