Author Topic: Intellectual Pursuit  (Read 674 times)

BakerMikeRomeo

Intellectual Pursuit
« on: April 04, 2007, 04:42:31 PM »
Hey everybody,

On some thread somewhere, either here, on THR, or on ARFCOM, I remember that someone said (I'm paraphrasing) "History is about more than being able to answer questions at Trivial Pursuit."

This gave me a cool idea, because in my family, Trivial Pursuit is how we roll. Commence for to be checking this out, y'all:

How about a higher-brow version of Trivial Pursuit where, instead of giving merely "trivia" answers to questions, the questions are more open-ended and deeper?

Categories could include History, Science & Mathematics, Philosophy, etc., and instead of just asking names of things, the "questions" would ask for causes, explanations, backgrounds, etc., and instead of the answer being just printed on the back of the card (though _something_ would have to be back there), the other players would decide if the answerer gave an adequate answer by a vote, or something.

I'd call it, like the thread title says: "Intellectual Pursuit"

What d'y'all think?

~GnSx

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: Intellectual Pursuit
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:45:38 PM »
Sounds like the Monty Python skit in the restaurant.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 04:58:45 PM »

I googled, and found a website that had an index of Monty Python sketches, and I read the three with "Restaurant" in the name, but I still don't get it.

The Rabbi! *grab* Help me help MYSELF!

~GnSx

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 05:06:53 PM »
I already play that game. I know I've won when I get eyerolls and groans from my family. Everybody wishes whoever asked hadn't.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 05:12:43 PM »

Being true to my ethnic roots...

spam spam Spam Spam SPam SPam SPAM SPAM!!!

Actually it sounds like fun.  The only trouble I can is that some of the question might be rather specialized in nature, requiring the answerer to do a bit of research.  But hey, it IS Intellectual Pursuit.

OK, I'll start.

Category: Science - Molecular Biology

Why is the lac operon a usefull tool in industrial genetic engineering?  No cut and paste answers please.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 05:36:45 PM »

Category: Science - Molecular Biology

Why is the lac operon a usefull tool in industrial genetic engineering?  No cut and paste answers please.
It keeps you from spilling the lac all over the front of your shirt and pants when it spills.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G