Author Topic: Quantum Leap reboot in the works  (Read 1379 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Quantum Leap reboot in the works
« on: January 26, 2022, 04:26:46 PM »
NBC orders pilot of Quantum Leap reboot.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/quantum-leap-reboot-nbc-pilot-order-sequel-scott-bakula-steven-lilien-and-bryan-wynbrandt-1234912430/

Supposedly, it's the same series universe set in current day.

Seems Scott Bakula and the original creator, Donald P. Bellisario, are on board, too. Narrator belabors the whole story but he finally gets to the meat of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smpn_5KTzRI

Too bad we lost Dean Stockwell and Dennis Wolfberg. That would have been straight up awesome sauce.

Ohhhh boy....

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Quantum Leap reboot in the works
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 05:16:10 PM »
Sounds like a great vehicle for preaching to the non-believers about the "realities" of being trapped in a body of the wrong gender. Or the crushing white supremacy a white time traveler would experience in a body "of color." Or the privilege she'll experience, if it's a black woman time-traveling in a white man's body. And so on...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 06:01:36 PM »
Sounds like a great vehicle for preaching to the non-believers about the "realities" of being trapped in a body of the wrong gender. Or the crushing white supremacy a white time traveler would experience in a body "of color." Or the privilege she'll experience, if it's a black woman time-traveling in a white man's body. And so on...
I was thinking more or less the same thing, they'll make this a "woke" show. If it were on "The CW" - aka The Gay Network - that would be a foregone conclusion, but maybe, just maybe, they won't ruin it on NBC. (I'm not taking bets, though.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 06:26:10 PM »

They already did that in the original series
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 12:47:21 AM »
They already did that in the original series

I know, but - you ain't seen nothin' yet...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 09:11:26 AM »
I know, but - you ain't seen nothin' yet...

I would agree with that.  The current writers in Hollywood don't do subtlety well at all. 

I have heard talk lately that writing rules have been leaked.  No movie or show will be funded unless certain woke ideas and features are complied with in the story.  I can't find a link right now. 

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:06:52 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 09:35:42 AM »
I would agree with that.  The current writers in Hollywood don't do subtlety well at all. 

I have talk lately that writing rules have been leaked.  No movie or show will be funded unless certain woke ideas and features are complied with in the story.  I can't find a link right now.
I've read that for movies, diversity quotas have been established - unless each function from onscreen "talent" down to the grips complies with racial, ethnic, homosexual, and other sub-group targets, the movie won't be eligible for an Oscar. (Although considering the mostly cr@pola movies that have been getting nominated, that seems pretty irrelevant.)

I find it easy to believe that similar diversity/wokeness quotas will infect television as well. (Scratch "will infect" - a few moments of reflection tell me TV has already been infected, on everything from news and entertainment to commercials.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 09:40:15 AM »
1st episode: A time/body jumping white male permanently leaps into his true self, a black female.
2nd episode: Our heroic time jumper leaps to 2016 to prevent the election of Trump.
3rd episode: She leaps to 2020 and is attacked by a foaming at the mouth Rittenhouse hell bent on killing minorities. How will our hero survive?
4th episode: Leaps to 2001 to prove how racist republican white males framed innocent freedom loving Muslims for 9-11.
5th episode: Can she prevent the brutal hunting down and murder of Travon Martin by a White Hispanic supremist?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 10:03:15 AM »
1st episode: A time/body jumping white male permanently leaps into his true self, a black, transgender female.
2nd episode: Our heroic time jumper leaps to 2016 to prevent the election of TrumpHitler II.
3rd episode: She leaps to 2020 and is attacked by a foaming at the mouth Rittenhouse hell bent on killing minorities. How will our hero survive?
4th episode: Leaps to 2001 to prove how racist republican white males framed innocent freedom loving Muslims for 9-11.
5th episode: Can she prevent the brutal hunting down and murder of Travon Martin by a White Hispanic supremist?

FTFY
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 11:05:48 AM »
Episode 6: Our hero leaps to the dark ages (Before Facebook) when people thought men have penises and women have vaginas. Can our hero give these poor ignorant people the enlightenment of settled science? Will she find a WiFi signal? Will she find a McDonald's that takes EBT?
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 11:11:03 AM »
I've read that for movies, diversity quotas have been established - unless each function from onscreen "talent" down to the grips complies with racial, ethnic, homosexual, and other sub-group targets, the movie won't be eligible for an Oscar. (Although considering the mostly cr@pola movies that have been getting nominated, that seems pretty irrelevant.)

