Author Topic: Kitchen repairs and remodel  (Read 327 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Kitchen repairs and remodel
« on: August 22, 2021, 09:08:56 PM »
I've wanted to change out our nasty old cast iron sink (I like cast iron sinks but this one is worn out) with a stainless steel sink for a long time, but Wife says if we change the sink we have to change the countertops too, and she'd really like new cabinets, and, and, and.  Complete kitchen remodel.  So it stops there and nothing happens.  While I was in Texas something sprung a slow leak under the sink.  (not slow enough to seal itself from hard water)  I tracked it down to an under-counter water filter, and I took that out today.  Our refrigerator dispenses filtered water so we don't really need one on the sink now. Put a fan blowing in the cabinet to dry everything out and there are still two wet spots.  I crawled in the cabinet with a flashlight and looked up and there's water seeping out of the faucet. Much less than what was dripping from the filter, but still too much to seal itself.  So I should probably replace the faucet.

If I replace the sink and the faucet, and use a self-rimming stainless sink *without* replacing the countertops first, how easy is it to reuse the sink when she picks out the counters she wants?  I think I can stop it at new faucet and sink, new countertops and backsplash, and paint the ceiling.  But I can't really wait for the countertops to make the repair.
"It's good, though..."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Re: Kitchen repairs and remodel
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 07:55:31 AM »
Typical sinks are 22" deep and 33" wide and whatever depth you choose.  Old farmhouse sinks don't typically sit in the same size hole in the countertop.  You need to know what the hole size is to determine if a new countertop is needed.  Pics would help.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Kitchen repairs and remodel
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 09:23:59 AM »
Typical sinks are 22" deep and 33" wide and whatever depth you choose.  Old farmhouse sinks don't typically sit in the same size hole in the countertop.  You need to know what the hole size is to determine if a new countertop is needed.  Pics would help.

New countertop is needed just because She hates these.  There's nothing else wrong with the old ones, they are just 60 year old Formica and kinda worn.  I'm pretty sure I have a standard sink cutout (21x32"?) but I haven't measured it yet.
"It's good, though..."