Author Topic: Pleasant surprise  (Read 88 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Pleasant surprise
« on: July 12, 2024, 11:15:26 PM »
Every once in a while, something happens to suggest that doing the right thing or just being nice hasn't completely gone by the wayside. I just had an example of this.

Background: I have a friend who is an IT manager. He has mentioned that he scrounges the electronics CONEX box at the local transfer station, and occasionally pulls SSD drives out of discarded computers. Two weeks ago, I was discarding a used electronic device so I poked through the boxes in the container. I didn't find any likely computer candidates for cannibalizing, but I did find a fairly nice-looking keyboard, which I brought home with me. I am consistently amazed by what people in my town throw away. This keyboard appears to be fully functional; all I could see wrong with it was a missing keycap for one of the two CTRL keys.

The brand is dasKEYBOARD. I had never heard of them but, when I looked them up, I learned that they are up-scale keyboards, selling for $99 to $159. The one I got seems to be a $129 model. I considered checking the dumpster box regularly, hoping to find a replacement keycap from some other keyboard that would fit, but then I decided to see if I could just buy the right keycap as a replacement from the manufacturer, since they are located in Texas, not Taiwan or China. So I contacted them, and with 24 hours I received a courteous e-mail saying that if I would provide a mailing address, they would send me the keycap -- no charge.

DONE! I responded with a mailing address, and the new keycap arrived in the mail on Wednesday.

I would never pay over $100 for a keyboard, but I can see how people who can afford it might do so. The keyboard has tactile ("clicky") mechanical keyswitches, and it's a joy to type on.

My deepest thanks to dasKEYBOARD for being nice folks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • Sooner or later law output will exceed court input
Re: Pleasant surprise
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2024, 02:26:02 PM »
Good story !

I have maybe 8 keyboards I've "used up" over the years .The biggest problem involves the strain relief on the cords.  Easy to fix, therefore I kept them, but I'm too lazy, so there they are stored away.

The Logitech (my favorite brand) lost the left control key, but I subbed one from another board.  I have taped down its cord in such a manner as to not put strain on the strain relief, AKA the "Automatic Random Disconnection Device Intended To Make That Lazy Terry Guy Buy A New Keyboard," AKA the "ARDDITMTLTGBANK."

I'm not partial to cordless peripherals on account of I hate running out of battery just as I am composing something and I hate having to turn them on and off, but I got two cordless mouses about a year ago and it's not that bad. I may end up going with a cordless keyboard when this one autokaputs.

The problem there is I run the same keyboard and printer on two computers with a USB A/B switch between them and I'm not sure how that would work for me cordlessly.

One luxury I wouldn't mind having would be illuminated keys, so maybe next time around.

Good to hear that "customer service" is still a component of at least one company.

Good on you!

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 02:42:07 PM by 230RN »
Sooner or later, law output will become greater than Court input.

JTHunter

• friends
Re: Pleasant surprise
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2024, 03:40:50 PM »
Nothing wrong with scrounging.  That's how I got my first computer, an old Zeos 486 Legacy.
It was a "dumb" terminal my employer was throwing away in the mid-90s.  It had no HD and only 4 - 30 pin SIMMS (256K ea.) for 1 mb RAM.  The computer shop across the street put in a HD, swapped out the 25 mHz CPU and put in 33 mHz with a "doubler" so it ran at 66 mHz and added 4 more SIMMS to give me 5 megs of RAM.  The OS they put in was 3.1 and it worked for me.
A year later, they were throwing away more gear and I found another Zeos that had 4 SIMMS that were a meg each.  That allowed me to upgrade my RAM to 20 megs which did help.  As this computer wasn't internet capable, I downloaded software (mostly games) from a local internet cafe.  In the summer of '98, I bought a Win. 98 machine but it died recently, telling me there was no OS but it also said something about the CMOS failing, possibly because the button cell battery has likely gone dead.
While I still have that computer, I haven't used it in about 10 years, so I don't even know if it still works.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”