Author Topic: Engineers Bring 'Invisibility' One Step Closer to Reality  (Read 830 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Engineers Bring 'Invisibility' One Step Closer to Reality
« on: April 02, 2007, 07:46:11 PM »
I just found the physicists being from the UK amusing in light of the Harry Potter "invisibility cloak" thing.

Researchers using nanotechnology have taken a step toward creating an "optical cloaking" device that could render objects invisible by guiding light around anything placed inside this "cloak."
The Purdue University engineers, following mathematical guidelines devised in 2006 by physicists in the United Kingdom, have created a theoretical design that...

http://master.redorbit.com/news/technology/889774/engineers_bring_invisibility_one_step_closer_to_reality/index.html
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Engineers Bring 'Invisibility' One Step Closer to Reality
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 08:30:47 PM »
The military is very interested. One step closer to the therm-optic camo in Ghost in the Shell SAC. Wink

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 09:55:10 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, Masamune Shirow is a prophet.  grin

I've been watching for BLEEX news with great interest. It only takes about two braincells to figure out where thats going.....
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 10:06:08 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, Masamune Shirow is a prophet.  grin

I've been watching for BLEEX news with great interest. It only takes about two braincells to figure out where thats going.....

I'm sure lots of snipers would like his sniper rifles with the satellite downlinks that overlay windspeed data as color pattern overlays in the scope. Or what looks like a liquid-isolation gimbal mount for them.

He comes up with some pretty good ideas.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 10:08:01 AM »
Did not John Cleese have an invisible car in a James Bond movie?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 09:25:55 PM »
Did not John Cleese have an invisible car in a James Bond movie?
Yep.  Cleese made a pretty good 'Q', too.  But not as good as the original 'Q', Desmond Llewelyn, IMHO.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 05:40:41 AM »
A hundred years from now, hunting deer will be done with one of these invisibility suits and a large, invisible knife.