Author Topic: Trying to remember a movie.  (Read 914 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Trying to remember a movie.
« on: February 27, 2022, 07:58:46 PM »
Been trying to remember a movie.
Basic plot was an immortal man that fakes his death and takes on a new identity every few decades.
During the movie he is a teacher or college professor. He decides it's time to move on but has a farewell dinner/gathering with his closest friends. During the farewell and explanation it is revealed over the course of many thousands of years he has had many famous identities including Jesus though he explains that he hadn't tried to pass himself off as the son of God. The last scene shows him saying good by to an elderly man and it is revealed.that he is the elderly man's father.
I would have sworn that it was Mark Ruffalo but IMDB shows nothing. This might have also been an episode on one of the sci-fi/unexplained  type tv anthologies.
Any ideas?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
Re: Trying to remember a movie.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 08:04:36 PM »
I remember watching that movie too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_from_Earth

There was a sequel, but I never saw it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 08:34:34 PM »
I think I that's it.  Now to see if I can find it to stream.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

robear

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 09:02:47 PM »
Interesting...   It's on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAX2RuZm-Fk

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 09:38:00 PM »
I guess the writers could resist throwing an anti-Christian viewpoint in it.  There were a number of different religions of all kinds that sprung up in the Roman empire of that time.  I would sooner believe it was his own arrogance considering what he just said about the limits of his own memory.  The part about Columbus and believing the Earth was flat bugs me a bit also. 

I might have to watch it and see. 

In general, if someone could be killed, the amazing part would be the the person had survived that long and hadn't been caught up in some disaster or war or famine.  Or just be killed by someone since he was always a stranger wherever he went. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 11:01:29 PM »
That was it. Don't know why I thought it was Mark Ruffalo.

Samuel Adams

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 11:09:10 AM »
In general, if someone could be killed, the amazing part would be the the person had survived that long and hadn't been caught up in some disaster or war or famine.  Or just be killed by someone since he was always a stranger wherever he went.

Boredom, ennui, culture shock, the knowledge that nobody shares your cultural values, etc. would seem to be major drawbacks to immortality, even after just a few hundred years, let alone thousands. I think the immortality fantasy springs from our fear of personal death, and the implications of actually living forever are rarely considered.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2022, 11:45:48 AM »
Boredom, ennui, culture shock, the knowledge that nobody shares your cultural values, etc. would seem to be major drawbacks to immortality, even after just a few hundred years, let alone thousands. I think the immortality fantasy springs from our fear of personal death, and the implications of actually living forever are rarely considered.

It's been explored a few times often with the person living forever going mad with boredom.
There's a good Star Trek Voyager episode about a member of the Q so bored he wants to die.   
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2022, 11:56:29 AM »
I think that was part of why the elves were how they were in Lord of the Rings among other fantasy worlds.  They generally stayed busy with their own affairs and the passing of time was a bit different for them.  It took serious affairs to get them involved in the outside world. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 12:30:59 PM »
Looking at the IMDB listing, I wouldn't have recognized William Katt if it weren't for the photo title.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 01:05:11 PM »
Looking at the IMDB listing, I wouldn't have recognized William Katt if it weren't for the photo title.

Brad

Yeah, The Greatest American Hero is looking a bit rough these days.

It took me a while to place Tony Todd, I knew the voice but had to look him up to see he played Worf's Brother Kurn on Star Trek. Three others in the cast are also Star Trek alumni, John Billingsley as Dr Flox on Enterprise, while David Lee Smith and Richard Riehle both had single episode roles in the franchise.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2022, 02:43:47 PM »

It took me a while to place Tony Todd, I knew the voice but had to look him up to see he played Worf's Brother Kurn on Star Trek.

Candyman

Candyman

Candyman.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 02:55:48 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2022, 04:02:08 PM »
Yeah, The Greatest American Hero is looking a bit rough these days.

It took me a while to place Tony Todd, I knew the voice but had to look him up to see he played Worf's Brother Kurn on Star Trek. Three others in the cast are also Star Trek alumni, John Billingsley as Dr Flox on Enterprise, while David Lee Smith and Richard Riehle both had single episode roles in the franchise.
Just shows how long ago that series took place.  Its the grey hair that does it more than anything for me.  Connie Sellecca still looks good pretty good.

One of the broadcast channels I receive at my house still plays reruns of Greatest American Hero.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2022, 04:32:00 PM »
I think that was part of why the elves were how they were in Lord of the Rings among other fantasy worlds.  They generally stayed busy with their own affairs and the passing of time was a bit different for them.  It took serious affairs to get them involved in the outside world.

The Gift of Men, to not be "bound to this world until its ending".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2022, 12:30:04 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2022, 11:53:10 PM »
This didn't go as far back (14,000 years) but this Twilight Zone episode was similar.  "Long Live Walter Jameson" starred Kevin McCarthy as a multi-millenial professor.
Walter Jameson is a successful history professor. He's been teaching for 12 years and has proven to be very popular with his students for his ability to bring his subject to life. He is engaged to Susanna Kittridge, his good friend Professor Sam Kittridge's daughter. One thing that Professor Kittridge has noticed about Walter is that he doesn't seem to have aged one bit in the 12 years they have known each other. Walter admits that he is far older than anyone can imagine but before he and Susanna can elope, someone from his past pays him a visit.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734588/?ref_=adv_li_tt
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”