Author Topic: Oil (as in for your car) Price  (Read 396 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Oil (as in for your car) Price
« on: November 10, 2021, 04:28:48 PM »
Holy crap. I only need to change the truck oil about once a year, so really don't keep tabs on price. I was just getting started with an oil change when I realized I only had half a 5 quart jug of 5-30 in the shop.

I was gonna just run to the little NAPA store in town, but they want $45 for 5 quarts of Mobil One. I generally buy the Kirkland full synthetic and I just checked the website and it's going for $35 for TEN quarts.  The Mobil One at Costco is $42 for 6 quarts.

I closed the hood on the truck and will change the oil tomorrow, after I make a Costco run (was going there anyway) for the Kirkland oil.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Oil (as in for your car) Price
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 04:50:02 PM »
What do you do with the old oil?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 04:59:32 PM »
What do you do with the old oil?

Household hazardous waste. The county has a free drop off around four times a year.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 05:26:42 PM »
I have a 30 gal barrel in the barn for waste oil. A car dealer comes and picks it up when I call him and drops off an empty. He heats his shop with waste oil. I dump hydraulic fluid, brake fluid, motor oil etc in it.
I got a shock when I bought hydraulic fluid for the tractor. Filters and fluid were $400.
I use synthetic motor oil in our road vehicles. The Kirkland oil is as good as any. I buy Napa gold filters or wix (same thing).
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 06:06:04 PM »
I ran Mobil One until sometime in early 2000's when they had a big price jump. They didn't have a Kirkland brand at that point around here so I went to Walmart and got their brand. I still run it. I just picked up 11 quarts this week. I do go with the Wix made Napa filters.

I have nothing with less than 250K on them and no problems. I've even seen the inside of one with almost 250K on it that lost an injector on a very cold day and burned a piston. I replaced a piston, two exhast valves and rings. The rest of the engine looked perfect. I was already a believer but that sealed the deal.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 06:15:20 PM »
The Walmart brand is decent oil and like $19 for five quarts even full synthetic
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 06:16:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm actually not a big Mobil One fan anymore, at least their "standard" stuff. I used to use it exclusively, but I think there are better alternatives out there now, especially for turborcharged stuff like my Ecoboost. And for the price, the Kirkland is absolutely great oil.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 06:36:57 PM »
As long as it is API certified, you should be happy. The important thing is having the right amount of the right viscosity stuff.

I see people pass on buying oil (when they NEED it), because "I only put the $14/quart stuff in my SuperHooptie car." Well, I don't see that car around now...

Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 06:46:27 PM »
The Walmart brand is decent oil and like $19 for five quarts even full synthetic

What I use, close to 150k on my truck.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 08:47:31 PM »
Yikes, Costco and Walmart oil?  Not sure I’d ever use that in any of mine…..lol

I’m a Castrol fan.  Have been all my life.  I also use Sea Foam in my engines the last 100 miles before oil change. 

I’m sure the Costco and Walmart brands are ok but it just feels too risky for me.  Others apparently do t feel the same. 

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 09:12:53 PM »
I trust the API ratings.  Lately I goto Walmart for my oil changes because I bought my tires there and get a free tire rotation.  $23 for an oil change and they don't try to upsell me.  (It used to be $19)  I think it's Quaker State bulk oil. 
"It's good, though..."