Author Topic: I Missed the B-17 Again  (Read 1372 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I Missed the B-17 Again
« on: August 11, 2021, 09:06:33 AM »
At least a ride in it, dangit. Sentimental Journey is in the area this week. Last year, I didn't see it the local news until it was already here for a few days, and missed seeing it.

This year, the same thing happened, but it's here for a few more days and I really wanted to splurge for a ride in it. All sold out. I need to link to their website and make a calendar note to try and buy a ticket for next year as early as possible, as they seem to sell out fast. I think a rid would be a total blast.

At any rate, I think I'll at least take the ground tour this year, even if it's gonna be 100 deg out.  =D

https://www.azcaf.org/tour/#tour-map
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: I Missed the B-17 Again
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 01:04:05 PM »
I can assure you that riding in Sentimental Journey is a "total blast".  That comes from someone that used to crew SJ many years ago and rode in her many times.   :cool:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 08:20:56 PM »
Hope you land a set next go.

I THINK we passed that same bird on a charter to the Lake Erie islands a month ago.  Local field had a B17 and a B25 buzzing around,  it was awesome.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 08:14:56 AM »
There was one of those big birds going by at low-ish altitude and apparently low speed.  It seemed to almost float by since it took so long to traverse its own length.  Spooky.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 08:15:56 AM »
I can assure you that riding in Sentimental Journey is a "total blast".  That comes from someone that used to crew SJ many years ago and rode in her many times.   :cool:

That must have been an awesome gig.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 09:00:00 AM »
I saw a football stadium flyover of a B52 once.  It looked huge, seemed nearly as wide as the stadium.  A B17 would be very cool. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 10:09:13 AM »
That must have been an awesome gig.  =)

It was indeed.  If you ever do successfully book a flight on Sentimental Journey, be sure to take good hearing protection along.  That girl is loud inside.
A few of the times that I flew on her it was an impromptu flight, in that I hadn't planned to ride that day.  This happened on test flights, the rare joyride, and at some airshows.  I usually didn't have hearing protection handy on those occasions because of their unplanned nature.  I'm pretty sure those flights contributed some to the hearing loss I have experienced over the years.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 10:26:57 AM »
Not that I can afford a ride on one of those old warbirds but, if I could, after the crash in Hartford and seeing video evidence of the shocking maintenance shortcuts taken with that aircraft -- there ain't no way I'd go up in one.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 01:13:18 PM »
Not that I can afford a ride on one of those old warbirds but, if I could, after the crash in Hartford and seeing video evidence of the shocking maintenance shortcuts taken with that aircraft -- there ain't no way I'd go up in one.

Obviously, The Collings Foundation put monetary concerns over flight safety with Nine-O-Nine, neglecting or postponing critical maintenance.  In my opinion, that was due to a badly defective corporate culture that allowed people with bean counter mentalities to make critical flight safety decisions.

Back when I was with the AZ wing of the CAF, we did not skimp on maintenance, period.  It was such an incredible piece of living history, and we all took our safety responsibilities seriously.  We were extremely careful with the aircraft.  If there was a flight safety-related maintenance issue, the aircraft did not fly until it was corrected.  And after all, none of us wanted to crash and burn, either.

Interesting side note:  One of our members who worked on Sentimental Journey with us was quite expert on the B-17G aircraft.  This was because he was the crew chief on SJ when it was still in the US Army Air Force and being used for photo mapping in the Philippines after WWII.  We were really blessed to have him as he knew that exact aircraft inside and out.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2021, 01:16:47 PM »

Having spent a good number of hours in gov helos, an unmaintained B-17 would be a step up for me.  =D

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 01:30:18 PM »
I used to go up and see the CAF planes at Forbes field every year. My dad volunteered at the combat air museum up there.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2021, 01:43:59 PM »
Having spent a good number of hours in gov helos, an unmaintained B-17 would be a step up for me.  =D

Well, given that a helicopter is trying to intentionally shake itself apart in mid-air constantly I can understand that sentiment. I always dreaded my helo rides, thankfully most were very short after being plucked from the water during water survival training. Nothing like sitting in the rear of a CH46 and watching airframe try to twist!!!

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 03:00:49 PM »
Well, given that a helicopter is trying to intentionally shake itself apart in mid-air constantly I can understand that sentiment. I always dreaded my helo rides, thankfully most were very short after being plucked from the water during water survival training. Nothing like sitting in the rear of a CH46 and watching airframe try to twist!!!

bob

For a while, VAFB's total aircraft consisted of four UH-1s. I got rides in them a few times for various stuff we were doing with VAFB. It was always disconcerting to me that each time, two, if not three of the Hueys was down for one reason or another.  =D

Cool helos though - their sound is kind of like a helo Harley to me.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 03:10:22 PM »
For a while, VAFB's total aircraft consisted of four UH-1s. I got rides in them a few times for various stuff we were doing with VAFB. It was always disconcerting to me that each time, two, if not three of the Hueys was down for one reason or another.  =D

