Author Topic: Holster questions...  (Read 1030 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Holster questions...
« on: March 30, 2021, 01:02:26 AM »
Has anyone used the Discreet Carry (DCC) Monobloc clip with a double-thickness leather gun belt? Does it fit?

Been shopping IWB kydex holsters, and it's enough to give one the impression that appendix carry is now standard, with the strong-side hip coming in second. Is that true, or is it just that there are huge waves of hippies buying AIWB holsters for the first time, to try it out? Or is it because the people that buy a new holster every week are appendix guys? Or is carrying there such a ticklish business that you have to buy even more holsters than usual, before you can find one that's comfortable?

Thoughts?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Holster questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 08:05:14 AM »
I too, have noticed more appendix carry in gun videos I watch. I don't know if it's the cool kids, or what.

FWIW, I have yet to find a kydex (vs hybrid) holster that is comfortable for me for IWB. I have several, and can tolerate them, but they just come nowhere near leather for long term comfort. Hybrids are a little more tolerable than 100% kydex.

I'm mostly only doing IWB with small guns when I have to be IWB, like going to Costco or similar where "concealed means concealed". Otherwise I'm all OWB. Just a great advantage for me for both comfort, and more importantly, fast firearm access.

EDIT: For clarity, the leather vs kydex comfort issue for me is IWB. For OWB, I'm currently mostly using full kydex, with the exception of the Milt Sparks 55BN that I use for the 1911. There's no doubt (from my experience only) that I can get a faster draw out of the kydex OWB than the leather OWB. The 55BN is really good in that regard for leather, but still not as fast as full kydex.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 08:23:38 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 08:47:52 AM »
Has anyone used the Discreet Carry (DCC) Monobloc clip with a double-thickness leather gun belt? Does it fit?

No idea.  Call 'em and ask?  (really.  Well, email or Book of Faces.  I don't see a contact number.)

Been shopping IWB kydex holsters, and it's enough to give one the impression that appendix carry is now standard, with the strong-side hip coming in second. Is that true, or is it just that there are huge waves of hippies buying AIWB holsters for the first time, to try it out? Or is it because the people that buy a new holster every week are appendix guys? Or is carrying there such a ticklish business that you have to buy even more holsters than usual, before you can find one that's comfortable?

Thoughts?

I know few people in my life that carry, and I don't know how (or what, or how often) any of them do it.  So perception is from what I see "on the innernet".  My impression is, AIWB is the latest cool kid thing in the "silo" of sources we listen to or interact with.

Not for me.  I've got a gut to work around.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 09:56:16 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 10:00:15 AM »
Many of us have a big box of holsters that we’ve tried and lost interest in.  Several in my box are kydex IWB types as they are uncomfortable for me and my less than slim waistline. Same applies for apex carry with my jelly role.

I have no experience with the holster you mention.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 11:47:03 AM »
There's no question AIWB is the new hotness. Or really, the current hotness, as it's not so new, anymore. I just wonder if it's actually surpassed hip carry in actual practice, or just in terms of the custom kydex holster market.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 12:07:19 PM »
Yeah, with my gut, no way AIWB is going to work for me.

I'm not a huge fan of hip carry, but I do it.

I generally pocket carry, but my truly preferred method of carry is a horizontal shoulder holster.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 01:57:33 PM »
There's no question AIWB is the new hotness. Or really, the current hotness, as it's not so new, anymore. I just wonder if it's actually surpassed hip carry in actual practice, or just in terms of the custom kydex holster market.

Personally I'm doubtful that it's surpassed 3 to 5 o'clock carry.  Sales numbers probably wouldn't tell the tale, because the fate of most is the "box of crap holsters".

Speaking of AIWB, have you seen this:  https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop/phlster-enigma/ ?

Many of us have a big box of holsters that we’ve tried and lost interest in.  Several in my box are kydex IWB types as they are uncomfortable for me and my less than slim waistline. Same applies for apex carry with my jelly role.

I have no experience with the holster you mention.

Discreet Carry Concepts is a specialty maker of belt clips, that various holstermakers use.

I wear 44-46 pants, and kydex iwb at 3 o'clock is what I prefer right now, when I'm not pocket carrying.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 03:24:05 PM »
Ben, I thought an all-kydex IWB holster would be uncomfortable, but I think it's really the other way around. A "taco" style holster usually has a smaller footprint on your skin than a hybrid, and is often smoother.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 10:19:11 PM »
Personally I'm doubtful that it's surpassed 3 to 5 o'clock carry.  Sales numbers probably wouldn't tell the tale, because the fate of most is the "box of crap holsters".

