Author Topic: Do some small-ish (27HP) engines have pressurized fuel tank?  (Read 533 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Do some small-ish (27HP) engines have pressurized fuel tank?
« on: March 21, 2021, 01:37:33 PM »
...instead of a fuel pump.  And is it pressurized just by the vapor pressure of the gasoline?  (I have a 12" chainsaw like that)

Kubota zero-turn mower.  My brother said he forgot to put the fuel cap on it a few months ago and ran it for just a few minutes like that and the engine started cutting-out.  He figured out the missing cap and put it back on but it died.  Actually, it would have died when he got off the seat and I guess it wouldn't start again.  He pushed it into the garage and there it sat.  Now I'm visiting =)

Once before it wouldn't run and the dealer said the fuel line was clogged up with grass and *expletive deleted*it and they replaced it and charged quite a bit for that; but I might have heard the story wrong.  Anyway, I pulled off off the line between the tank and the fuel filter and blew thru it.  It was fine and I put it back on.  The clear fuel filter was over half full.  Engine still wouldn't start.  Wouldn't even try to start.

I bought some starting fluid and sprayed a little in the air filter housing.  It started right up and ran for half a second and died.  Okay, I know it's a fuel problem.  Check the fuel filter in case the outlet of the gas tank is clogged up.  Fuel filter is full.  Another day or two passes while I work on other things.

Today I looked it over, and I couldn't find anything identifiable as a carburetor, but I didn't see anything that looked like a fuel pump either and the gas line runs uphill.  I made sure the gas cap was tight. (it was)  I took the air filter off and sprayed it really good with starting fluid.  Put it all back together and crossed my fingers and tried starting it.  It started right up.  Ran a little rough for a few seconds but then leveled out.  I revved it up and it kept running.  Put it in gear and it did okay.  Drove it around a bit, then engaged the blades.  Seemed alright, so I mowed for about 10 minutes with it and shut it off.  In about an hour I'll see if it still will start and run, and if it does call it good.

So what really happened?  Pressurized fuel tank is all I can think of.  I also see an evaporative canister like the pollution control stuff on a car, with a fuel line going to it.  Maybe it uses the PCV valve or a little air pump to pressurize the gas tank, and only relies on the vapor pressure to get it started when it hasn't been run in a while?  That's the best theory I have.  I don't have a service manual for it.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Do some small-ish (27HP) engines have pressurized fuel tank?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 10:37:55 PM »
Briggs and Stratton Vanguard Fuel injected?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 11:11:25 PM »
Could have been a minor blockage that you managed to clear out fiddling with it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 11:40:00 PM »
Briggs and Stratton Vanguard Fuel injected?

It might be.  It is a B&S but I don't know what series.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 01:11:31 PM »
Fuel pump might be going out, causing it not to have enough pressure to get the fuel, and then the pressure in the tank makes the fuel come up to the carb/fuel injector
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 06:44:32 PM »
Had a similar problem.  Is there something that looks like this:  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1824/5395/products/80-35-099_1024x1024.jpg?v=1492656920  One of the lines would be coming from the engine, maybe from a rocker cover.

On mine, the brass piece on the back* side had become blocked with dust & grass.  It worked fine after cleaning it with soap & water - let it dry well before using.

* Or front, depending.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 07:20:28 PM »
Forget what I said.  It's already running.

One shouldn't post until completely out from under the effects of anesthesia.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 07:21:53 PM »
Had a similar problem.  Is there something that looks like this:  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1824/5395/products/80-35-099_1024x1024.jpg?v=1492656920  One of the lines would be coming from the engine, maybe from a rocker cover.

On mine, the brass piece on the back* side had become blocked with dust & grass.  It worked fine after cleaning it with soap & water - let it dry well before using.

* Or front, depending.

Yes there is!  I was wondering about that; is it a fuel pump of some sort?  Thanks.  (the problem might come back)
"It's good, though..."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 07:26:59 PM »
Yes, it's a fuel pump.  The way I understand it, crankcase pressure moves a rubber diaphragm to pump the fuel.