Author Topic: Turret interior video of 16" naval rifle firing...  (Read 682 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Turret interior video of 16" naval rifle firing...
« on: May 28, 2021, 07:00:42 AM »
Never seen this video before... Never seen the rifles in recoil. REALLY neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTW_xpK-Twc
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Turret interior video of 16" naval rifle firing...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 09:21:52 AM »
I've seen some of those videos listed on YT before but never watched any of them.  Way cool stuff, thanks for posting that.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 09:27:42 AM »
I assuming that air compressor noise was air pumped in to blow fumes out the turret once the breach is open. 

That is a lot of powder being pushed in behind that shell. 

It would be nice to have a turret mounted in my yard, but I probably couldn't afford to hire people to man it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 09:30:15 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEGrj1Vg19U
On a related note, Drachinifel recently interviewed Captain Larry Seaquist who commanded the USS Iowa in the 80's.  He talked at one point about gunnery practice they did.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 09:35:07 AM »
A really cool channel is Battleship New Jersey which is hosted by the curator of the museum he does amazing videos and on lots of interesting topics
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 10:04:07 AM »
Do they make a bump stock for it? Asking for a friend
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 10:58:09 AM »
Do they make a bump stock for it? Asking for a friend
If you can carry it, I am sure someone could make an adapter for you.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 11:21:40 AM »
I assuming that air compressor noise was air pumped in to blow fumes out the turret once the breach is open. 

That is a lot of powder being pushed in behind that shell. 

It would be nice to have a turret mounted in my yard, but I probably couldn't afford to hire people to man it.

Six 105 lb bags.   630 lbs total.   (For the reloaders in the group, that's 4,410,000 grains by weight.   Might need to upgrade your powder scale)

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/09/loading-for-a-16-naval-gun-try-these-really-big-powder-sticks/

interesting article on the powder used.   Each "grain" is 1" diameter and 2 1/4" long.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 11:54:31 AM »
Watching something that massive move that much that quickly is amazing. The forces involved are hard to comprehend.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »
I thought it was amusing that the guy with the blond crewcut didn't have his ear protection on for the first shot, then he put the muffs on for the reloading procedure. Maybe he thought he wasn't in view for the early part of the video.

There was a scene in the Steven Seagal movie Under Siege showing the firing of one of a battleship's main guns. They showed the process of loading and charging the gun. It wasn't quite as automated, IIRC. I think they had to load each bag of powder individually -- and I think they only used three, not six.

I don't remember if they showed loading it in Battleship.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2021, 02:05:58 PM »
"Six 105 lb bags.   630 lbs total."

Slight correction...

Standard for a 16" Mark 6 and 7 naval rifles was 110 pounds per bag, for a 660 pound charge.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2021, 02:16:18 PM »
I was wrong about Under Siege -- part of the sequence was below the turret, in the magazine room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mCAd7giD2o
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 01:11:58 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2021, 03:52:08 PM »
^^^Holy moly, that is quite a piece of engineering.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2021, 07:52:24 PM »
Never seen this video before... Never seen the rifles in recoil. REALLY neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTW_xpK-Twc

And believe it or not but that gun has been miniaturized.  The recoil systems and mountings as originally designed were too large and heavy to fit more than two guns per turret.  They fixed that.  =D

The four recuperators at each corner of the breach box are an amazingly compact design, and the breach itself is its own mechanical marvel.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 04:37:20 PM »
It's always nice to see another thread on those sixteen inchers.  I love browsing those sites. I was amazed at how small the hole in the breech was for the ignition flame.

I think I understood from someone else on this board a while ago, the last time we had a 16" go-around, that on the back half of the powder bags was a layer of a small amount of black powder to get things going.  Anyone else remember that?

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2021, 05:32:55 PM »
And believe it or not but that gun has been miniaturized.  The recoil systems and mountings as originally designed were too large and heavy to fit more than two guns per turret.  They fixed that.  =D

The four recuperators at each corner of the breach box are an amazingly compact design, and the breach itself is its own mechanical marvel.
75 years or so of development by countries around the world.  Ever since the ironclad with the rotating turret was produced, navies have been improving the gun, mounts, and ammunition (and ships).  Not to mention the armor protecting the entire turret. 

It amazing how far technology jumped in such a short time from the 1860's to 1940's.  I saw a picture noting that aircraft went from the Wright Brother's plane to the Moon in less time. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2021, 07:23:03 AM »
The one video linked below was talking about how they assembled the turrets...

This is a turret from the King George class, the last class of British battleships to see action in WW II, being assembled in the factory floor for testing.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2021, 07:29:01 AM »
"I think I understood from someone else on this board a while ago, the last time we had a 16" go-around, that on the back half of the powder bags was a layer of a small amount of black powder to get things going.  Anyone else remember that?"

Yes. I'm probably the one who mentioned that in that thread. IIRC you were asking how the guns were primed for firing.

This site shows some of that information, including a shot showing manufacture of the black powder ignitor components.

http://eerie-indiana.blogspot.com/2014/01/16-naval-gunpowder-bags-as-made-at.html

IIRC that pad held around a pound of black powder, but I may be wrong about the amount.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2021, 07:29:45 AM »
And another picture of a turret being assembled in the factory, this one HMS Vanguard, the last British battleship ever built, and which never saw action.