Speaking of Hueys, I got gobsmacked yesterday reading an article. The Marine UH-1Y Venom has four (4!!!) main rotor blades. When did that happen?!?!

https://www.bellflight.com/products/bell-uh-1y

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2021/08/09/marine-helicopters-flex-on-1200-mile-maritime-trip/

bob

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2021, 04:04:36 PM »

USMC CH-53 with a water buffalo (400 gallon potable water tank trailer) sling load.  Transmission chip light goes on over the channel between Maui, Lanai, and Kahoolawe.  Crew chief got down on the deck to look at the sling load through the floor hatch.  He had the "pickle" in his hand and a very worried look on his face.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2021, 05:18:10 PM »
USMC CH-53 with a water buffalo (400 gallon potable water tank trailer) sling load.  Transmission chip light goes on over the channel between Maui, Lanai, and Kahoolawe.  Crew chief got down on the deck to look at the sling load through the floor hatch.  He had the "pickle" in his hand and a very worried look on his face.

In ASTC training, I seem to remember the Sailors and Marines talking about the helicopter of death. Was it the 53 or the 46 (or another one?) that nobody wanted to fly in?

BobR

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2021, 06:51:29 PM »
In ASTC training, I seem to remember the Sailors and Marines talking about the helicopter of death. Was it the 53 or the 46 (or another one?) that nobody wanted to fly in?

CH46, the Phrog. Also know as the Boeing Flying Coffin!

The worst flight I ever did in a helo was when I was at NADC Warminster PA, a little north of Philly. We needed to go to Brunswick, ME for some P3 simulator time and they did not have a P3 to take us. We ended up in a CH53A for a little more than 400 miles. Low, slow, noisy, shaky,  stop for fuel, etc. I wouldn't wish that on anybody except my worst enemies. At least they sent a P3 up to bring us home.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2021, 07:24:03 PM »
Speaking of Hueys, I got gobsmacked yesterday reading an article. The Marine UH-1Y Venom has four (4!!!) main rotor blades. When did that happen?!?!

https://www.bellflight.com/products/bell-uh-1y

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2021/08/09/marine-helicopters-flex-on-1200-mile-maritime-trip/

bob

I had no idea that the U.S. military is still using a version of the Huey I knew in Vietnam.

The basic cabin looks familiar, but they've added fairings above the cabin, I suppose to streamline the airflow around the vertical shaft and rotor hub in search of a bit more speed or range. It must work -- both the top speed and the range are better than the original UH-1.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2021, 07:31:34 PM »
I had no idea that the U.S. military is still using a version of the Huey I knew in Vietnam.

Also still flown as the Bell 212. We had one at our hangar at MacDill. I flew in it once on an emergency response gig in the Florida Keys. AFAIK, it's gone now, its mission replaced by UAS platforms. 212s are still used for various civilian LE and maritime ops though. Also offshore oilfield transport I think.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2021, 07:36:27 PM »
CH46, the Phrog. Also know as the Boeing Flying Coffin!

The worst flight I ever did in a helo was when I was at NADC Warminster PA, a little north of Philly. We needed to go to Brunswick, ME for some P3 simulator time and they did not have a P3 to take us. We ended up in a CH53A for a little more than 400 miles. Low, slow, noisy, shaky,  stop for fuel, etc. I wouldn't wish that on anybody except my worst enemies. At least they sent a P3 up to bring us home.

bob

And Brunswick is no longer a NAS. I can remember when driving up U.S. 1 on my way to Acadia National Park seeing Navy heavies landing at or taking off from Brunswick. The base was deactivated in 2009 and turned over to civilian ownership in 2011. It now operates as a regional executive airport.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2021, 07:46:18 PM »
And Brunswick is no longer a NAS. I can remember when driving up U.S. 1 on my way to Acadia National Park seeing Navy heavies landing at or taking off from Brunswick. The base was deactivated in 2009 and turned over to civilian ownership in 2011. It now operates as a regional executive airport.

It also has a nice little brewery there, Flight Deck Brewing .

A lot of places I used to be stationed at are now gone, of my 9 permanent duty stations only 3 of them still exist as active military bases. Many of the detachment/deployment sites we used are also gone. I was never stationed at NAS Brunswick but went there or through there quite a bit. We would do a couple of lobster runs there every year during lobster season and take them back to California.

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2021, 08:09:45 PM »

The basic cabin looks familiar, but they've added fairings above the cabin, I suppose to streamline the airflow around the vertical shaft and rotor hub in search of a bit more speed or range. It must work -- both the top speed and the range are better than the original UH-1.

It is also twin engine vs the single engine of the Vietnam era hueys.

Like the B-52 and the C-130 the Huey will never die due to its perfection from the beginning.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2021, 08:37:34 PM »

What,  you want to live forever? :P
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2021, 09:18:55 PM »
What,  you want to live forever? :P

There can be only one.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2021, 04:31:32 PM »
I was at Bradley when 909 went down. Missed the crash but saw the blaze. One of our E9s was one of the survivors. Definitely gives me pause.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!