I suspect the AIWB predominance is localized to the smaller makers who specialize in kydex. When you combine the big names like DeSantis, Uncle Mike's, etc; the smaller leather or hybrid holster makers; and the discount kydex brands, like CYA or Concealment Express; they're probably servicing more than half of the holster market with non-AIWB stuff.

Speaking of AIWB, have you seen this:  https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop/phlster-enigma/ ?

Looks better than a belly band, but it's apparently an appendix-only set-up. Not a fan of AIWB myself, but at least it's not Urban Carry.  =D

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 11:28:03 AM »
I suspect the AIWB predominance is localized to the smaller makers who specialize in kydex. When you combine the big names like DeSantis, Uncle Mike's, etc; the smaller leather or hybrid holster makers; and the discount kydex brands, like CYA or Concealment Express; they're probably servicing more than half of the holster market with non-AIWB stuff.

You see the big makers advertising some as AIWB.  Whether they really are appropriate for that or not, I don't know.

My "problem" is, my belt rides low, and I like it that way.  Not much body between where the holster would mount, and where I bend.

Looks better than a belly band, but it's apparently an appendix-only set-up. Not a fan of AIWB myself, but at least it's not Urban Carry.  =D

AIWB only.  I follow a Book of Faces group that discusses the rig.  (I was contemplating, and may yet get, one of the manufacturer's "City Special" revolver holsters.)  Lots of tweaking, and they're in perpetual short supply.

The only holster I have (had) compatible with that mounting is one that I sent to you.  I can see a niche for it, but not for me right now.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 01:50:10 PM »
Appendix is the cool kid thing. I find it a little weird how it seems to have migrated over the years from just being in front of the hip around 2 o'clock to being right at 12 o'clock. I feel like it would be way more uncomfortable bending over than even 2 o'clock is.
I feel like most of the holster fads of recent years have been devised by people who spend very little of their day sitting.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2023, 05:27:31 PM »
Has anyone used the Discreet Carry (DCC) Monobloc clip?

I did try one of those clips a year or two ago. It likes to grabs onto cover garments, so I'm afraid I can't use it.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2023, 07:54:53 AM »
A lot of people disagree - some vehemently - about what they call the alleged lack of safety of appendix carry, but I still don't like where the muzzle points.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2023, 10:24:22 AM »
A lot of people disagree - some vehemently - about what they call the alleged lack of safety of appendix carry, but I still don't like where the muzzle points.

At the ground in front of your feet?

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2023, 09:30:10 PM »
I suspect the AIWB predominance is localized to the smaller makers who specialize in kydex.

I'm actually contemplating buying a purpose built AIWB holster for one of my revolvers, the 3" Taurus 856. I've carried it AIWB a bunch with a Galco Stow-n-go leather gun sock thing, enough to think that I can make AIWB work.  The Galco isn't as secure or stable as I'd like.

A DA revolver is the only thing I'd be comfortable carrying that way.  There's a much higher wall to be overcome to ND a revolver.  (Shooting revolver a lot more lately has left me thinking most automatic's triggers are scary light.)

"Urban " -- that's a euphemism for ghetto thug, si?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2023, 12:07:00 AM »
Not sure if you're serious about the Urban Carry comment. That's the holster brand that is the most garbage of all garbage holster brands. And that's mainly because of their forcefully dim-witted and mendacious ads. Yeah, there were never any good holsters until you idiots came along, and made really stupid ads for more stupider holsters.

Sorry, was I ranting a bit?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2023, 06:50:20 PM »
Literally never seen one of their ads.  Are the regional?

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2023, 07:28:59 PM »

Nope.  Based out of Florida.  I'm in IL, PerdH is in MO.

Maybe you don't use web searches to look for holsters.  (My Bookface feed is infested with ads for crap holsters.)

A coworker showed me his Urban Carry once, with an XDS40 in it.  "That's nice."  (Was being polite, as I did not know the guy well.)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2023, 08:11:31 PM »
No I get a lot of ads for crapmholsters to add to the box, I:e just never seen that brand. 

I also thought it was a euphemism for jamming a glock in your sweatpants Plaxico Burris style when he first posted it.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2023, 09:21:23 PM »

I think I've only ever seen those ads on YouTube.