Author Topic: Dog-proof trash cans?  (Read 765 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Dog-proof trash cans?
« on: January 02, 2022, 10:58:12 PM »
How do you keep your dog out of the trash? I'm thinking about getting one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YSXLV7B/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_PENDQHQWPG5Y6Q04N96C?psc=1
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 11:25:51 PM by Perd Hapley »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Dog-proof trash cans?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 11:51:34 PM »
We mostly try to take it out before we leave them unsupervised (away from home or asleep overnight) or put it in the pantry or somewhere they can’t access if it’s not full enough to justify taking out.
Formerly sumpnz

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 06:53:07 AM »
I'm fortunate in that Seren never really seemed to want to go digging through the kitchen trash.

The bathroom trash if there were tissues in it? She loves shredding tissues.

One of the things that I've always done to keep dogs out of the kitchen trash, though, is that I never put wet, smelly stuff in the trash. Anything like that goes into a container in either the refrigerator or the freezer, and it only goes in the trash on trash day right before I take the bags out.

It helps that I have twice a week trash collection at my house.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 07:55:53 AM »
I have one of those yuppie kitchen trash cans with the motion detection lid. As long as the lid is closed, Steve generally stays away from it. If I lock it open while I'm doing some cleanup, he sometimes tries to stick his nose in, but has never tried to knock it over. I think the motion detection lid has acted as a deterrent because I have seen him sniffing around it, activating the lid. That seems to startle him and he takes off whenever it happens.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 08:55:18 AM »
We have had a dozen dogs over the years and only one ever bothered the trash.  Huskies love nosing through trash apparently.  If the others bothered the trash they were shamed out of doing it again.  Training is better than a fancy trash can.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 09:07:47 AM »
No help here, sorry.
We only ever had one dog that would occasionally take a single tissue or paper towel from the trash and the shred it into little bits if she was alone and feeling anxious.
I wonder if a dusting of cayenne would help correct any training issues?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 09:10:40 AM »
Training is better than a fancy trash can.

I didn't tell anyone to buy a fancy trash can. I just said that my dog is afraid of mine.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 10:08:58 AM »
I just keep my trash in a pull out that's in a cabinet.  Cabinet door closed keeps the curious noses out.  They will come sniff it if I have it open to clean stuff out or when cooking and throwing a bunch of stuff away, but a verbal "get out of there" suffices.

Pet lock is nice, but I'm not sure I could stomach $85 for a garbage can.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 10:47:31 AM »
We have two Simplehuman 13 gallon trash rectangular step cans.  One is for trash and the other for recycle.  The resident dog and visiting dogs have not figured out how to open it by stepping on the foot pedal.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 10:59:01 AM »
We have two Simplehuman 13 gallon trash rectangular step cans.  One is for trash and the other for recycle.  The resident dog and visiting dogs have not figured out how to open it by stepping on the foot pedal.
Our daughter's yellow lab has it figured out. They were experiencing some trash can mischief they couldn't explain until the grandaughter caught him in the act of putting a paw on the foot pedal and then sticking his head in the garbage buffet.
We hope he doesn't do a youtube video that would teach other dogs how to do it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 06:32:33 PM »
No dogs now but mine was pretty well trained. That said if you leave meat wrappers in there and wake up to a disaster don't yell at the dog for your failings. Best cure for me was I have a very sensitive nose, food wrappers usually go up to the dumpster right when dinner is done or even still cooking. I cannot stand the smell of a trash can. My house may be a wreck but no trash sits around.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 07:02:18 PM »
No dogs now but mine was pretty well trained. That said if you leave meat wrappers in there and wake up to a disaster don't yell at the dog for your failings. Best cure for me was I have a very sensitive nose, food wrappers usually go up to the dumpster right when dinner is done or even still cooking. I cannot stand the smell of a trash can. My house may be a wreck but no trash sits around.

That is another good tip. I drive to my trash can once a day with the bag from the kitchen can. Same as you, both because its less temptation for the dawg and I don't like food scrap smells in the house, even with my post-covid nose.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 10:40:13 PM »
I just keep my trash in a pull out that's in a cabinet.  Cabinet door closed keeps the curious noses out. 

I used to have that set-up, and maybe this is pathetic, but I absolutely loved it. I thought that was not an option in my present situation, but now that you mention it...

I may end up finding a way to go back to that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 03:40:30 PM »
A question for you doggie types... My next door neighbor's pits go absolutely bonkers whenever they hear a siren (often). Do your dogs do that?
Blog under construction

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 04:07:59 PM »
A question for you doggie types... My next door neighbor's pits go absolutely bonkers whenever they hear a siren (often). Do your dogs do that?

Kenai (almost 3 year old GSD) will occasionally howl if he hear a siren.  Tundra (14 week old GSD) is still too young to tell if/how she’ll react.  Previous GSD-mixes would occasionally howl at a siren.  But none would go “bonkers” over a siren.
Formerly sumpnz

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 04:48:08 PM »

Our previous dog liked to howl along with sirens. She didn't go bonkers though. She only went bonkers over reflections.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2022, 04:50:40 PM »
Steve rarely howls to sirens. Always howls along with the coyotes. Romy also rarely howled. My previous dog, Tara, would always howl at sirens. Or else I could just start howling and she'd do it too. That dog loved to howl.  =)

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2022, 05:00:43 PM »
Barking, howling, bouncing, snapping, thus far I have avoided being in the back yard during a session... They're big enough to get over the fence, so I usually am armed if I am in the back yard.
Blog under construction

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2022, 06:56:15 PM »
I came home once and found the kitchen trash can on the kitchen counter. That was Dad's simple solution to keep Larabee out of it (The counter is *just* high enough that Larabee considers it off limits)

Depends on the dog. Some don't care about trash, some only care if there is something worth their while and others just can't be trusted. Larabee is mostly in the second category if a human is in the building but in the third if left to his own devices for any length of time.

And Bogie, the sirens might be setting the dog off it's it's prone to seizures.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2022, 07:18:04 PM »
Two dogs, sometimes three. VERY territorial...
Blog under construction