Author Topic: Tasty oriental delight - Hup Seng Cap Ping Pong sugar crackers/cream crackers  (Read 3142 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Get your mind out of the gutter boys police

A friend of a friend passed away and we inherited a package of these crackers...I'd never heard of them before. They are made in Malaysia, and look like enormous saltines, but have great big crystals of natural sugar on them instead of salt.

Yum. I think I'm going to have to hit one of the asian ethnic food stores up in Dallas and buy a crate or order some on-line. Erica and I pretty much demolished the package today.

One thing I'm curious about, the package is labeled in five languages, and next to the universal style symbol for "please throw your trash in a trash can" is the logo/statement "Clean Country, Healthy Citizens" (in all five languages), I wonder if that is a Malaysian state slogan, or if they are saying that if you dispose of your trash properly you will have a clean country/healthy citizens?

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I worked with a lady from Malayasia and she ate these quite often. I never cared for them very much.

The 5 languages are probably Bahasa Melayu (Malay) English, Cantonese (Mandarin), Hindu, and Tamil or possibly Urdu.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Stand_watie

• friend
I worked with a lady from Malayasia and she ate these quite often. I never cared for them very much.

The 5 languages are probably Bahasa Melayu (Malay) English, Cantonese (Mandarin), Hindu, and Tamil or possibly Urdu.

I'm only dead certain about one of them. The "English" one grin

I'm 99% certain another is Arabic, and 99% that another is French. Another like what I'd expect "Indian" (Hindu?) to look like written out in English characters, another has Chinese derivative characters.

Another interesting item is the plastic bag is VERY sturdy. Almost as thick as the plastic MRE's comes in....hmmmm, maybe this should be in my survival kit laugh
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
How about scanning the language section of the package?

I was thinking more along the lines of internal consumption, but if they're exported widely the languages would be a lot different.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Stand_watie

• friend
How about scanning the language section of the package?

I was thinking more along the lines of internal consumption, but if they're exported widely the languages would be a lot different.

Can do - but don't hold your breath for it, it may be a while. These were imported through Houston, according to a stamp on the package. Also I read somewhere that Saudi-Arabia, Dubai, Yemen etc have huge numbers of Malaysian guest workers, might explain the Arabic connection. The fellow who originally owned this packet o' crackers was Iranian by birth.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"