Author Topic: F150s to Come With Built-In Scales  (Read 1711 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
F150s to Come With Built-In Scales
« on: April 29, 2021, 09:13:47 AM »
I don't know how this will work in practice, but in theory I think it's an awesome idea and wish I had a scale in mine.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-f-150-built-in-scales-payload-weight
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: F150s to Come With Built-In Scales
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 10:10:02 AM »
*expletive deleted*it. That is pretty damned cool.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 10:16:50 AM »
Should be easy enough just with some linkage and potentiometer to measure sag.

If it's air suspension it's even easier by measuring pressure. That's how semi trucks do it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 10:55:16 AM »
So, Ford found a way to add another $10k to the price of a 1/2 pickup.  [popcorn]
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 10:58:55 AM »
So, Ford found a way to add another $10k to the price of a 1/2 pickup.  [popcorn]

How DARE you try to put a price on progress! :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 11:02:05 AM »
"License and registration, Mr. Jones?"
"Thank you Mr. Jones."
" Looks like you are running a bit over max weight, Mr. Jones, according to the  scale."
" Just sign this ticket."
 "Or we can impound your vehicle and bring it, at your expense, to our calibrated scale."
 "Thank you ,Mr. Jones."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 11:14:35 AM »

It's certainty a weird market.  When wrestling with the transmission of my F250, I was casually poking around at used trucks to see what's out there.  Yikes, at least around here, a used F250 4x4 is rare and expensive.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 11:27:00 AM »
Be fun to hack the system and have it moo when individuals over a certain weight get in  >:D [popcorn]  :rofl:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 11:27:27 AM »
It's certainty a weird market.  When wrestling with the transmission of my F250, I was casually poking around at used trucks to see what's out there.  Yikes, at least around here, a used F250 4x4 is rare and expensive.

It is, I've narrowed my next vehicle to a couple vehicles and a gas 4x4 F250 is one I am considering. How cow batman they are expensive used. I only drive about 5k a year on my personal vehicle so something with 50k on the clock would rust apart before I wore it out.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 11:28:33 AM »
Should be easy enough just with some linkage and potentiometer to measure sag.

If it's air suspension it's even easier by measuring pressure. That's how semi trucks do it.

Simple load cells on the spring perch or bed mount bushings would work, too.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 11:29:21 AM »
It is, I've narrowed my next vehicle to a couple vehicles and a gas 4x4 F250 is one I am considering. How cow batman they are expensive used. I only drive about 5k a year on my personal vehicle so something with 50k on the clock would rust apart before I wore it out.

What's your budget? I've been helping Dad find a new service rig and might have some leads.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 11:35:47 AM »

Ok Debbie downer.  :P

I was thinking going gasser f250 on the next truck, but not at these prices.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 12:11:50 PM »
Something to do that has been around for a while. Ford probably bought it from them or made their own. Some Keystone 5th wheels also have a built in scale so you can see you total weight and weight distribution.

https://www.curtmfg.com/betterweigh

bob

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 12:13:56 PM »
It would be kinda scary knowing how much I have hauled at times.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 12:25:32 PM »
I wonder how many times I'll be cruising down the interstate and see the blinking fourth LED in the taillights of the truck passing me doing 90?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 12:47:27 PM »
What's your budget? I've been helping Dad find a new service rig and might have some leads.

Brad

I'm probably at least 2 years away, but under $20k. Right now that is a unicorn to find a gas F250 4x4, 4 door, long box, under 50,000 miles for under $20k.

Uranus is a gas giant.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 01:00:42 PM »
There's obviously regional differences, but at least in the southeast, that's not a unicorn, it's a fantasy.  You'd be hard pressed to get an F150 with those specs at that price.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 01:15:12 PM »
It would be kinda scary knowing how much I have hauled at times.

I did a job once where I pulled an old hot water heating system, complete with cast iron radiators and installed forced air.

Had a decent pile of rubble in my pickup bed, but it wasn't heaping out or anything.  I was surprised and a little shocked when I drove on the scale at the metal scrapyard and my truck weighed in over 10k lbs.  Nothing bad happened, but it was not a smart thing to do.

Yea, I was poking at the sub-10k market.  Which almost doesn't exist.  I only paid two grand for my 1999 several years ago, but the body is rough and it had an electrical gremlin.  Plus some damage to the steering column from when it had previously been stolen.  For 2k, I'm willing to deal with those problems.  Still looks rough, but that's fine - this is a work truck.  It doesn't have to be pretty, it has to work.  It's not a car - It only moves when it's moving something.

I will probably have to follow this route for the replacement - find something with a smoked engine or transmission that puts it at a price/effort point I'm willing to pay.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 01:15:20 PM »
There's obviously regional differences, but at least in the southeast, that's not a unicorn, it's a fantasy.  You'd be hard pressed to get an F150 with those specs at that price.

Pre-pandemic in Iowa, that wasn't that hard, 3/4 and 1 ton 4x4 trucks weren't that popular as 1/2 ton, mostly due to the MPG hit and the physical size of them. Since used 1/2 ton 4x4 trucks are hard to find here without a crap ton of miles, people have gravitated to the heavy pickups. Used low mileage 1/2 ton trucks have been hard to find in the upper midwest for quite sometime up until last fall, due to a run of low commodity prices and farmers were hanging onto their trucks. Unless they hauled livestock, they have 1/2 ton trucks.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 01:22:38 PM »
I'm just going to wait until the over extended credit bubble pops and get one on the cheap.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 01:25:48 PM »
I'm just going to wait until the over extended credit bubble pops and get one on the cheap.

I've thought that should an oil price shock occur, one silver lining would be affordable used full size pickups.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 01:44:08 PM »
Ought to put a strain gage in the tailgate so you can track your progress pushing it back to the dealer. I had a 90 F150 when trucks were still trucks. Got 6500 lb of gravel no problem. Wife got gravel when I was deployed and when I got home I rebuilt the transmission.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 01:48:48 PM »
I've thought that should an oil price shock occur, one silver lining would be affordable used full size pickups.

Probably not for a couple of years.

I went out looking for a decently priced used 1 ton recently. They don't exist. I am just going to bulletproof and maybe a few other things on my 08 F350 and call it good. I figure less than 8k into it and it should last until I quit driving rather than be tied to a payment for 6 or 7 years. I have just turned over 146K miles so it still has at least another 100K in it.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2021, 01:50:40 PM »

Be like 2008/2009 all over again. I bought my current truck during that time for $12k, 2002 Nissan Frontier 4d 4x4 with 49,000 miles on it. Even with 140,000 miles, NADA shows retail at $6k for it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2021, 02:48:22 PM »
Six months ago, with rebates and stuff, I could have put myself in a new F150 with the same specs as mine for around $4K over the trade in I could get for mine, except 4x instead of 2x. I was poking around last month, and didn't see any XLTs for under $44K. I haven't even checked since the "microchip shortage" hit.