Author Topic: Does anyone use the Brave browser?  (Read 1321 times)

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • We NEED a President with his good luck!
Re: Does anyone use the Brave browser?
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2024, 12:40:26 PM »
I've been viewing YT with Brave for quite a while.  However, the end-of-video ads just started showing up again a few days ago.  Looks like the YT vs. Brave ad blocker battle is still going on.

That's why I whined about it here.  I was wondering if I should update my Brave.  I'm always reluctant to update systems since it looks like whenever I do the "improvements" or "fixes" always seem to screw up other stuff.  But Brave seems to have some savvy developers who don't sit around saying "Ooo, ooo, wouldn't it be nice if we..."

I'm still pissed at whoever decided to have their software "guess" at what I intended to highlight for copying or deleting or whatever.  Dammit, highlight stuff for me between this click and that click and no more nor any less.

Terry
Sooner or later, law output will become greater than Court input.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2024, 09:15:37 AM »
Been seeing posts saying YT is targeting Firefox in particular in this meanwhile chrome based browsers aren't seeing the same problem or nearly as bad of a problem.
using in FF the same ad blocker Brave has built in I may be ready to believe that.
Brave is Chrome based. Chrome --> Google --> Youtube.

Firefox has announced they now have a fix that will be pushed out soon and pretty much said Google was at fault but won't say if it was deliberate.
Remember Firefox is the last major non-Chrome based browsers out there so  [tinfoil]

Mozilla Has Finally Found a Fix for YouTube Playback Issues in Firefox - Says Google is to Blame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0-rSj6ImhI
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 09:46:07 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2024, 09:35:03 AM »
And from the same guy just two days ago
If you are using any chrome (Google) based browser, which includes Brave, Chrome 127 will disable Manifest V2 Extensions, including uBlock Origin so no more 3rd party ad blockers. Built in ad-blockers are still okay though... for the moment.
Result will be Firefox will be pretty much the only browser supporting 3rd party blockers

[tinfoil] moment
I'm thinking maybe those Chrome based built in blockers will suddenly stop working in YT which is also Google

Google is Disabling Manifest V2 Extensions, but Adblockers Will Still Work in Mozilla Firefox!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdHC6F83CuQ
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2024, 10:09:06 AM »
Firefox has announced they now have a fix that will be pushed out soon and pretty much said Google was at fault but won't say if it was deliberate.
Remember Firefox is the last major non-Chrome based browsers out there so  [tinfoil]

Mozilla Has Finally Found a Fix for YouTube Playback Issues in Firefox - Says Google is to Blame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0-rSj6ImhI

127.0.2 with this fix popped out this morning

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2024, 04:18:53 PM »
So far so good with the fix. Haven't had any of the problems I was having with YT in FF
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2024, 09:36:57 AM »
And just like that back to the same buffering problems in FF again but not in Brave (Chrome)
Can't tell me Google/YT isn't messing with Firefox

Edit: Or maybe not. Think YT was having issues.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 04:56:27 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2024, 09:51:31 AM »
Something interesting that has been happening to me in Brave for I guess the last couple of months (with the preface that I never see ads when I click on a video in brave):

In the morning, I usually go to my youtube main page and browse for any interesting recommendations. I generally end up picking 4-5 videos that I open in new tabs to watch later in the day. When I go to them later in the day, they run for like the first five seconds, then they reload and now have an ad for me to sit through. However, if I then immediately reload the page again, I'm back to ad free.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2024, 09:52:51 AM »
Something interesting that has been happening to me in Brave for I guess the last couple of months (with the preface that I never see ads when I click on a video in brave):

In the morning, I usually go to my youtube main page and browse for any interesting recommendations. I generally end up picking 4-5 videos that I open in new tabs to watch later in the day. When I go to them later in the day, they run for like the first five seconds, then they reload and now have an ad for me to sit through. However, if I then immediately reload the page again, I'm back to ad free.

On my end of things Brave wise I think Brave may have put out a buggy update. Just had all my saved sites in Brave disappear on two computers
- Calvin and Hobbes