Author Topic: Will Bush's veto hold?  (Read 1138 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Will Bush's veto hold?
« on: March 30, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
Assuming Bush does veto the Surrender and Run Away Act, is there any reason to think it will survive this? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Will Bush's veto hold?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 04:09:16 PM »
Regardless, it's just going to encourage the nutjobs to keep doing what they've been doing. Then in 2008, we leave. Then they get to kill the other half of their country. Or, more likely, they'll gang up on the kurds first, then go after each other later. Then, in the middle of it all, some nutjob is gonna smuggle a nuke into New York, Los Angeles, New Orleans, or another port city, and then we'll surrender.

Oui?

Blog under construction

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 04:10:55 PM »
Passed on party lines in the Senate.  I don't think they have the votes to override.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 04:17:32 PM »
Let me see........Bush.........Veto.
Just doesn't work. Kinda like strawberries and poop.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 04:38:52 PM »
Has he not vetoed before?  Has he not very strongly committed himself to this veto, a veto on HIS issue? 

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 04:41:02 PM »
Has he not vetoed before?

Once.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 05:52:51 PM »
Assuming Bush does veto the Surrender and Run Away Act, is there any reason to think it will survive this? 

First time I've heard it called that, but I must say, it's an apt description.
Andy

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 07:28:52 PM »
The reason congress voted a timeline is because it believes Bush will actually veto the bill.  It is called political theater.  It is how, in this case, democrats pay back their moonbat fringe.  A thoroughly disgusting display of craven cowardice but fairly consistent behavior.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 08:03:15 PM »
on a fringe....

a bunch of my friends (democrats and republicans) and I talked about it. Red Dawn was brought up.

add about 100,000 words....

Long story short, if it come down to it (terrorist invasion) we know what is going to happen and a we know what is to become (and how to react).

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 08:05:37 PM »
The reason congress voted a timeline is because it believes Bush will actually veto the bill.  It is called political theater.  It is how, in this case, democrats pay back their moonbat fringe.  A thoroughly disgusting display of craven cowardice but fairly consistent behavior.

It took me a while, but I had already begun to suspect the same thing. 

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 10:06:54 PM »
It is probably a done deal. Hillary already said on CSPAN that they need more Dem senators before they can stop the war. So, she knows Bush will veto and they need more votes to beat him, so she already blames him pre-emptively to pacify those who put the Dems in power in 2006.

Sadly, it seems for several years we will have a gov that is mentally incapable of standing up to savages and bullies. Maybe it is time for the veterans returning from Iraq in 2008 to start their own political party and clean house.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 08:12:55 AM »

The DhimmiCrats know they can't override the veto.  Thats why the will push the legislation.  They don't WANT to override it, they just want to make a statement.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 10:30:59 AM »
Yep, political theater intended to play to the uber leftists.

Even with the defection of one of my Senators, Jose (I mean Chuck) Hagel it's a dead duck.  I intend to work/contribute against him in the next primary cycle, btw.  My first foray into political activism.

Watch how many nanoseconds it takes the Dems to get in front of the Klieg Lights and howl about partisian politics.  The ink from the veto won't even be dry.  I can just hear Harry Ried and Nancy now.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 04:23:53 PM »
It doesn't matter because the message has already been sent.  The Dems have "done something" about the war.  Yeah, Bush will veto it.  Yeah there is no way they can override this, having had to ante up $2B in bribes to accomplish it.  So what?  At least they aren't doing anything substantive yet.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 08:44:37 PM »
No, they cannot get the votes to override Bush's veto.

This is almost like a perverse flip-side of 1968. LBJ left office, and Nixon rode in, promising "peace with honor."

What "honor?"

Pelosi and Reid are playing the same tune. And, if they have their way, the results will be the same. The Mideast will be worse than when we went in, and our own credibility will be even more eroded than after VietNam.

What's even more unfortunate about all this is that today's events are more political in nature than what happened in 1968 to 1974. Yes, there was an anti-war movement in the late 1960's, but it was much more prominent than what we have now.

To anyone who can read a headline, it should be obvious that Pelosi and Reid are playing games with the war and our troops for partisan gains in the 2008 elections.

Since Pelosi and Reid are so concerned with the welfare of our troops, perhaps they could have the DNC send free bodybags to Iraq, with "Hillary 2008" stamped on them.

If we're going to lose because of politics, let's put the blame where it lies.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 04:12:08 PM »
The DEMS would crap their pants if Bush didn't veto it. The troops would come home, the middle east would go to hell in a hand basket, gas prices would hit $5/gallon and the repugnicans could blame it all on the demonrats.

1994 all over again.

The dems are counting on Bush vetoing their stupidity.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online