I find it easy to believe that similar diversity/wokeness quotas will infect television as well. (Scratch "will infect" - a few moments of reflection tell me TV has already been infected, on everything from news and entertainment to commercials.)
What I heard was behavioral as well as diversity.  If you look at recent movies/TV, you almost never see a man fighting or defeating a woman.  It is almost always female character opposing the bad woman.  White males are typically not the heroes or when they are they will be flawed and a woman will take the lead.  All the trends you notice in Disney Star Wars and Marvel shows are mostly mandated rules.  That is what I heard.  I don't know if it was Disney doing it separately or something wider. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 11:46:31 AM »
What I heard was behavioral as well as diversity.  If you look at recent movies/TV, you almost never see a man fighting or defeating a woman.  It is almost always female character opposing the bad woman.  White males are typically not the heroes or when they are they will be flawed and a woman will take the lead.  All the trends you notice in Disney Star Wars and Marvel shows are mostly mandated rules.  That is what I heard.  I don't know if it was Disney doing it separately or something wider.
I can't say you're wrong.  ;)

I've also noticed that even when the heroes and villains both have guns or other weapons, all too often the "fights" become heavily choreographed (and ridiculously phony) martial arts displays. I saw an episode of Green Arrow where multiple bad guys were blazing away at the hero with machine guns, and he - with no actual super powers - essentially dodged the hail of bullets and punched out the bad guys. (He had to do it over and over, since they wouldn't stay down. LOL)   

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 11:53:41 AM »
We all of course realize that 'rules' for how a movie/TV show should be written have existed since the start of those mediums. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 12:41:27 PM »
We all of course realize that 'rules' for how a movie/TV show should be written have existed since the start of those mediums.
I am sure you are correct, but it has gotten beyond the point where the rules get in the way of writing a good story. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 07:20:44 PM »

And?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2022, 09:42:14 AM »
Straight white males need not apply for parts. Like at all. Stay away, we don't want you.

From Feb

NBC want actors of AAPI (Asian Americans or Pacific Islanders) or MENA (Middle East and North Africa) descent, to play the new hero, Dr Ben Prassad.

Al is also scrapped. In his place, we get Herbert “Magic” Williams, a Vietnam vet and current head of the time travel project. The casting calls for a black man in his 60s.

For the role of the architect of the AI programme, they are asking to see non-binary actors.

The head of security at this top-secret time travelling programme will be a woman called Jenn, while there is a role for “a fearless ex-military operative” called Addison, for which they are seeking women of color.

The guest star role of Naomi asks for an open-ethnicity woman in her 30s.

QUANTUM LEAP Casting Call
https://www.lastmovieoutpost.com/quantum-leap-casting-call/

Fast forward to today
Here they are

'Quantum Leap' Shows Off Diverse Non-Binary Cast
https://cosmicbook.news/quantum-leap-diverse-non-binary-cast

Detailed video break down of where it's at now.

Quantum Q***f: First Image of WOKE REBOOT Drops!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Jzj7SQxSg
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2022, 10:04:51 AM »
Quantum Q***f: First Image of WOKE REBOOT Drops!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Jzj7SQxSg

Well, at least Ernie Hudson is still working. Wish he'd picked a different project but I guess you take what you can get if you're a character player in the movie/TV industry.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2022, 10:31:32 AM »
Well, at least Ernie Hudson is still working. Wish he'd picked a different project but I guess you take what you can get if you're a character player in the movie/TV industry.

Brad

I like Ernie. He always managers to add something to otherwise small characters.
Honestly wished he had said no but I guess a pay check is a pay check when most of your roles are usually bit parts.
Although I have a feeling the pay checks aren't going to be coming in for long with this one.
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2022, 10:51:59 AM »
In the current market, I expect that it will involve the main character being involved in romantic relationships critical to the "correct" passage of time and compelled to engage in intercourse.  Straight, gay, male, female, whatever.  A perfect vehicle for "suck the dick, bigot!"
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2022, 11:02:45 AM »
In the current market, I expect that it will involve the main character being involved in romantic relationships critical to the "correct" passage of time and compelled to engage in intercourse.  Straight, gay, male, female, whatever.  A perfect vehicle for "suck the dick, bigot!"
I was thinking more about being preachy about race and LGBTQ+&JRFIUGLKJHL:K:LHN to people from decades or centuries in the past.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2022, 11:59:37 AM »
. . . Although I have a feeling the pay checks aren't going to be coming in for long with this one.
Might surprise you - crappy ratings aren't necessarily a path to cancellation. I remember back in the early '80s NBC cancelled "Brett Maverick" in which James Garner starred in a reprise of his role in the old "Maverick" series. Ratings were pretty good and at the time of cancellation, I remember reading that advertising was sold out 6 months in advance. And AT THE SAME TIME, NBC renewed (for another year) "Love, Sydney" in which Tony Randall played a gay guy. Ratings were pretty bad, but, hey, the star character was a gay guy.

And . . . consider the ratings of some of the "talent" on CNN/MSDNC that remains on the air.  :facepalm:

My guess? I'll tune in to the premier. I don't mind if the stars are men, women, white, black, yellow, green, or whatever if the show is well written. Even if it leans left (e.g., The West Wing and the first several years of M*A*S*H) I'll watch it if the story and characters are engaging. On the other hand, if it's as bad and heavy-handedly woke as I suspect it may be, I probably won't last to the end of the first episode.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2022, 01:27:02 PM »
I've been watching the "new" X-files seasons 10-11 made a few years ago.

They infested it with woke crap...  ;/

It is just as well it died again.