Author Topic: I NEED ANOTHER PENIS-SHAPED ROCKET! or how Amazon...  (Read 1689 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I NEED ANOTHER PENIS-SHAPED ROCKET! or how Amazon...
« on: February 04, 2022, 07:50:36 AM »
is increasing your Prime membership price from $119 to $139 a year starting in March.

https://www.cnbc.com/select/amazon-prime-membership-price-increase-how-to-lock-lower-rate/

It's still worth it to me, but it's coming very close to the break point.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: I NEED ANOTHER PENIS-SHAPED ROCKET! or how Amazon...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 07:55:51 AM »

I was thinking the same thing. Up till now, I haven't cared about the price increases. This latest one though, is the first one where I'm looking at doing the math on how much I save on shipping versus the membership cost. I've additionally been continually frustrated with Amazon Music, where they seem to be sabotaging the Prime level to move you to the add-on cost of Amazon Unlimited.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 08:08:03 AM »
"I've additionally been continually frustrated with Amazon Music, where they seem to be sabotaging the Prime level to move you to the add-on cost of Amazon Unlimited."

Same thing with Prime Video.

Want to watch a show? Well, now you need prime AND this separate subscription!

Want to watch season 1 of a long running series?

Prime + Plan A.

Season 2 and 3?

Prime + Plan B

And so forth and so on.

Friend of mine claims that there are over 70 sub-subscription levels in Amazon prime video now and the price would be thousands if you signed up for them all.

All because the giant dick wants to take another ride to space on a giant dick.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 08:13:04 AM »
You think producing Hollywood level CGI videos portraying Blue Origin as the most productive space flight company and Bezos as the greatest space visionary in history is cheap? And don't get me started on mega yacht and support yacht maintenance. Those yacht parties don't pay for themselves.

Speaking of Jeff's  yacht. This just popped up this morning

Dutch to dismantle historic bridge to accommodate Jeff Bezos' yacht
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeff-bezos-yacht-rotterdam-koninginnebrug-bridge-netherlands/

Oceano will pay for the cost of dismantling operation, according to van Heijst. The shipbuilder did not immediately reply to a request for comment from CBS MoneyWatch. It's unclear if Bezos, who is worth roughly $176 billion, will pay for any of the disassembly cost.

Some locals opposed making the concession to one of the richest people on the planet. Protesters have even organized an event on Facebook at which they will gather to throw eggs at Bezos' yacht when it is scheduled to pass under the bridge in June.

"Rotterdam was built from the rubble by the people of Rotterdam, and we don't just take that apart for the phallic symbol of a megalomaniac billionaire. Not without a fight!!" event organizers wrote on Facebook.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 08:21:25 AM »
Friend of mine claims that there are over 70 sub-subscription levels in Amazon prime video now and the price would be thousands if you signed up for them all.

I agree this is additionally frustrating, and I don't doubt the number in your friend's count. It seems like I spend half my time clicking on something I want to watch that appears to be "Prime", but then either requires the separate subscription or else is filled with commercials every ten minutes. It's like they're trying to be a cable company.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 08:24:26 AM »
I agree this is additionally frustrating, and I don't doubt the number in your friend's count. It seems like I spend half my time clicking on something I want to watch that appears to be "Prime", but then either requires the separate subscription or else is filled with commercials every ten minutes. It's like they're trying to be a cable company.

Online gaming model of ratcheting up the bill.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 09:32:45 AM »
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeff-bezos-yacht-rotterdam-koninginnebrug-bridge-netherlands/

This is supposed to be the premier shipbuilder of the region. They had to have known of the bridge problem when the first design dropped for his yacht.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 09:35:39 AM »
Would be funny if the shipbuilder didn't put any restrooms on the yacht  :rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 09:35:54 AM »
For what it's worth, Amazon is terrible without prime.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 09:37:44 AM »
is increasing your Prime membership price from $119 to $139 a year starting in March.

https://www.cnbc.com/select/amazon-prime-membership-price-increase-how-to-lock-lower-rate/

SWMBO and I noticed this, too.  We're going to be rethinking our membership.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 09:44:07 AM »
Does Walmart have a free shipping membership? I know they'll ship free to store.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 09:55:04 AM »
Does Walmart have a free shipping membership? I know they'll ship free to store.

We get free delivery of groceries and goods from Walmart for $99 a year.  It also includes free delivery from their online store, gas discounts and pharmacy discounts, scan-and-go shopping, and some other stuff.
This was a real lifesaver for my wife while she was living with her father, taking care of him with his Alzheimer's.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 09:56:55 AM »

Yes. Walmart+

Free shipping, no minimum delivery, free grocery delivery from your local Wallymart, reduced prescription prices, and a bunch of other benefits.

Annual Walmart+ is $98 a year.

I'm serious considering flipping over.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2022, 10:00:11 AM »

I'm beginning to agree with this. The way Amazon has gone with third party sellers, counterfeit goods, fake reviews, etc., the only benefit without Prime is that there's a bunch of stuff in one place, which is in fact, pretty convenient. They are moving though, to that tipping point where it's goin to be worth it for people to just research separate sellers and order stuff from multiple sources.

For me, it used to be that if it was on the Amazon site, it was likely a good buy. Then it was, if it was sold and shipped by Amazon, it was likely what I ordered, and not a counterfeit. Now it's even a crapshoot on "sold and shipped by Amazon". Also, and we've talked about this here before, a lot of Prime shipping qualified stuff, especially cheaper stuff, can be 50% more than buying it at the local big box or wherever. I can only assume that for that stuff, I am paying my Prime membership for shipping, plus an additional "shipping and handling" charge or something.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 10:01:20 AM »

Why don't they just let some air out of the tires?

There ain't a billion dollar company in the world which doesn't spend millions on intensive market research to determine exactly how many pennies they can increase prices so that 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, etc people will stop buying the product.  All neatly graphed out.

That's how they got to be billion dollar companies.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2022, 10:26:33 AM »
Is Bezos using Amazon revenue to bolster his failing rocket company?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2022, 10:49:50 AM »
Is Bezos using Amazon revenue to bolster his failing rocket company?

It has to be coming from somewhere since he sure isn't making any on to orbit space launches (zero), selling engines (zero), and I doubt the handful of pop up and down tourist flights on the giant space penis have covered much.
Honestly I'm not sure where the money is coming from. Of course they could juggle the books to to say anything they want in that regard.

- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 10:54:56 AM »

I don't have prime and I haven't paid a dime in shipping to Amazon, it doesn't take much to get over the $35 to get free shipping.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2022, 11:12:30 AM »
I don't have prime and I haven't paid a dime in shipping to Amazon, it doesn't take much to get over the $35 to get free shipping.

Do you not have trouble with very long shipping delays?  I usually find that they won't even bother to ship an item for 3-5 days.  Yes, stocked and fulfilled by amazon.

Maybe they've gotten better about that since I walked away.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2022, 11:18:44 AM »
Do you not have trouble with very long shipping delays?  I usually find that they won't even bother to ship an item for 3-5 days.  Yes, stocked and fulfilled by amazon.

That seems the norm even if you have Prime now.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2022, 02:49:12 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2022, 03:48:34 PM »
Speaking of Jeff's  yacht. This just popped up this morning

And why is the answer not "you can't go there."?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2022, 03:50:07 PM »
--delete, misread it---

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2022, 03:52:29 PM »
 I dropped Prime a while back. I just don’t buy enough from them these days plus what I for what I do buy the “free shipping” that used to really suck has gotten a lot better. And what I do pay for shipping on a very few things the price for that is a lot lower than an annual prime membership.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2022, 03:53:39 PM »